1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Darkwing Duck (General Comic)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Knightmare, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Really? I actually liked that last page. Maybe it's because it's the first time we've seen Gos and Honker and DW in the HQ in the whole series (they might have been there in the Annual, though).

Pretty as it looks, I'm keeping my distance.

2. DisneyBoy

Is no one still reading this comic, LOL? So, it turns out bubble headed woman is really just the newscaster. Glad they didn't make her Morgana, but...didn't really care much that it was the newscaster. Flipped through the issue quickly the other day...

Going to be interesting to see how on earth Brill handles two casts at once for the last couple of issues.

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Yeah, I've been reading the last arc too, sorry for not posting, but I didn't have much to say, really. Also, I fear I post on these forums too much.

This arc... wasn't too bad, actually. I'd kinda rank it second best after Duck Knight Returns. It was funny, each issue was sorta self-contained, actual slapstick, good action, Darkwing not being (too) whiny, etc. Heck, the Launchpad opposition thing I'd been ranting about wasn't badly executed in the end.

One thing that did surprise me was... Phantom Blot has a human form? I'd seen the Bob character before in past comics, but didn't notice the connection. Just thought Blot was a normal guy in a cloak in the comics, and a living inkblot in the cartoons. And then there's the Epic Mickey beast version... huh. So, he's actually a man with ink powers. You learn something new every day.

Anyway, high hype and hopes for the big crossover. It's a dream come true, and if it turns out too be a half-decent story in the end, then I'll live on satisfied if Marvel doesn't continue the series in the future.

4. SetTheControls

Yes! His "true identity" was revealed at the end of the 1939 storyline by Floyd Gottfredson in the Mickey Mouse newspaper comic strip that inroduced the Blot. (When that story was reprinted in a comic book, it was titled "Mickey Mouse Outwits the Phantom Blot". In the story itself, though, he was only ever called the Blot. There's a fun bit of trivia for you!) The way that Silvani drew him without the hood is pretty faithful to the way the unmasked Blot looked at the end of the original story.

In Gottfredson's story, the Blot was a foreign spy/agent of espionage/saboteur who was talented at skulking about in a black cloak and hood and subjecting Mickey to Rube Goldberg-like death traps. He's since been portrayed in much more cartoonish ways, sometimes as something reminiscent of mad scientist, and more recently, almost as a super-villain.

And this super-ink he has in the comic... It wasn't always that way in Gottfredson's story! There, he just left threatening notes penned in blot ink, and next to his signature, always left (ahem) a blot of ink. It was regular, plain ol' ink...no special, extremly powerful properties. And he definitely wasn't made of the stuff himself! ;)

5. Paddywhack

Paddywhack Member

The mayor arc wasn't bad. It wasn't enough to get me to buy the book again, but I think it was paced much better than the "Crisis" and "F.O.W.L." arcs, and most importantly, it had much less extraneous dialogue. Whether that was Mr. Brill cutting back, or editorial taking a firm hand, it was welcome. The art told more of the story this in this arc, and it was a welcome change, as I think the bad dialogue and overwriting of every scene is a lot of what hurt the last two stories. Less is more, expecially when it comes to this book...Mr. Silvani's art tells the story beautifully, and doesn't need to be explained with Mr. Brill's clumsy exposition.

The best part about this arc: Mr. Brill resisted the urge to have Suff-rage (woof) turn into a giant version of herself. Every arc has had a giant robot and/or monster in it so far (The giant carrot/rabbit in "Duck Knight", as well as giant robot Bulba and the very Quackwerks building becoming a weapon; NegaPaddywhack in "Crisis"; the Walrus and Duckthulhu in "F.O.W.L."). I think this may also be the first arc out of four when Darkwing defeats the villain, and doesn't depend on someone else (mostly a vastly overpowered Morgana) to do it for him.

6. Astrolupine

Okay, part 1 of the crossover is out! Granted, this probably should go in the Ducktales comic thread as it starts off in that series, but I'm more of a DW fan.

And so far it's rather 'eh, it's okay'. I find that Massaroli is good in his design, but his characters need work. They just never have the right expression when needed. The nephews and Webby are pretty blank throughout this issue, even in intense moments like Fenton getting sucked under the ink or the Beagle Boys attack. Come to think of it, the last time we saw them in a Darkwing comic, they were deadpan as well. Silvan's worki still looks great, if a bit compressed.

Questions new (Blot's working with a villainess-league?) and old (Fenton's back, but where's he been?) remain unanswered, but hey, it's only part 1. And character interaction, if brief, was decent. Here's hoping the story improves.

EDIT: Wait, Part 2 is out as well? *quick run to other comic shop* You'd think one of these places would have both.

Right, chapter deux. Action ramps up quite a bit here, Scrooge and DW get some good character chemistry, although sometimes Drake is feeling a bit too sorry for himself at times. You'd think after the election arc and being free of the emotion ink, he'd show a little more bravado is this intense situation. Nevertheless I liked it more than Part 1, and there's a surprise appearance and a hilarious dig at the original Darkwing toyline.

Pondering about the ink though...

#506 Astrolupine, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  7. DisneyBoy

Thanks for posting your review of the latest issues. When does the final issue hit stores?

8. Astrolupine

Well, the last two issues are out now. The last new DA material for the time being. The end of a brief era. Okay, let's go!

Ducktales #6: okay, minor quibble here. One cover has Flintheart and other baddies messing in Scrooge's money bin. Flinty isn't in this story at all, and that's my point: the covers for this x-over have been nice, but Boom made it as if the entire Duck universe was involved in the story. It's only just the main heroes and villains, kids. Sorry to all you Tuskerini purists out there.

This here's the 'explanation issue'. Or 'half-bothered explanation'. Both the readers and nephews tirelessly ask : "Where have you been, Gizmoduck?!?" The answer: Magica pulled him into a portal. Yep, that's it. We then get interrupted by her electronic do-list, thus leaving even more of a blank. You'll probably spot more plot holes than I did. That being said, Massaroli's art improved here and Scrooge gives Drake a good 'buck up' talk. Applause. That's all I've wanted from DW under Brill's script: alliteration and being heroic. But mainly alliteration.

Darkwing #18: (spoilered for ranting!)

And so we end with Scrooge and Darkwing shaking hands while their friends watch in a poorly laid-out panel. Not quite the unification I wanted, but in the end, I did get a proper meeting between my two favorite Ducks. I don't think Spector & Brill interacted much on this script. Resolved plotlines are rushed and there were plotholes by the truckload. Just go with the simple 'team up and fight one villain' setup next time, guys. This might satisfy the casual fan, but given the over complication of the slime macguffin and all too-brief appearances of other characters, it's a mess. Not a hateful mess, but a disappointing mess nevertheless.

If you want to know my full summary of BOOM's work on the DA titles, it'd be better just look back at my previous posts on this thread, I've said all I can. But I'll try. Darkwing & Ducktales at first looked like the comics we'd been waiting for, but suffered through poor execution in plot, a botched art job (DT#3) and failed to appeal to those outside the fanbase. CDRR wasn't half bad, but was poorly marketed by Boom. But in the end, we had some great art, a couple of the show's cliffhangers resolved, fan nods and a sense of fun (at times).

In short? It was nice while it lasted.

#508 Astrolupine, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  9. Astrolupine

Wow, the comics based on the two most popular Disney Afternoon shows end with a crossover and not a comment so far? Huh, I guess Boom did drop the ball... far down. Anyway, Silvani shared his thoughts on the book's run.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35388

And yet Volume 3 still remains unannounced.

Well the election arc thankfully got back to the lighthearted tone, but the crossover had Drake go through an annoying emotional relapse for most of the story. Sometimes I wonder if Silvani ever read this thread, it's the only spot I've seen to give full criticism of the book. I've been the one complaining of DW and Launchpad rarely being seen together, mainly in conflict.

Frankly by the end of arc two, I'd already had enough of the 'everything has changed' vibe, so I clearly wasn't ready for 'everything you know is wrong'. I'd've been happy to try a Darkwing, Inc. arc, though.

And here we have Ian's thoughts on the run. I've been probably giving him too much slack when a number of folks enjoyed the book nonetheless, although I really doubt younger readers and newcomers loved it, it mainly seemed targeted for the hardcore fans. It's mainly summaries of the arcs rather than behind the scenes, I cringed a bit when Brill talks about cramming tons of material in an issue to give one their money's worth. Sigh, I've really let my sense of nostalgia shrivel.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35492

10. bat313

bat313 Active Member

I know I’m late to the party here but I just finished the Dangerous Currency arc and I need to speak up.

My take on this series as a whole might be a little different here from others because I’ve only read complete arcs at a time versus waiting an entire month for each new issue. I’ve enjoyed the series since the beginning despite it’s flaws. James Silvani’s art as been nothing short of AMAZING. Characters have acted out of character here and there but nothing that truly bothered me….. that was until the Dangerous Currency arc. I cannot excuse the bad writing that went into this mess. Maybe my hopes were built up too high based upon the cover art but this acr was wrong in so many ways.

1) Why on earth would Darkwing reveal his secret identity to everyone? I can understand letting Scrooge in on it but EVERYONE?
    2) Similarly, only Scrooge and Ma’ma knows Fenton is Gizmoduck. I can buy that Scrooge told Launchpad on the side but the entire cast finds out and there is zero reaction.
    3) Again, Ma’ma Crackshell knows his secret! Why would she reprimand him for not telling her and not using the suite to clean around the house?!
    4) And this becomes the secret weapon to defeat “the slime”? Ugh!
    5) Scrooge is my #1 fav Disney character and I cannot forgive the “bless MY bagpipes” or his out of character moments

As I said, I enjoyed the Crisis arc right up until the running for mayor arc. Every now and then characters would act odd but it still had that Darkwing Duck "feel" to me. I could tell they were trying, and if I didn’t say it enough, Silvani’s art made it all worth while. In fact, Silvani’s art is the only thing that saves the Dangerous Currency arc for me. The man is truly talented. I can only hope that Marvel picks up both DW and Ducktales and uses James as lead artist.

Like others I’ve been waiting 20+ years for my Ducktales/DW crossover. If given the choice of this arc or nothing I’m not sure I wouldn't go with nothing. This arc was that bad. In my eye’s it has tarnished everything that Disney and Tad Stone worked so hard to create. Countless fan fictions would have been better.

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

So what is Joe Books? Did Disney license them the properties because Marvel really has no plans to publish these properties as comics right now?

Either way, I hope this pans out because I love the Darkwing Duck comics.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm really glad that Boom's DW comics will be reprinted. They're a lot of fun.
    I also like how they're going to make other comics based on Disney property like Big Hero 6. They're even going to make a comic strip of sorts starting Disney characters made by the creator of Pocket Princess!

Jeez, what is it with major companies that own comic book publishers licensing the rights to their properties to OTHER comic book publishers?

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't say "jeez," be grateful. Disney themselves has no interest in DD, but they could have just sat on those rights forever, like I feared they would do. Amy's comic strip is also great news.

[​IMG]

Boom was also publishing a continuation of Gargoyles led by Weisman himself. If he's not too busy now, maybe there's hope for that too.

14. TheVileOne

Reporter

Its strange to me as well. But my guess is that Marvel had no plans for continuing Darkwing Duck so that's why Disney allowed this. Better than nothing to me.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, I'm glad that Disney is allowing comics to be made at all, I was just expecting Marvel to publish them. Just as I expected DC to publish comics based on Cartoon Network shows.
    Boom wasn't publishing Gargoyles, Slave Labor Graphics did. I hope they bring that back. And that Weisman is able to actually able to finish the story.

16. bat313

bat313 Active Member

YES!!!!!! Really excited for this! It sounds like James and Aaron worked their butts off to make the previous issues better AND they are scraping Dangerous Currency stuff. All of the out of character Ducktales moments drove me crazy. I can't wait to see how they fixed the ending and am very much looking forward to the continued new series.

17. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

18. TheVileOne

Reporter

Interesting story, but I find it hard to believe the Incredibles story. Also, why would BOOM do something without approval from Disney or that would upset Disney?

19. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy