1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, probably spring or fall based on the past 3+ years WAC released DC animated properties:

Batman: The Brave and The Bold season one came out on November 5, 2013
    Beware The Batman season one part one came out on February 18, 2014
    Green Lantern: The Animated Series came out on March 18, 2014
    Young Justice Season One came out on August 12, 2014
    Beware The Batman season one part two came out on September 30, 2014
    Young Justice Invasion came out on November 18, 2014
    Batman: The Brave and The Bold season two came out on April 7, 2015
    Teen Titans Go! season one came out on April 21, 2015
    Justice League Unlimited came out November 10, 2015

So based on precedent: it could be either February, March, April, August, September, or November.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

Would love to see Static Shock released in its entirety and see the completion of Zeta Project (vastly under-rated IMO). I would also like to see the other Kids WB/DC series Legion of Super-Heroes Season 2 released. That show was immensely fun and seems to have been lost or forgotten by many.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, that's 3 out of 4 old shows I'm hoping gets released in their entirety sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

This news makes me so happy! I am a completionist and my shelf NEEDS ZP S2 and SS in their entirety! I'm hoping earlier in the year rather than later!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. A Brisk Autumn Day

I am as well. I'm honestly wondering that if, yes, IF they do end up doing a release, if they will be all at once, or spread out. Like, maybe we'd get Zeta season 2 in the spring and Static Shock in the fall or something else? Maybe the Static Shock seasons would be spread out over a few years? Hard to say, really. Luckily since it's Warner Archive, we may not have to be put through that. I never expect things like this to be best case scenario, though, so I'm just assuming later in the year if at all while hoping to be proven wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dallas Kinard

My recent conversation on FB messenger with WAC:

upload_2017-1-24_7-38-3.png

upload_2017-1-24_7-39-21.png
    upload_2017-1-24_7-40-5.png

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. A Brisk Autumn Day

Another page on Facebook got ahold of the post, and told their fans to go comment on it to help it gain a little more traction too! Pretty cool!

Update: I guess I don't know how to display the image without having to click on it. x_X

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dallas Kinard

Update: Sounds promising!

upload_2017-1-25_7-29-21.png

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Kirben

Kirben Member

DC animation series been reduced to DVD-R releases via Warner Archive isn't good at all, might as well be the end of physical releases for the series. It wouldn't be so bad if they were initially pressed discs, but Warner Bros. cartoon series from the 1990s and 2000s have only been released on DVD-R via Warner Archive so far.

I can't see Blu-ray releases happening, as Static Shock and Zeta Project seem to have started before Warner Bros. switch to high definition in 2001. We still can't even get the final season of Batman: The Brave and the Bold or other DC animation produced in HD (i.e. Legion of Super Heroes) released on Blu-ray.

10. A Brisk Autumn Day

Hey, if it's that or nothing, I'm fine with it at this point. I'd prefer a traditional release, but I'll take what I can get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dallas Kinard

Agreed, I'll take what I can get at this point. I'm fine with DVD quality as long as it's not like VHS quality haha.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Actually Warner Archive releases are not simple DVD-R and Blu-Rs. They are actually manufactured and pressed liked any other DVD or Blu-ray. They are just done on demand as opposed to mass productions done for regular releases. Their releases are just as top-notch and professional as any other quality label.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kirben

Kirben Member

The DVD-R used by the majority of releases from Warner Archive aren't pressed, and are even worse than regular DVD-R, due to compatibility issues (adding copy protection to DVD-R is non-standard). DVD-R will not last in the long term, are not reliable (glitches, rather than complete failure), and are much more sensitive to the environment they are stored in (i.e. temperature changes).

Only select titles from Warner Archive are initially released on pressed DVD discs, which have only been for select Hanna-Barbera cartoon series, other than one other cartoon series (The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show) so far.

Warner Archive have not used BD-R at all so far, all their Blu-ray releases are pressed Blu-ray discs.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

Just to add to Kirben's comments on Warner Archive's DVD releases, from around June 2011, WAC started releasing select multi-disc releases with an initial batch of pressed discs. By October 2011 they had started doing more multi-disc releases like this, including several animation titles. The initial batches of pressed DVDs could only be obtained through the WAC website, and not Amazon, etc.

By late 2015 WAC seem to have abandoned, or at least severely curtailed, this practice, as a few animation multi-disc DVD released after that date that I've purchased have strictly been burnt DVDs only.

Again like Kirben says, the WAC Blu-rays have always been pressed as far as I know, which makes it doubly frustrating that they abandoned BATB on Blu-ray back in 2014. Since they were releasing the BATB episodes on the Blu-rays in correct production order, it means I still can't get rid of my season 2 part 2 DVD release of the series, since "The Mask of Matches Malone" was swapped out with season 3's "Battle of the Superheroes".

The last WAC DC animation release was JLU back in 2015, and even Teen Titans Go! only managed one Blu-ray release by them the same year. With no DC animation released by WAC for well over a year, I'm pessimistic of seeing the remainder of BATB and TTG! on Blu-ray, to say nothing of HD widescreen releases of Legion of Superheroes, The Batman, and the original Teen Titans.

Hopefully at least Static Shock and the second season (plus the remaining episode from the first season) of The Zeta Project will at least get DVD-R releases at some point.

15. Kirben

Kirben Member

Warner Archive is still continuing to initially release select Hanna-Barbera cartoon series on pressed discs, but I find their choices strange.

The releases from last few years confirmed as pressed discs, when first released are:
    Adventures of Huck Finn
    Atom Ant
    Clue Club
    New Adventures of Gilligan
    Peter Potamus
    Super Globetrotters, The

16. A Brisk Autumn Day

I'm pretty sure that the "missing episode" is a myth. I have the season, and everything matches the episode list I found online.

Also, I just saw WAC responding to someone else about Static Shock/Zeta, and they said, "Nothing to announce at the moment. Thanks."
    So either what they said before no longer applies, or they're trying to keep things secret for a bit longer. What does everyone think? I got a pretty positive response before, but now I see this. xD Why must they play with my emotions?

• Funny Funny x 1
    #196 A Brisk Autumn Day, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  17. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

There's no missing episode from the series, but Zeta was originally produced as two 13-episode seasons.

When originally broadcast by Kids' WB, they aired the final episode produced for the first season, "Absolute Zero", as the season premiere for the second, despite the episode obviously being written as a season finale and despite the first and second seasons of the series having noticeably different animation styles.

It really should have been included on the season 1 DVD release as the final episode, as originally intended, especially since there was never a second season DVD release.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Archive has confirmed it will release the third season of Batman: The Brave and The Bold on Blu-ray in March. Initial details are up at The World's Finest with more to follow shortly.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's so awesome.

Links here and here.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Excellent news. Hard to believe it's been over five years since this show ended, but it'll be nice to have the complete series on Blu-Ray.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1