1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Cinematic Universe: Ruined before it even starts?

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by brickrrb2, Jan 4, 2014.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Too many Chicken Littles roaming around bemoaning a failure that might not actually exist.

2. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Even if it's not really about the DC superheroes, I'm still looking more forward to The Lego Movie.

3. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

It's gonna take a lot than Legos to save superman. (which some thing I still can't stand the fact is taking over)

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

No offense, but I really think you need to chill with all of this doomsaying. We haven't even seen a trailer or an iota of footage for this movie yet; it's far, far too early to be declaring this thing ruined. All off this brouhaha is based on nothing but a few casting rumors and some pre-film fan boy wanking; that's not nearly enough to judge the movie by. Superman doesn't need to be "saved" because the character's not in any danger, he's just as popular now as before. The people who loved Supes before still love him now, and the people who hated Supes before still hate him now; last year's movie didn't change that.

Man of Steel
    rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but it still made a lot of money at the box office, and in the end, that's what matters. Hardcore comic fans can and will gripe and moan all they want, haters gonna hate, but Hollywood isn't going to kowtow exclusively to them since they're only a tiny fraction of the movie going public. These movies can't just appeal to comic book fan boys, they also have to appeal to a mass audience, Joe and Jane Average Moviegoers who've never picked up a comic in their lives, but still know who Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are and will go to a theater to pay to see them in a movie. Pandering just to the fan boys didn't make Pacific Rim a surefire blockbuster, after all.

Also, I'm failing to see how a Lego movie equates to Lego "taking over"; taking over what, exactly? The reason you're seeing more Lego projects right now is because kids are watching the shows and videos and buying the toys. Keep in mind the Lego stuff is made for kids, not for us grown-ups. What you call "taking over" I call "proving successful with its' target audience". Why is it a bad thing that Lego is willing to give its' consumers more of what they want to see?

#24 Silverstar, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  5. Convoy Rat

Convoy Rat Member

DC is pretty desperate right now. Adding Batman (and possibly more Justice League members) into this supposed MoS sequel is obviously an attempt to cash in on Marvel's success with Avengers. There's no easier way to put it. I think many are starting to think that the "C" in DC stands for "copycat".

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

So you're basically suggesting that because The Avengers movie exists that DC shouldn't even try to make a Justice League movie lest they look like copycats? That's like saying that no other company should try to mass produce an automobile because they'll just be copying Ford..

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that many of these casting rumors are just that: rumors. We really should wait until we see, hear or read something official, or at least see a trailer for the movie first instead of declaring it a failure before it's even out of the can.

7. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Appeal isn't the issue, they already have the appeal. I mean Man of Steel made 200 million in two weeks off appeal alone. The problem is they need critical acclaim to go along with the appeal. Yeah average Joe will go watch a movie that has Superman and Batman in it but will he go back and watch it again? Will he tell Average Jane to go watch it because if there is no repeat business then your going to have another Man of Steel, a movie that looked like it was going to make close to a billion and ended up barely outgrossing Thor 2. People can smell the desperateness from DC right now, its probably why we get these kind of threads. Do I think the DC universe has been ruined before anything has even happened? No. The only thing I can predict is that were just going to get continued mediocrity from WB concerning their cinematic franchises.

8. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

what people seem to forget the marvel cinemactic universe didn't happen over night
    marvel was bankrupt at the time making an avengers movie while still making iron man Thor and cap their own franchises seemed like a pipe dream heck their film rights was sold to rival studios
    it was only because of the success of the blade x-men and spider man movies they decide to take the risk get as many film rights back as possible and put together a movie version of a comic universe and hope iron man and Thor could carry their movies
    thank it work it could of all blown up in their faces

9. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That's too simplistic. It did make a lot of money, but even thought it was marketed heavily it performed below expectations and fell off rapidly at the box office, indicating a movie that didn't garner the audience enthusiasm that a Marvel movie does. Also, it does a crappy job of setting up a Justice League franchise. It leaves us with a depressing, broken Superman and a planet that, for lots of very rational, well-supported reasons, now hates and fears all superhumans. That's the X-Men's tone, not the Justice League's.

10. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Well said. It was fine enough as a stand alone, preferably for a character not as iconic as Superman. One issue I hadn't really thought of is that by making the main villain a fellow Kryptonian, they didn't really give Superman the opportunity to distinguish himself much from the villain. The end showed that the line between a Kryptonian villain and hero are blurred. I'm not sure that's what they were going for.

11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Actually some of your information is off. MARVEL was on the rise again with MARVEL Studios and they never really planned on an Avengers film until Iron Man was done already. They
    really only planned on Iron Man, Dr. Strange and Ant Man films. Feige then saw it possible to
    produce a n Avengers universe through multi studios. Luckily no one really wanted to
    develop stuff like Thor, so Paramount snatched up the rights and the plan for Avengers Assembled ;) .

12. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What I think is really needed is a different director and less focus realistic.

13. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'm going to give the DCCU movies a chance, but I have a lot of anxiety (or at least as much as you reasonably should have for a movie) about them. If you've pronounced the DCCU dead, that's kind of silly, but if you pay attention to the news it's natural to have a reaction to it, and unfortunately my reaction is optimistic.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree with you on all counts.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

:^: This. This is more or less what I was trying to say earlier, but clearly didn't do a very good job of it.:sweat: