1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Okay, I think we already knew (or guessed) that the 'Batman 66 animated movie was not part of the DC Universe Animated Orginal Movie line. But no news about it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nothing yet. I've been trying to search and see if there's any Batman '66 related panels going on but haven't seen anything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think Batman '66 is a special case. It certainly isn't a surprise to us fans, but they may be withholding marketing for a purpose. No prob there.

I'm thinking the smart thing is to cross promote these with the theatrical films. Bruce Timm said that years ago, and in this day and age we finally got our wish because of the live action films. My one disappointment is that we get various filmmaker talent for some of these films. I mean specifically bts talent like Lauren Montgomery for Aquaman or Birds of Prey. I just wish theyd mix up some more. I know she no longer works at WBA, but just a wish.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Great batch of movies for next year. I'm just wondering where O'Mara's Batman will show up... you know he'll appear (whether we want it or not).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, he's not exactly wrong. I mean, there's a reason most people think they're more Damian Wayne movies then Batman movies (and Bad Blood was basically a Nightwing solo) :p.

I would think that part of the plan would be to time other solo's with upcoming DCEU solo movies, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be, especially with the current announced slate of animated movies :ack:.

Maybe we could see a Wonder Woman solo after the (hopeful) success of her live-action film :D?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They sort of did at first when the line first started. But as time went on...

It would be great if different divisions of WB had that level of synergy but I would think that when DC live movies makes a decision on a movie and when WBA makes a decision on a movie is wildly different. DC live thinks in years. WBA has a year or so. So when DC Live changes their lineup of movies or adds a title or whatever, WBA can't suddenly put on the brakes and push a movie back or forward and start on a new one all of sudden (hypothetically DC Live says WW in July 2016, WBA starts on WW for July 2016 -- 6 months later DC Live says GL in July 2016 and WW in November 2016, WBA can't push their WW to November).

But yes, would love to see another one happen. And after all these ensemble series, a solo WW animated series. Pity it doesn't look like there's going to be a WW 75 short.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bat16

bat16 Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Otaku-sempai

• Like Like x 1
    #349 Otaku-sempai, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Conroy and Hamill allegedly dropped hints at Hush and Death in the Family. Hush seems like the an obvious choice for a remaining classic Batman story that deserves to be adapted. I sort of feel like the 5 minute adaptation of Death in the Family from Under the Red Hood was enough... Now, Death OF the Family, I could get behind.

http://www.screengeek.net/2016/09/0...-at-doing-hush-or-a-death-in-the-family-next/

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm...yeah, I don't think we really need to see Death in the Family adapted given Under the Red Hood used that story so effectively :ack:.

I guess if they wanted to do a big, bombastic, Batman movie that showcased Batman's world and the Rogues Gallery and celebrated the character, I could see them doing a Hush adaption. That would also be the only context I could see requiring using Conroy and Hamill as Batman and Joker again in the movie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. the greenman

I'm still waiting on Long Halloween, those others work too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Otaku-sempai

I don't think that Batman: The Long Halloween could be easily adapted into an animated movie unless it was in more than one part. The story is just too long and too complex.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

But it can still work, so long as they respect the source material and do what the can to continue the story in seperate segments ala TDKR style. If they changes the character designs from the original story, that might be discerning, but so long as they respect the original story, and if the animation itself is still good I'll get behind it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

I recently read Hush for the first time and thought it may not work well as a film. It's too episodic and more like short stories interconnected. I really liked it though, except for the ending. Felt it was a bit too much of a build up for so little pay off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Just to play devil's advocate, if you can adapt All-Star Superman into a movie, you probably can do it for Hush, despite the episodic feel of the story arc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

This is excellent news for me. I love both of those comics and to see them animated would be a treat!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

This sounds like wishful thinking to me, as oppossed to dropping hints. Still, always nice to know that they are ready and willing to do more with the characters.

Hush is due some kind of adaptation, even if the story is rather weak (perhaps pulling from Paul Dini's Heart of Hush storyline could help).

In fact, they should do Hush or The Long Halloween as a 13 episode limited series on Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. the greenman

Back when they started these films in 2009, TDKR and Killing Joke were wishful thinking too. Anything is possible, though I would put these are far more chanceful than GL: Blackest Night or Longbow Hunters simply cause they're Batman stories. He stays in heavy rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Well, I didn't like All-Star Superman at all, so I guess that's where I'm coming from! I'm not saying they literally CAN'T adapt it, of course they can. I'm just saying it might not work... if they find a way to make it work and have a compelling story... go for it!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.