1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

In the Tucker era, typically between July 9-25. There some outliers like May 30, 2013 or June 27, 2014 when James Harvey reported on War and Throne of Atlantis titles being confirmed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay, so we're still a ways off from when we generally get that news. Adds a little more salt to this Justice League Dark movie news ;).

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm conflicted. Isnt there a Batman '66 coming up? At the same time JLDark is probably in the proper DCAU films.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Batman '66 is still unconfirmed and we don't know if it will be offered through the DC Universe line or through the Original Movie line that has titles like Batman Unlimited or LEGO Justice League. I think it will be the latter considering the content and rating of '66.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff New Member

I don't see why the information coming from the BBFC, regarding the sneak peak attached to Batman: The Killing Joke wouldn't be valid, seeing as the BBFC is responsible for rating both film and home releases (including bonus material) in the UK. The date of classification for the sneak peek is listed as 03/06/16 (06/03/16).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't worry about it. Different people have different interpretations of online sources of information.

We already know two bits of info about Justice League Dark previously to your discovery. As a recap they were:
    *January 30, 2014: Q&A from Paley Center LA. Doing some form of Justice League Dark has been talked about.
    *January 20, 2016: J.M. DeMatteis reveals the DC Universe crew came close to doing a Justice League Dark movie in 2015 that would have prominently featured Etrigan

• Like Like x 2
  7. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Considering the source, I don't see any reason why we should doubt this. It looks like Justice League Dark is next up (for 2017?). That's a solid lead, and great detective work on the part of poster DJMcNiff.

Adam West seems to be under the impression that we may see the Batman '66 animated movie in November 2016, but I don't think that that will be part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line.

• Like Like x 2
    #287 Otaku-sempai, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  8. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff New Member

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. The sneak peek, first came to my attention when it was mentioned in Blu-Ray.com's Batman: The Killing Joke thread. Though I was the one to find it on BBFC's website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Otaku-sempai

Maybe so, but I haven't seen a press release yet for B:TKJ that has identified the title of the next DCUAOM.

• Like Like x 1
    #289 Otaku-sempai, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  10. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

WBA seems notorious for keeping things close to the chest. Remember that JL Target exclusive came out of nowhere.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Very interesting.

I'm in favor of using the JL to introduce characters who might not get their own movie otherwise. However, if it's going to be a movie in which the Big Seven can't cut it against some occult villain, and the JLD has to come in and save the day, then I hope they don't bother featuring the main JL team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Um, that's how they've been using the JL movies lately...

In any case after Orm and the trident then Trigon and his demons; I would suspect at least Batman would be astute enough see a need to expand the League with magic users or create an auxiliary team devoted solely to dealing with supernatural threats.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Heeroyuy_Batman

If Justice League Dark is the next movie after B: TKJ, then it's probably either an original story or a loose adaptation of Trinity War.

14. Otaku-sempai

My first thought was that Justice League Dark would be a stand-alone; however, would they release another one so soon after The Killing Joke?

• Like Like x 1
    #294 Otaku-sempai, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's certainly a logical progression for the group to look into expanding the League with heroes with more natural magic expertise then, say, Shazam or Wonder Woman, or developing a sub-group to handle magic/supernatural based threats after they were majorly compromised in their last two encounters with major magic based threats :eek:.

I'm wondering what the roster could look like:

- Zatanna is probably a given, and I could see them including her history and past relationship with Batman to bridge a connection between the League and the JLD. It also gives them an opportunity/excuse to put Batman in there :p.

- This would be a good opportunity to have Constantine finally make his animated debut. I wonder if they could get Matt Ryan to reprise his role ;)?

- Deadman is probably a sure bet, I think. Also be nice to see Madame Xanadu :D.

- The original script, per J.M. DeMatteis, involved Etrigan so I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up.

- I wonder if they might fit in any of the other magic-users or Supernatural beings of the DCU get involved with the group, like Dr. Fate, The Specter, or the Phantom Stranger :cool:?

Yeah, I think if Justice League Dark is the next movie, it's probably going to be in-continuity rather then a complete standalone given we get two a year and the stand-alones are usually followed by an in-continuity movie :).

16. Otaku-sempai

You mean two in-continuity animated movies plus one stand-alone, right? Because that has been the pattern for a while now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, we know they came close to doing a Trinity script but couldn't get it right.

Shazam and Wonder Woman weren't too effective against the Trident. And the latter, didn't do very well against Trigon. I doubt Shazam would've fared any better. They need spell casters, imo, not more with magic/supernatural origins. There was even that line in Khandaq where I forget off the top of my head, WW admitted they couldn't stop Trigon.

That's the roster I thought of as well. I doubt it but Shade and Amethyst would be cool, too, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Member

Actually, Trinity War and Trinity are two totally different things. Trinity was a series starring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, and is often used to refer to DC's three top heroes. Trinity War on the other hand, was a crossover storyline DC published early on in the New 52, following the Throne of Atlantis story arc, focused on a fight that erupted between the tree Justice League Teams- the classic Justice League, the magic-based Justice League Dark, and the government run Justice League of America.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I was merely implying a script focusing on the Trinity was at least attempted recently, so a Trinity War movie might not be that far off. But to the point, I don't think we need a movie about three Justice Leagues fighting each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

For the record, always trust the BBFC.

Anyway, The Hollywood Reporter has now picked up news on Justice League: Dark. Not only that, but Wes Gleason (Casting and Voice director) has retweeted them.

He also responded to a fan request asking for Matt Ryan (Live action Constantine) to reprise his role. His response? We'll see.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.