1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of the Internet: A Showcase

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

Thought it'd be fun to start this up.

Basically, this is like the YT thread, or the magazine threads, except --

we can like, post links to ancient websites, newsgroup posts, and other early web pieces. Basically anything between the beginning of the World Wide Web -- and the end of 2001. It's internet nostalgia at it's finest really, except I don't know how ''finest'' it will be.

Anything -- no matter how stupid, obscure, interesting or dated -- can be posted here. Just don't cross the line.

What do you think?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I can't read the Japanese though. It's a bunch of gibberish on the desktop in my living room and on my grandma's laptop. I'm missing something. Though I can see the Japanese on the main Nintendo site.

Bizarrely, they left up the other N64 pages. I saw pages for Pilotwings, Wave Race, and Mario Kart still in existence.

4. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I can't read it either, over here it's still gibberish.

5. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I'm thinking Nintendo either used an older Japanese font for the N64 sites, or a different type of Japanese symbols.

At keast the site's still up.

6. Asuyuka

Asuyuka New Member

One everyone knows, but here it is anyways :)

Space Jam

And one I used to spend a lot of time on when I was like 7 and 8, way back in 94/95 :)

Billy Bear's Playground - The Site that Makes Computers Fun for Kids

And to shame me, my old website from 1997. It's about as kitschy, full of GIFs and bad 90's webdesign as it gets :)

P.P.S. background image of small, tiled clouds has long since gone. Helps the aesthetic! :)

Pup City Kennels

I will give points to anyone who can find a live VRML site on the current web! :)

7. RandomMe

A handful of Asian sites were like that, mostly because some Asian fonts were not properly installed.
    This page has the Japanese text working properly.

8. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Here's a really bad one from 1998:
    HACKERS MOVIE DOMAIN

There isn't much of anything on there, other than pictures and multimedia. And notice how you go through two splash pages before accessing the content.

Gotta love the GIFs, I don't think there's a single JPEG in the entire site.

9. RandomMe

The website of the Japan News Network - a Japanese network which comprises of 28 stations nationwide, led by TBS. The current design has been around for thirteen years now and has been barely updated in twelve years.

#9 RandomMe, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

LOL, this is great.

11. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I viewed that a few days ago. The site's basically a hub for the stations' pages. No list of news bulletins or nothing. Not a typical news website.

12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Bob Dole's campaign website from the '96 election has been archived. People discovered it back during the 2012 election. Most of the external links are dead, but it still has the same look as it did almost twenty years ago. Check it out here, Dole Kemp 96 Web Site.

13. Kung-Fu Yoshi

There's also a link there to the Clinton/Gore '96 site. For some reason the videos on that site are .cgi files. The ones for the other site don't show up. You just get some pictures and what I'm guessing are the speeches from the commercials.
    --------------------------------

Here's another link, to a Seinfeld fan-fic script dating from 1996 (it was posted on alt.tv.seinfeld too.)

http://www.lionking.org/~sichi/document/humor/SEINFELD.TXT

Lots of outdated references there. Videotapes, newsgroups, the description of how Kramer's ''site'' would be set up, the Laserdisc part...

Just switch out the ''Lion King'' references with ''Frozen'', update it slightly with the times, and you've got yourself a recipe for a TV revival.

14. Kung-Fu Yoshi

15. JoeMabbon

The official website for Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium is still up, even though the actual stadium was imploded over a decade ago. They knew the end was nigh, though. There are quite a few references to the stadium's final year and contact information was shut off. Wonder if the website will outlast longer the sporting arena...

Three Rivers Stadium

Changing gears, Amanda Please!, the faux-fansite for The Amanda Show, is also still around. Its a weird throwback to fan websites from back in the day. Guess Penelope Taynt never did meet her idol. I forgot that Drake Bell got his start on that show of all places.

You might want to turn your sound down first, thought. The show's theme is pretty loud...

Amanda Please!

16. JoeMabbon

Here's the official You've Got Mail website, preserved in its original late 90s form. The message boards and some of the other features are closed, but you can still see the original character bios and download the screensaver. Another highlight is the ASCII art gallery, populated by user submissions. See Pinky and the Brain rendered in glorious lines and squiggles.

http://youvegotmail.warnerbros.com/

17. JoeMabbon

Here's two ancient Robert De Niro fan pages.

The first may not fit within the cutoff date, but the aged tribute to 9/11 with a waving flag gif makes it feel like it belongs here. The most recent information lists some 2007 De Niro films as upcoming projects. Other than that, there's a photo gallery, a biography taken from a 1999 movie guide, and links to buy De Niro DVDs on Amazon.

Welcome to unofficial site for Robert De Niro

The second starts with a homepage celebrating a '99 redesign. The site hasn't been updated since then and most of the site is either down or coming soon. There's news, a biography, filmography, and links that are all dated. Also there's wav files you can listen to and a De Niro trivia quiz.

ROBERT DE NIRO

18. Kung-Fu Yoshi

''It's coming soon... I promise''

That proves it right there -- promises cannot be kept, ever.

19. JoeMabbon

CNN has the "trial of the century" archived for historical purposes. Most of the links are down, but a lot of the articles are still there. You can see reactions to the verdict complete with audio files. There are also timelines, biographies, and archived comments (complete with typos). There were even links to an astrological analysis of the trial (no longer available, sadly). Jesus, people were really into this case. Honestly, I forgot that the man played football. He'll always be the guy who was on trial as far as I'm concerned. Also, I forgot what CNN (Cable News Network) stood for until I glanced at the copyright information at the bottom of one of the pages.

CNN - O.J. Simpson Trial

Welcome to Netscape is an introduction to internet, circa 93/94. The dinosaur/dragon hybrid will teach you about hyperlinks, directories, and newsgroups. The What's New page had a list of new websites that they found every month. Again, most of the links are down but its still fun to just comb through for little nuggets like an online tic tac toe and my final submission...

Welcome to Netscape!

Best of the Web Awards (1994-1998) is kinda plain jane. Just links to the winners and runner-ups. I did notice that The Onion lost out to Bartender's Joke of the Day in 1998 by a considerable margin (50 percentage points). As far as I can tell, Bartenders Joke of the Day is just what it says on the tin, plus drink recipes and poker tips. Does anyone know what was going on at The Onion back in '98?

The Best of the Web

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

This was apparently a real website for a wedding dress shop. Someone archived it and made it, uh, fart when you scroll the page (so you might want to mute it).

Yvette's [site archive from 08 APR 2010]