1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Darwyn Cooke In Pallative Care For Cancer, Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Spideyzilla, May 13, 2016.

1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

2016 really has been the year of bad news in regards to great and influential people battling cancer...it's really awful :crying:.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Cooke and his family. He's a terrific artist and writer who's done some amazing work in comics, and I can only hope for the best as he battles this terrible Cancer :(.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's sad to hear. Best wishes he can fight it and make a full recovery!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Devastated at this news. Such a tremendous artist and a significant part of my childhood with the Bruce Timm cartoons and my comic reading teenage years with The New Frontier and Batman: Ego, etc.

I would mirror this in the DC Animation Forum as well, Yojimbo. His contributions to the DCAU were significant.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Damn, this year is turning out to be garbage with cancer and deaths.

Hope he can fight it. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Darwyn Cooke has passed away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Terrible news. Both his art style and writing style were amazing and pretty unique. I have enjoyed just about every project he was involved with over the years and he's definitely going to be missed.

R.I.P. Darwyn Cooke. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

I enjoyed Bruce Timm's recent interview from Paris(?) where he playfully expressed jealousy at Cooke's capacity and enthusiasm for drawing EVERYTHING in his work. Cooke created rich, complete worlds that were a joy to fall into. Even if the story was dark, you couldn't help but smile in amazement at the beauty of his pages, his evident influences and love of the history of the form, and how he spun it all into something fresh, unique, entirely his own. He left a wonderful volume of work, but I'm selfish and want more. So I will truly miss Darwyn Cooke. But thanks so much for all you gave us. I'm going to fall into his great DC Solo book now for some comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is another tough one, Darwyn was an artist that inspired me in drawing and animation and to know that he's gone is just awful. So much beautiful work that he gave us in the better part of the last 20 years and I wish more modern comics writers and artists had his mindset of the medium. It seems so sudden that he died as it was just announced yesterday that he was in pallative care but I guess he had been sick for some time. We never did get that Modern Masters volume years ago. I'm gonna have to hunt down more of his stuff but I will definitely be giving New Frontier another read, I usually go through it but I'll have a different reason this time.

To paraphrase one of his lines, And tonight, for one last time, he was our champion :(

FNF-WildcatClay4.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Hours ago I hoped he fight a good fight and hours later he's gone.....

Rest in peace, Mr. Cooke. You've earned your legacy and won our fanboy hearts.

Also, no more cancer related deaths. Please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I was shocked to read the news of Darwyn Cooke's health on Friday, and even more saddened to learn of his passing on Saturday. He has been one of my favorite artists ever since I jumped back into comics in the early 2000's and grabbed his issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web because I thought it looked cool. He was one-of-a-kind, and his sensibilities about comics and the icons matched mine more-or-less exactly, and his work was always something I looked forward to.

R.I.P. Darwyn Cooke. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I only just found out as I checked a favorite comic podcast of mine. This is a real shame, especially at the age that he was. The New Frontier was what made me a big fan, and got me to check out so much of the cool work he did before it retroactively, and I loved his style of storytelling and art so much. It just meshed with me and my own sensibilities so well. His animation background also made him that much cooler to me. It sucks seeing such a distinct artist gone so soon.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

From my visit to the 2015 Baltimore Comic Con:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad I got the chance to meet him. Ever since I saw the animated New Frontier movie when it came out, I thought it was one of the best ones they did, and of course I told Mr Cooke how I enjoyed the film and asked what he thought about it. I forget exactly what he said, but it was positive. I also asked if he saw a lot of those DC variants and he said yes. He also joked (I assume he was joking, ha) that he'll think twice about doing that many variants again since fans apparently brought ALL of them to get signed on various occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

There will be a tribute panel at SDCC, July 23 8-9 pm in Room 25 ABC. Jimmy Palmiotti will moderate and panelists include Mike Allred, Scott Dunbier, Cully Hamner, Frank Tieri, and Bruce Timm.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man that would something to be there on that day. Would actually make going to ComicCon worth it

• Agree Agree x 1