1. Enter for a chance to win "Digimon Adventure tri.: Reunion" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  3. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

The strategy may be working. The responses I have seen on sites like IMDb seem to be from persons who have either seen the premieres at various cons or who have purchased the digital downloads.

2. Skelly

Skelly Member

When I watch Justice League Unlimited on Netflix, the music constantly overpowers the dialogue.
    What sound mixers usually do is lower the volume of the music when it's time for a character to speak, but it seems like that's not what they did for JLU.
    I can't imagine they would have let the episodes leave the studio without having done this very basic procedure; does the recent Blu-ray release also have such a bizarre sound mix, where the dialogue is constantly at odds with the music?

3. Egon

Egon New Member

I don't recall that being an issue with the DVD release, though it's been a few months since I popped that in. I sure hope the blu-ray doesn't introduce such a problem.

4. Duplica

Duplica New Member

Hi, this looks like the best thread to ask about this. Does anyone know if Warner discontinued the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Blu-ray? Everywhere I look for this nobody has it in-stock besides some eBay scalpers.

Also, what is the likelihood of Warner Archive at least doing a DVD print-on-demand release of Static Shock and The Zeta Project? It sure would be nice to own the complete series of both of those titles.

#144 Duplica, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  5. A Brisk Autumn Day

How can we get Static Shock and the rest of the Zeta Project a DVD release?
    Personally, I want to complete my DCAU DVD collection. But I can't because, well, they won't release any more than 6 episodes of Static Shock, or more than the first season of the Zeta Project. And there don't seem to be any bootlegs available...not that I condone resorting to that, heh heh... Personally, I'm trying to email and send letters to much of the WB staff, but I doubt that will do anything.
    Just figure sitting around and waiting for these releases isn't going to do much.
    Hell, even "Gotham Girls" was released, but they can't even give us Static Shock. Why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I wholeheartedly agree with you as do a lot of regulars at this forum. At one point, Warner Archive seemed like the best shot at it but to no avail. It's going to be really hard because those aren't series with as much recognition as Batman to justify a release so I would think only in a Burn on Demand service or an anniversary promotion or live action tie-in release. I think it always helps to have people keep asking Warner Archive and Warner Home Entertainment on their twitter and other social media accounts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It would be cool to see those series get a DVD release, unless if the creators or the staff behind these series want to ever go into this consideration, that is the only way that would work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. A Brisk Autumn Day

Do you have any specific email addresses or snail mail addresses to use? I'm trying the basic Warner Brothers address, but finding the people who would really be specifically involved in these releases is a lot tougher.

I personally encourage anyone on here to try and contact them. I am sending a few letters their way and have already emailed a generic customer service wing.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. A Brisk Autumn Day

Would Bruce Timm or anyone else on the team have any power in this whatsoever? Even a little influence?

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope. We wish. They just make 'em.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wish that Static Shock could get a DVD release. That show was really good and owning a physical copy would be neat. I can see why it didn't happen given that Static wouldn't have the same brand recognition as their big superheroes like Batman or Superman, but the show was fun to watch. Maybe something will happen whenever that live-action reboot gets off the ground, although I don't know if plans for that were scrapped at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. A Brisk Autumn Day

I just can't believe they released season 1 of Zeta, but not Static. Static was the more popular show from what I understand, with more of an influence on the DCAU. Then it's like, might as well finish up Zeta, especially when season 2 is usually considered the better season by fans. O_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

You guys have unusually rosy memories of that episode where the NBA players guest-starred and gained superpowers. And Li'l Romeo. Just saying.

Static didn't have more influence on the DCAU than Zeta; it's about even. Zeta and Terry crossed over on each other's respective shows, while Static guest-starred on JLU. Static met a lot of DC characters but his influence outside of his own series was low.

Another gripe....I don't know what was up with Harley Quinn on her episode; it was like somebody barely knew what she was like and wrote off a rough outline. "Puns are my thing, baby!" No they're not, puns are NOT your thing, you don't talk that way! Except here. What's really confusing is that i seem to remember a Paul Dini writing credit!

I dunno. If the death of Dwayne MacDuffie didn't lionize this series into a DVD print, then no other force can.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Every series had its duds, Peter. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. A Brisk Autumn Day

It's mainly because I'm going for completion, honestly, and I would like to be able to watch the show. I have not seen much Static Shock. Although many whom I trust the opinions of found it enjoyable more often than there were celebrity guest stars. xD

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't say that it had more of an influence on the DCAU. Static appeared in a JLU episode and had many crossovers with other DC superheroes, but that was about it. Static was definitely more popular than the Zeta Project though. I remember that the Zeta Project was okay. The series finale and the crossover episode with Batman Beyond are what I remember the most about the series, so I can't really give much more to the series beyond that. While I liked a lot of the Kid's WB superhero/action series back in the day, Zeta was one of the series that never caught my attention. Static Shock was always more fun and interesting to watch by comparison.

Trust me, I remember those episodes. While Static Shock is usually remembered pretty fondly from what I've seen, people still acknowledged its flaws. The fact that the series got so crossover heavy was in particular a pretty big problem, especially for the later seasons. Most of the super hero crossovers were fine, although I recall the Superman one being kind of weak too, but the NBA players with super heroes was pretty bad. I'm pretty sure it's widely remembered as one of, if not the worst episode in the entire series. I remember the Li'l Romeo crossover being more weird than bad, but it wouldn't surprised me if it was bad upon rewatching it.

I'm not sure about that. They'd probably want a different reason to put the series on DVD than Dwayne's sad untimely passing.

18. A Brisk Autumn Day

So theoretically, I could contact Warner Archive and hope that they would give me a copy of the episodes? I've actually never heard of it before, so I do not know how it works.

#158 A Brisk Autumn Day, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you misread that quote. I meant Bruce Timm and co. just produce the shows and movies. They don't have any real influence on what gets released when. They can't just walk into an office and tell someone at Home Entertainment to put this show on DVD and it gets done.

The only possibilities I can guess for Static is a burn on demand service or if Blue Ribbon Content ever gets that live action Static show done -- and animation does a tie-in release of the animated series.

20. A Brisk Autumn Day

Sorry, I was referring to the Archives thing that you mentioned earlier. I'm not exactly sure how that service functions.