DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure. Since McDuffie passed away I heard the widow has tied things up with the rights. Not certain how, but I think it's more of an issue with the writers of the books not utilizing the characters. We were actually lucky Greg Weisman knew the Milestone comics (particularly Static and Icon) to even consider them on YJ where they fit in.

EDIT: As far as I remember it seems to be a situation similar to the dtv line. DC only sees the big 2, anything outside of that is a hard sell to them.
    Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    #261 the greenman, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I don't think that's accurate. My understanding is that DC has never owned Milestone, but only served as its publisher. However, I am not privy to the details of any agreements between the two companies.

3. RoyThomasConan

I remember back several years ago (2010 maybe?) it was announced at Comic-Con that Milestone was being folded into DC proper, and since Young Justice and Young Justice Invasion along the upcoming Static project are all post Dwayne McDuffie's passing, i think it's safe to say. Static also joined the Titans in the comics around that time. I know for a fact Milestone characters were again announced for the New52 just last year. I'm also pretty sure Milestone crumbled post 1997. They're sort of Malibu at Marvel, only the characters get minimum acknowledgement instead on none at all.

EDIT: Found confirmation, it was in 2008, not 2010, sorry I was so off
    http://www.newsarama.com/620-sdcc-08-milestone-is-back-and-in-the-dcu.html Here they were working with Dwayne before his passing.
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/0...f-the-milestone-universe-with-the-creation-of
    And here was their announcement last year.

4. Otaku-sempai

Yes, I know about Milestone 2.0 (which is continuing for some reason without Milestone co-founder Michael Davis). The death of Dwayne McDuffie and the New-52 reboot seem to have put a crimp in the original plan. However, I am fairly sure that Milestone is retaining ownership of their characters even as they continue to partner with DC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hard to say because I don't know if they can publicly confirm rights issues. I'll try and ask Mr. Tucker.

But for the DC Universe, McDuffie tried to use Static, Hardware, and Icon for Crisis on Two Earths but it got shot down as drafts got turned in and it led to the line up of support heroes Batman summons in the movie but just a few years later, Rocket, Hardware, and Static appeared on Young Justice, a television series. The legal landscape is always changing it seems. But then again in a related manner, they managed to get Wildstorm's Grifter for Flashpoint Paradox.

• Like Like x 1
  6. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but didn't Jim Lee sell off Wildstorm to DC?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case, and compared to the Milestone characters DC is still making some use out of the Wildstorm characters given Midnighter currently has an ongoing. So it's a completely different situation compared to DC and Milestone.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

2/16: Unfortunately, Mr. Tucker isn't sure at the moment about Milestone rights. But he also confirmed for time being Answer Studio will animate Batman movies and Moi will do the JL ones.

3/3: If you have Google Play, there's a 25 movie collection on sale for $99.99 (Superman Doomsday up to Gods and Monsters).

3/26: From the JLvs.TT panel at Wonder Con
    *On the chances of a Teen Titans movie, James Tucker was quoted saying
    Keep in mind, he meant to say digital. The physical release is still April 12.

*On Starfire being the leader

• Like Like x 1
  9. beyond94

beyond94 Member

really hope the next WB animated Justice League New 52 movie is more of a Wonder Woman centric story and the main antagonist is Grail. Taking elements of a comic book story when Diana and Grail fought with Superman Batman and the rest of JL involved especially Aquaman as a full member with Cyborg joining the Teen Titans and Grail turning Steve Trevor into one of her slaves of war, The introduction of the new 52 Barda would be interesting to see which will also have heroes from other worlds in future animated movies. If Alan Burnett, James Tucker, and Mike Carlin were to do such a story it would be a real thrill since the mixed reaction of Justice League Vs Teen Titans. My dream voice cast would be Jaimie Alexander of Blindspot as Wonder Woman, Katie Cassidy as Grail Brandon Routh as Superman, Jason O'Mara as Batman, Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, Sean Astin as Shazam, Matt Lanter as Aquaman & Christina Wren of Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice as Barda. With the supporting cast such as George Newbern as. Col Trevor among others. This would also be a little bit of a continuing story from Justice League War with Darkseid's daughter being the villain.I hope this will be turned into one of their 2017 animated features

10. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

In the year of Justice League i hope more than 3 animated films!
    January - Harley Quinn goes to Comic Con!
    March - Justice League Darkseid War (enter Mister Miracle!)
    June - Batman/Wonder Woman Hiketeia (in June, the month of WW movie! :) )
    October - Justice League REBIRTH (back to classic! Enter Atom)
    December - Justice League Christmas Special

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Phil Bourassa posted designs for Scarecrow from Nightwing and Robin short in Throne of Atlantis release and Penguin from Bad Blood.
    -both
    -Penguin
    -Scarecrow

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not my favorite Scarecrow design (a little too simple maybe? Scarf is interesting), but I really like his Penguin :D.

Bourassa is working his way to redesigning Batman's entire Rogues Gallery :p.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Phil Bourassa posted some Beast Boy model sheets. In the comment section of one of the posts, someone asked him if there's more Titans movies and Bourassa replied "yup." Sweet. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if we might switch off the dynamic of Justice League/Batman movies for a Justice League/Teen Titans dynamic :D?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Otaku-sempai

Bleeding Cool's Erin Manzo reports that Adam West and Burt Ward were on stage together at Megacon, speaking about a project that they have been working on together that should be out later this year. They could not be more specific, but if this is the Batman '66 animated movie that they were discussing then it seems to be on track for a November 2016 release.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hope we get some more concrete info about that soon :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff New Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yojimbo, is there a general time when we get an inkling as to what the next movie is, beyond the Comic-Con announcements? I'm trying to recall a timeframe :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.