1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I think there is a good chance for a Fathom Event screening because of the 'R' rating.

This is a story that should be able to stand on its own despite the connections, so I don't think that would be an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Weren't the ticket sales for Return of the Caped Crusader fairly lackluster compared to Killing Joke? I could see that as a reasoning against giving JLD a film screening :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #402 Frontier, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Yes, they were... so much so that Fathom ''declined'' to report numbers for some time after the event.

WB and Fathom will team up again, but I think they'll be very selective going forward. In spite of the R rating, I don't think Justice League Dark seems like an EVENT style production.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Otaku-sempai

Yes, that much is true and that might be an important consideration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine Justice League Dark could possibly sell more tickets because of the rating, and since it includes the likes of Zatanna, Constantine and Swamp Thing. And Batman too, of course. But we'll see.

Out of the movies we know for next year, I think the Harley Quinn one might have the best chances of getting a theatrical screening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Following the latest announcement for Teen Titans: The Judas Contract and the excellent sales for Batman: The Killing Joke, do you think we should see more comic adaptations in the DC Original Movies universe? The Killing Joke sold very well despite the varying reviews, likely because of the story it was based on. If The Judas Contract sells very well for the same reason despite not being a Justice League or Batman titled movie, it might make sense to try this out with other stories.

After seeing John Stewart in a clip of Justice League Dark, I would like see a Sinestro Corps War adaptation in the shared universe. Any thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, we know either that or Blackest Night was on the schedule. So we may well see. I think with recent news, DCA may start focusing on SHAZAM.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Oh yeah, Blackest Night would work too. I just want some more Green Lantern love. Plus Green Lantern: The Animated Series episodes could finally be included on one of these sets as bonus features! So Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night, let's go!

I think DC could simply re-release Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam when Shazam comes out like they re-releases Batman: Assault on Arkham when Suicide Squad came out in theatres.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I think the third, out-of-continuity, movie slot has a 50% chance of being an adaption, though I do think it'll be interesting to see how much of the in-continuity films going forward will base themselves on a specific story or market themselves as a direct adaption like The Judas Contract o_O.

The continuity started out with direct adaptions but have slowly but surely become more looser or prone to completely original stories combining elements from different comics. So it'll be interesting to see what the balance is going forward...

I think we're still a ways off from them doing something GL based, at least until we get closer to the movie, though if they ever want to do something Cosmic based, I would love it if they adapted Sinestro Corps. War as a Justice League movie and used it to focus on all the Earth GL's and cosmic Leaguer's :D.

Movie-wise, I think we'll likely see something to promote Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman going forward as those are the next major solo movies :).

• Like Like x 1
    #410 Frontier, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'd prefer a Green Lantern titled movie with some cosmic Leaguer then the League taking the title of someone else's movie like Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. But I know what you mean,
    I'm not sure about that. We didn't see anything for Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad last year or Wonder Woman this year. Justice League Dark is pretty unrelated to the main team.

We did see Batman: Assault on Arkham re-released in time for Suicide Squad with a new movie-stylized cover so I wouldn't be surprised if we get the same thing for Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman rather than new movies.

So I'd prefer we get a Green Lantern movie because that's what DC wants to do rather than wait all the way until the Green Lantern Corps movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Active Member

I also hope Blackest Night, but not only focused on the GLs, like in the comics, big roles for Hal Jordan, Flash, Atom and Mera!

A lot of Green Lantern, but also a lot of DC Universe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It could be a lag time in corporate synergy.

Agreed, but we shouldn't hold our breath either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe it's just because I really enjoyed the Showcase series and would love to see more, but I wonder if it might be practical to do Showcase short movies to spotlight a character getting a movie around the time of the release of their film? To at least get something of note out there to promote that character :)?

Of course, with all the different venues or lines of products DC Animation has at their disposal, I'm sure they'll think of something :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I loved how they made that Nightwing and Robin short for Throne of Atlantis to continue the story of Batman's case while he went off on JL business. I think they could make more of these stories on a digital platform like with DCSHG and the CWverse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Otaku-sempai

What would you like to see released under the "DC Classic Original Movie" imprint? Some ideas of my own:

- Wonder Woman '77 (suggested by many others)
    - The Adventures of Superman/Superman '52 (George Reeves era)
    - The Fleischer Studios Superman (based on the animated shorts)
    - Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil (adapting the Matt Smith miniseries)
    - Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew
    - Batman and the Monster Men (adapting the Matt Wagner mini)
    - Batman and the Mad Monk (adapting the Matt Wagner mini)
    - The New Teen Titans: Games (adapting the graphic novel by Marv Wolfman & George Perez)
    - Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 (based on the mini)

• Like Like x 2
  17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen a Green Arrow solo. The one adaptation I can imagine is "Long Bow Hunters".

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Otaku-sempai

I would be totally behind an adaptation of Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters. I could also see that as a live-action feature. I think that this line is intended to remain family friendly; that might leave out this particular story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #418 Otaku-sempai, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious to see what exactly the DC Classics line will entail going forward. While I can definitely understand the Adam West Batman show and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman as "classic," it's a vague enough descriptor that they could apply it to practically anything...

I could also see them doing an adaption of "Green Arrow: Year One" :cool:.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Nice list. I didn't think of it more than Adam West's Batman and Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. Like I said, Wonder Woman is a must.

Fleischer Superman would be great and I thought a Super Friends movie would be likely. Any other classic animation would probably be Superman/Superboy, Batman and Robin, or Aquaman.

It's cool that Jeff Smith, creator of Bone, worked on a Shazam comic. Maybe something based on the classic Shazam show would be feasible. I think a Flash movie based on the 90's show would be perfect with John Wesley Shipp as well. That's probably my thoughts for live-action unless they wanted to cover movies like Michael Keaton's Batman.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.