1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Green lantern and Swamp Thing is a thought. Constantine is good too.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Constantine is a good guess! I recall they talked about doing a JL Dark DTV at some point. Vertigo has always been a question back when the line started. Back in NYCC 2013, WF recorded
    I was thinking Catwoman in relation to The Dark Knight Rises and the fact she's the only character left from Batman's vision in Batman vs Robin left to appear in a feature role.

• Like Like x 2
    #182 Yojimbo, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Maybe not John Constantine by himself, but as part of another story? Maybe adapting a Swamp Thing or Justice League Dark arc?

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not really a fan of Constantine but I guess a Justice League Dark movie could be fun.

Didn't even think of Catwoman, I figured she could still be used in any of the subsequent Batman solo movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Justice League Dark? Yuck!

I hope it's Green Lantern. Or Wonder Woman. Or Superman. Or anyone who's not Batman or the Justice League (as a whole)!

I know those movies sell well, but out of three movies a year, one can be another hero. Superman's last movie was in 2013. After that, it's been Batman or Justice League. I'll take a Catwoman feature even if it's a Catwoman focused Batman feature. But seeing DC's live-action shows and movies expand upon Batman (Gotham, Batman V. Superman aside), I want to see other heroes receive attention.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

About time somebody else said it best. DC Animation is really getting me fed up with how "Dark and Edgy" their films are! And Justice League Dark?! Yeah, that title alone is really friggin stupid! And what they did with Zatanna is just... Eh.

Seriously it's always Batman, always "Edgy and More Adult!" and it's getting repetitive as it is pretentious and lack luster! I don't wanna see just another, grim and Fo-serious movie with gore and trigger words, I just wanna see a movie with a superhero helping people, fighting crime, and just being a superhero.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For all the blood and death in Thrones of Atlnatis, I don't think it was a grim and gory movie...

Thinking on it, Constantine would fit under being a new character they could debut in animation since he's never been in a cartoon before. Most of the major members of the Justice League Dark have by comparison.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Me neither. But for years they've tried something with getting Vertigo characters like Swamp Thing in a movie but it never panned out. They must have an outline or script they really want to use. I'm still in awe when I play Flashpoint Paradox and there's Grifter! Swamp Thing could use some animation redemption.

Maybe the former, the old news links I have mention only Vertigo or Swamp Thing. Nothing about JLD. I was mistaken.

Tucker said that's going to happen in the near future. Solo Superman and Green Arrow movies have at least been discussed. Blackest Night and Sinestro Corps comes up in discussions. We just need a little more patience. When the live action movies kick off, hopefully we'll see some synergy in action and we'll finally get solo movies again that aren't Batman or Justice League.

I can't believe you said that. In this day and age, there's such a varied selection of choose from -- there's no justification for whining in the degree you have been about this line. There's the PG-13 group in the DC Universe DTVs, assorted Gods and Monsters content, recently Vixen and there's the PG group with DC Super Hero Girls and LEGO Justice League (Batman Unlimited and DC Super Friends recently), the middle ground with Teen Titans Go! (and the still unconfirmed Justice League Action) television series. If you don't like the DTV, fine no problem -- don't gripe, move on to the other stuff. You have so many choices. 23 years ago, there was just BTAS. Simpler times.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Troy Troodon

I said what I said because I want to enjoy the DTV line up to. I criticize for the dour tones and unlikeable characters in the Justice League War movies and the Son of Batman movies, but I did like Assault on Arkham and Justice League: Gods and Monsters. I just wish they made more movies based stuff other than Batman or Justice League, and make them more light hearted just like they did before they adapted the New52 stuff. I want to have fun with these movies again, but watching movies where the Justice League are hypocrites and where Batman is the center of the Universe, is not fun.

Yes I liked Vixen! Yes I liked the more kid friendly stuff (Save for TTGO!) I'm just saying this as is: The DTV line for DC animated movies need to a break from the Dark and Gritty and adapt stories where the heroes are heroic, make another Superman movie, or make a Flash movie, and show him as being kind and decent, so that we can like him as a protagonist.

I'm not trying to be the supreme abrader who determines what people can or can't like, I merely state my own reasons for why I or other people don't like them and give thoughts on making something better.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think compared to their depiction in War, the League looked a lot better and more heroic by comparison, even if Hal was still kinda an idiot, Batman was a jerk, and Wonder Woman felt the need to cut up Atlantean soldiers. Though I wouldn't call it dour, which I think better fits Flashpoint Paradox.

I personally found Aquaman and Mera to be fairly likeable myself, which was partially the goal of the movie :).

11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Oh gosh, no. Please, keep the supernatural stuff away. I didn't watch last week's Arrow because he was in it. The first episode of Arrow I missed too. Everyone seems to think it's fine to include these characters, but for some people, these characters go against our religious beliefs. Just another way of seeing while I don't want that character or Justice League Dark getting any more exposure. That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

I absolutely agree. While I like DC's direct-to-video movies, I felt the quality was wavering with Justice League War and Son of Batman. Otherwise, while I would like a lighter tone, I'm fine with the current tone. What I don't care for is the bloody violence. The fights don't need to be that violent. I find Teen Titans Go! funny, so I can jump between the different tones. My biggest desire for change in the DC movies would be focus on other characters. Three years of Batman/Justice League (after next year) and you might recognize why I'd like to see other characters in the spotlight. More females and minorities in the lead role would be cool. Vixen was a great example except it was a web series.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Troy Troodon

My biggest criticism for the current line up is the lack of story focus and character development. (Again save for Gods and Monsters) What makes superheroes so great is not that they kick ass, but they're also compassionate, honorable and noble, the modern counterparts of fictional heroes of Knighterrant lore. They wanna do good and inspire hope for the people they protect. Take any complexity of the character and make him/her arrogant, angsty, and self-righteous and you loose the heroic spirit.

13. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I for one would love to see an animated SWAMP THING. Maybe "The Anatomy Lesson" could be adapted. No Constantine but the JL appears in the finale arc of the story.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Light hearted? Just for the record, which movies do you consider light hearted in this line?

So your suggestion of showing them fighting crime -- that's vague. What's 'crime' to you because that's happening in the movies just in large scale. Or a 'superhero helping people' - like what? Because that's again vague and in War Wonder Woman and Superman saved the President and First Lady. Or GL saved the woman from a Parademon. Or Batman vs. Robin, Robin saved that couple from the two gangbangers.

This is what I'm liking about this continuity, from the start and as you watch each movie, they're a little bit more likeable. Or supposed to be anyway. I don't think this was meant to be the same old Justice League - they all get along and are super relatable right from the start. The opposite of Super Friends. Things start off abrasive and they continue growing, slowly albeit because it's only 2 1 hour long movies a year. But it's something different. It's not something that's been done before. And I can appreciate that. Even on Justice League, some were already chums with each other.

Well that's not really fair, that was the start of the new canon. Course it was going to be a little shaky of a start.

Fighting by definition is 'violent'... But I agree some of them are 'over the top.' Like Robin vs. Deathstroke. Woof. Even Robin vs. Ubu. I can see the argument for 'too gratuitous' at times such as blood but it is PG-13. Or gratuitous in the sense of Wonder Woman or Superman's methods of fighting? I'd have rewatch but are they same in War and in Throne of Atlantis exactly?

We're already seeing that with Aquaman and Mera in Throne of Atlantis, Robin and Talon in Court of Owls, and in Bad Blood - I mean, come on, you're getting Nightwing trying to be Batman, Robin trying to be his sidekick, Batwoman, and Batwing. This line is progressing. Let's not pretend these Batman movies are 100% Batman and these JL movies are 100% JL.

Before I can reply to this, which characters aren't getting development and which movies don't have story focus in your opinion?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the movies do have a bit of an issue with gratuitous violence and being more bloody or gory then they really need to be, considering how many characters get torn up, killed, and sliced open in these films. Which I think became more of a trend after they adapted the Dark Knight Returns.

I mean, I'm not saying they should abstain from addressing more adult themes or depictions of the character, though what that actually means is probably subjective. I'm also not saying that we can't have more brutal fights or consequences from said fights, within reason of course, that they probably couldn't get away with for a regular cartoon on TV. Just that they can do so without having to have Wonder Woman cut up Parademons or Atlantean soldiers left and right with her sword or have so much blood and death. Only a thought on my part ;).

Though moving back to discussing future movies, I'm remembering that tweet around the time of ToA of the crew working with Stana Katic again, so I wonder if she might be part of the Justice League vs. Teen Titans cast since she's evidently not reprising Lois for this new continuity?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. It's highly possible. That tweet was April 4, 2014. And also when Greg Cipes and Tara Strong took to Twitter for that tirade about not being cast for a Titans animated movie, that was August 26, 2014.

For comparison, voice recording for Justice League: Throne of Atlantis was underway by July 23, 2013. And Throne of Atlantis released on January 27, 2015. A little over a year and a half later.

And the second movie of the 2015 slate, Batman vs. Robin, did release April 14, 2015. So if Katic was recording in April 2014, and the release of Justice League vs Teen Titans will be April 2016 -- that is about two years later.

You might be on to something. I'll have to listen to Katic's voice to think about who she could voice... Raven?

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My first thought was Starfire, actually, since she's probably going to be in it as well but I could see her fitting as Raven :).

That also probably means their recording for the 2017 movies around now or in the past few months, right?

#197 Frontier, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah. Maybe. It's possible they already did or some of the recording already. On October 8, Tucker said they were in preproduction for the 2017 slate already. Whatever 'preproduction' entails. If recording is before that, they could have started records as early as July after Comic Con, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

You shouldn't let your religion interefere with you enjoying something.

#199 Bestmand902, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
  20. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

If Religion doesn't interfere, then it isn't really a religion. Or he would just be a false convert to that religion, at which point it would be like, what's the point. This is why some people hate Religious people, cause some of them are not convicted of their own beliefs.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.