1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of the Internet: A Showcase

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

That was horrendous, that site. It even had a pop-up for something, but Google Chrome on my grandma's laptop blocked it. At least there wasn't any ads, probably because it would've cluttered the clutter. Didn't even go past the homepage, besides the ''NEW LOCATION'' link.

Might be newer than 2001 though. The magazines in the pictures don't look that old. But, it's a good late 90s-early 00s site imitation (I hope) at least.

Does anyone still visit the Best of the Web site? (post #19)

#21 Kung-Fu Yoshi, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  2. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

[MENTION=58550]Kung-Fu Yoshi[/MENTION]: The website doesn't appear as blocked on my computer. It looks a bit like another website that used to exist, Havenworks.

3. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I meant to say the browser blocked the pop-up on Yvette's site, not the site itself.

I looked at Havenworks.com through the Web Archive. It was a 2010 version, but it was even more cluttered than Yvette's, and more outdated. It was also more cluttered than the February 2001 version.

4. RandomMe

I didn't see any pop-ups on Yvette's site on my computer.

5. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Oh yeah. I visited the site again. There were no pop-ups, but Google Chrome said something about a plug-in being blocked. I don't know why there were plug-ins in the site. Sorry for misleading you, [MENTION=51596]RandomMe[/MENTION].

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

What the—! That's all I can say, that was hideous. "Psychological Thriller creaking Gate !!" is what makes me suspicious. The random terrible pictures interrupted by what appears to be a 90s fax machine are setting off some alarms.

Uh no, not that I'm aware of.

7. JoeMabbon

The No No Site by Pikachu Rameriaz (represented by a photo of a guitarist with a superimposed Pikachu head) has a bunch tips for becoming a teen delinquent including:

-Growing Marijuana
    -Shoplifting
    -Crafting bongs out of soda bottles
    -Running away from home

If you get caught don't come back to him, the site is for "entertainment reasons only." "How to Steal" is my favorite due to its abundance of typos. The whole site is riddled with spelling errors and laughable advice. The page on how to grow weed is an exception, likely because the author just stole the info from somewhere else. There are links to his other pages, but they're all down.

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/nono/

8. JoeMabbon

Here's a hardcore, anti-McDonalds protest site. McSpotlight is a pretty informative resource. News articles, talking points, and interviews all gathered in one place. Actually, compared to most of the stuff we find, this one is really good. Only things going against it are the shrill, radical tone and the lack of more recent material. The site was already slowing to a trickle before it just dropped dead at the end of 2003.

M c S P O T L I G H T

9. JoeMabbon

http://www.charlesmartinet.com/

Charles Martinet's website hasn't been updated since the Nintendo 64 era. You can get a feel for what voice acting was like in the late 90s to early 00s, listen to voice samples, watch sample videos, and check out vintage Mario Kart 64 jpegs complete with artifacting.

10. JoeMabbon

This was spotlighted by Something Awful a couple of days ago, but the Amazing Flygun website is still up and unchanged since '03. The product sells itself as the new fly swatter for our enlightened internet age. It claims to turn pest removal into a fun pastime. Its basically a spring loaded plastic gun that shoots a mini-swatter at winged insects.

There's a FAQ explaining the product and a VERY long page of fly trivia that seems to be there to remind potential customers that flies are super gross and must be disposed of in the most convoluted, labor intensive way possible. They say its the perfect gift for the men in your life and Summer's right around the corner so...check it out?

Kill Flies with The Amazing Flygun

11. RandomMe

12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

13. RandomMe

14. RandomMe

The official website of The Legend of Calamity Jane, last updated 1998. In English and French, as it was a USA-France co-production. As seen on the latest Rebeltaxi video on lost cartoons.