1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Cinematic Universe: Ruined before it even starts?

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by brickrrb2, Jan 4, 2014.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

With this new Batman Superman movie coming out, With Rumor after Rumor and people or Hardcore fans Not liking what they hear, It feels like this is a failed project before it even hits the screen.

I'm trying to be optimistic But with too many disappointments already, (Green Lantern Affleck as Batman) What can we do?

2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

The casting is so far behind Marvel.

They're rushing through the first step.

They had no plan to build a DCCU out of Nolan's fantastic work.

They made a half-hearted attempt to start something with a bad Green Lantern movie. Like obviously bad. Why "start" something in the cosmos with a relatively unknown corps of heroes, only one of which is human.

They didn't get this going in Man of Steel which despite its flaws had huge buzz and did well at the box office.

They've painted themselves into a corner in which their only strategy is to catch up to Marvel quickly instead of taking the time to improve upon what they've done or do something completely different.

If Batman-Superman is going to do any more than tease other heroes, they have a whole lot to do to get to that point. What super-villain or group of super-villains will require all of them to work together? They already used Zod and his Krypotians who would have been a solid choice. He and Superman destroyed a major city and nobody else came to help. How do they explain that? They weren't active yet? Ok, then that's a lot of origin stories.

3. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

I really don't think WB is going for a full-blown DC cinematic universe, at least nowhere near the scale Marvel has gone for. I don't think that was really ever the plan because they're not willing to take the risk. I really think they're just interested in doing a Superman trilogy that culminates in the Justice League, and then maybe spinning a Batman series off of it.

DC has always seemed more risk-averse with their films than Marvel anyway.

That really wouldn't have worked anyway. That's not a universe that you can put Superman, Green Lantern, etc. in.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to the Superman/Batman film. I know that no one wants another reboot, but I really think that dark and gritty was the wrong approach to take for Superman. Supey's universe should be bright and optimistic. We don't need a dark take on Superman; dark is Batman's department.

Also, I really think that people are over reacting over Ben Affleck playing Batman. Yeah, Affleck did Daredevil, but why does everyone think that Affleck will be poison for the role just because he did 1 bad movie 11 years ago? Daredevil aside, Ben Affleck is a decent actor who seems to know a fair amount about the comics. No one thought that Michael Keaton would make a decent Batman. Keaton is primarily thought of a comedic actor (Mr. Mom, Beetlejuice, anyone?), but he did OK in the role, so you're telling me that Ben Affleck can't put on a cowl and and black armor and make it believable?

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I don't think Warner Bros. is really interested in creating their own cinematic universe (they couldn't build one from the Nolan films anyway, since those films didn't accommodate 'man-of-tomorrow' aliens, mythical Amazons or space cops); they really just want this Justice League movie to happen ASAP and be their equivalent to Marvel's The Avengers. They're basically trying to make up for the past cinematic mistakes in one fell swoop. WB can't afford to take time to develop a universe with a ton of solo films the way Marvel did because they want this movie to be released within the next 2 years; they need to strike while the iron is hot, if they meander around too long, the superhero movie hype will have died down and no one will care by the time the JL movie is ready. The time for Warner/DC to have started building up a cinematic universe with a bunch of solo movies would have been around 2005 or 2006, when Batman Begins and Superman Returns came out, respectively, but now they can't afford to wait.

#5 Silverstar, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  6. Goldstar Neo

If nothing else, if the Justice League film does well, the studio could always release a bunch of Justice League Origins prequel movies.

7. Ankoma37

Ankoma37 Member

How about we actually wait for the Man of Steel sequel to be released in theaters or at the very least wait for a trailer before blindly declaring the DC Universe "ruined" based solely on a few casting rumors.

8. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

X-Men tried doing that and only two movies came out of it.

People say TDKT couldn't have had crossovers with say Superman, but what if DC/WB told Nolan they were planning a shared universe before he started filming Batman Begins?

9. Goldstar Neo

The Simpsons did it! Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

That's largely because 20th Century Fox was only interested in marketing Wolverine. I'll admit that the X-Men: Origin movies weren't that great, but just because they weren't terrific that doesn't that a DC origins movie for Wonder Woman or the Flash would automatically be bad or mediocre. Just because X-Men already did it, doesn't mean that no one else should try.

:^: This :^:

10. Silverstar

That goes back to what I said in post #5, when I said:

If WB/DC had told the directors coming into these films that the plan was to build a shared cinematic universe, then of course it could have worked, but that clearly wasn't the case, as evident by how the films turned out.

11. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What they should have done was make Superman secret origin into a movie. And While I know if it would have seemed a remake of Tim Burton's first Batman movie, Make one where Bruce is ALREADY Batman. And I stand by my belief that Jaimie alexander would have been a superior choice for Wonder Woman.

12. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Hardcore fans aren't the bulk of the audience. Besides the Wonder Woman casting news I doubt most of the audience is paying all that close attention to the movie. As mediocre as it was and as controversial as it was with the fans, Mos still pulled in a decent haul. Most people just don't really care.

13. Silverstar

Lots of people would've liked to have seen Jamie Alexander as Wonder Woman, but it's a moot point, since she's under contract with Marvel. Fan demand doesn't magically undo legal contracts, if they did Spider-Man and Wolverine would be in the Avengers right now.

Perhaps we should wait until we see some actual footage of Gal Gabot as Wonder Woman before declaring her inferior to an actress who wasn't even in line for the role.

#13 Silverstar, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  14. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I also can't think of any superhero casting choice in like...ever that wasn't met with derision and complaints from the fans, so "A lot of people were hoping for Jaimie Alexander" is kind of irrelevant. With the possible exception of RDJ as Tony Stark, the internet almost NEVER likes the actors who actually get cast in these parts.

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Who was really enthusiastic about Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern though?

16. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

If the possible cinematic DCU is ruined, it's because of the people who will be making the movies. Since the same people who made Man Of Steel are returning for the Superman VS Batman or Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman or Justice League Begins or whatever it will actually be called movie, I have low expectations because of what I've already seen in Man Of Steel. Based on what I've seen in the Arrow tv show since it's debut, the television DCU looks more promising than it does on film.

It would have been nice if the shared universe was thought through or established earlier with the releases of Batman Begins and Superman Returns. But everyone on this planet for years constantly insisted and reminded us that Christopher Nolan's Batman was too SERIOUS and REALISTIC that the other super powered heroes can't/don't exist, and Superman Returns didn't meet it's expectations. So, I'm pretty sure those are the obvious reasons why a shared universe wasn't attempted with those films.

17. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

The question is What is it EXACTLY that we want?

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It was already ruined. Superman is the heart of the DCU. Man of Steel made that heart dark and fearful and troubled, without hope, without innocence, without any sense of wonder.

#18 Shawn Hopkins, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  19. Silverstar

Depends on who you ask. Myself, I just want some decent DC superhero movies which don't have the word 'Bat' in the titles. A bright, colorful kick-ass Superman movie set in a beautiful, near-futuristic Metropolis which isn't just another retelling of his origin story and an awesome Wonder Woman flick which ties in heavily with Greek mythological origins would be nice. And a Justice League movie that's as good as The Avengers without just coming off like a copycat or a cheap, rushed cash-grab. I'd be OK with a shared cinematic universe, but it's not vital to me; I don't have to have an interconnected continuity as long as the movies are good.

20. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

No, it's not ruined. We have absolutely no clue what they're doing and no idea how well that'll play out. We hear rumors that might amount to nothing other than a cameo or two. We know of casting choices that we don't have a clue if they are good for the roles because the film's not out yet. The only thing we can say is whether or not we think MoS was a good starting point for the DCU because that's the only real tangible thing here.

As for if they should started this in 2006, really? Superman Returns would've been a worse place to begin with than MoS, at least MoS had the intent to be a new beginning rather than a retred of the Chris Reeves movies. Nolan's style would've clashed with any other character. And let's not forget that in 2006 superhero movies weren't as big as they are now, and interconnected films were a pipe dream.