1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Darkwing Duck (General Comic)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Knightmare, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Paddywhack

Paddywhack Member

James Silvani is a national treasure, no doubt. I hope Marvel picks him up when they launch their line of Disney comics.

Ian Brill, I hope he waits by his phone for a long, LONG time.

2. steet

steet Member

I know I'm the first one who said it was probably going to happen, but for now, there's no evidence that Boom will stop their current Disney Afternoon line.
    And especially, there's even less evidence that Disney/Marvel will pick it up.

I'm only saying : just don't get that for granted...They may all forget about the DA shows for years, again. It's up to us to convinve them there's money to make!

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

There's a short little interview with Brill, Silvani and Dalhouse on AICN, for those that are interested. The color discussions are rather interesting, but no mention of the current Marvel deal, and while Ian notes he's writing CDRR, he didn't bother to mention that the title's cancelled. Yeesh.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49876

4. Fake Robin

Fake Robin Member

That interview may have been conducted some time ago. Andrew plugs the Larfleeze Christmas Special. And other than the back-up in the annual, he hasn't colored Darkwing Duck interiors since #8.

5. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

6. Paddywhack

Paddywhack Member

I read it at the comic book store, but I didn't buy it, even though it's one of the better stories since the first 4-parter. It had it's flaws...it seems to be built around the fact that the villain, a former pro baseball player, can't throw the same thing twice and gets kicked out of the sport...but then in his depression he's shown throwing a baseball against the wall, so that made no sense. I might have misread it, the dialogue is as boring and confusing as ever...but thankfully there was a lot less dialogue than previous issues, which in this series is a blessing. I'll take a little confusion if it means the art isn't covered with balloons packed with Mr. Brill's painful dialogue. Overall, though, I have to give some credit...the issue moved along a lot better than the last two storylines, and I think that has a lot to do with it being a single issue story.

The villain, One-Shot, might as well have been called "One-Note" for all the personality he was given...but his design and powers were a lot of fun, I think he'd be a good character in the hands of a more competent writer, and certainly would be fun in animated form. The way he was dispatched was inspired, and reminded me of the old Warner Brothers cartoons, which ain't a bad thing.

The issue ended with a really inexplicable decision for Darkwing to run for mayor in the next issue, but otherwise was self-contained and while mostly fluff, at least Darkwing wasn't depressed through the entire issue like previous issues. Believe it or not, he even used his trademarked phrases in the book for the first time since like, issue #6.

Still not enough to lure me back to buying, but better.

7. Astrolupine

@#$%, still can't figure out how to post images.

That being said, I really dislike Cover A for #15, with DW and LP battling each other in a mayoral race.
    I've said this before, but Ian is really determined to never have these two as partners again.

Then there was Cover B, the Obama parody with Launchpad's 'CRASH'.

Okay, I chuckled. I guess Scrooge would be 'MONEY' and Nega would be 'CHAOS'. Any suggestions?

I'm not feelin' the preview pages either. The whole tone so far makes me as depressed as Darkwing. Trade wait, then.

8. Paddywhack

Paddywhack Member

James Silvani posted an "Obama" style Darkwing poster on his blog a while back. This new cover looks like a riff on that.

I like the "A" cover because it has hints of minor villains, but yeah, Brill's separation of Launchpad and Darkwing has gotten old and tired. Their rift was resolved in the first story, I don't know why Brill insists on dragging it on ad nauseum. But then, he's proven remarkably inept at writing any of the characters, so maybe he just doesn't know how to write them together, and finds it easier to manufacture conflict between them.

9. Astrolupine

Okay... Silvani just posted some covers on his blog which have suddenly rejuvenated my interest.
    To the highest of limits. Yes, it's that delicious.

silvaniart.blogspot.com/2011/06/finally.html

There will be an honest-to goodness Ducktales/Darkwing crossover starting in DT #5, apparently dealing with some big threat and explaining how Lauchpad will work in two books at the same time.

If that means we're actually going to see Scrooge and Darkwing be in the same panels but actually INTERACTING this time... well, Ian, Warren, prepare to be given my wallet's contents.

10. DisneyBoy

I don't really think there needed to be an explanation for why Launchpad is in both books at the same time. I just think Brill is over-doing the importance of his stint on both these titles, frankly, by making explanations for things as though people really needed them (I'm still annoyed by the whole "Negaduck learns the secret ID!" can of worms that was opened up and never resolved). Can't the Launchpad in the Tales series book be a younger version of the one in the DW book? Wasn't that how it worked on the shows?

I think I share Paddywack's annoyance over how Brill has handled things. The most important narrative aspects of his run on DW have been DW's ego being a bad thing (instead of a fun thing), loss (Morgana, Gos, and LP are figured into this idea) and how detached Drake is from his DW persona (including his sidekick, his former enemies, his HQ, etc).

I may have stopped buying the book, but I still care about the property. This just feels like such a rare, wasted chance, you know? Great covers though...

11. DisneyBoy

Sorry to double-post, but I found the preview for issue 14 and found myself asking (in addition to "Why on earth would DW want to be Mayor?!?") if the cat in Cat-Tankerous was the psychic talking cat from that 90s Disney Adventures short DW tale.

Read the preview and place you bets:

http://www.comixology.com/previews/MAY110944/2/

12. Astrolupine

It doesn't quite look like Fluffy, or quite sound like Fluffy, and why Ian decided to go with an entirely new character is baffling, I don't know. I'll just pretend it is Fluffy.

Didn't bother to read #13, the preview is slightly amusing although you wonder why St. Canard is so positive towards DW all of a sudden, and how Launchpad comes into the mayoral race. Practically praying that the latter does not happen.

Came to an obvious conclusion that the Ducktales crossover will compose of the last two issues for the two series, even if Boom won't admit the end is coming. (Can you even give criticism on their forum?) Still, it's not a bad way of ending the books...

13. DisneyBoy

Do you think the series is ending purely because Marvel was purchased by DC, or has there been something else to suggest it?

14. Astrolupine

Would you not mean... 'Disney licenses being purchased by Marvel'?

Frankly, the subscription cancellations have made me suspicious. I rather doubt Marvel will do much with the DA titles save reprints.

15. DisneyBoy

I guess it's obvious now with the other thread confirming it and all but...you were right! DW's comic will end with issue 18, the final chapter in a cross-over with the Duck Tales book. Which is also ending.

16. Astrolupine

So, I read #14 at the shop (despite not reading the last) and... WOW.

That was actually... pretty darn good. We got a story that was almost stand-alone, Darkwing not being entirely miserable and spouting some one-liners, slapstick violence (the classic 'shattering fist'), a villain with a decent enough backstory (although you could just have had Fluffy instead), and some sort of reason as to why Launchpad gets involved in the race. It's the 'opposition' part that will be the problem for me.

And of course, the question: who is the female Mysterio-lookalike with a bulbous head? Well, I'm not intrigued myself. She's only seen in two panels with no clear motivation yet, and if she is who I think she might be, the result may seem lazy.

And why isn't Darkwing being asked to reveal his identity in order to run for politics? Why is Launchpad considered a great CEO when we haven't seen him do any CEO-ing? And why is Pistol in the same class as Max and PJ at the school? And what other plotholes have I missed?

Wait, wait, can't let the nitpicks get the best of me... just enjoy the book as a standalone tale, just look forward to the crossover... *gasp*

17. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I'm slightly split on this as on one hand I've really enjoyed most of the storyarcs from this series and I'm a huger Darkwing Duck fan, but on the other hand it's cancelation means one less monthly title to worry about and more money to put towards "real life" stuff like bills and such.

I am very happy that we will at least finally get a Darkwing Duck and Ducktales crossover. I too seriously doubt that Marvel will do anything will this or any older Disney property into monthly titles except for reprints; which is a shame because I'm sure that if they put some effort into it Marvel could turn out some great stuff based on Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Kim Possible and the Incredibles.

18. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Chartreuse

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Marvel pick up the Disney comics line, including Darkwing, and maybe DuckTales. Some insider types (especially former Boom! editor Aaron Sparrow) have said that Darkwing's strong sales have gotten a decent amount of notice at Disney. It may be a while before a new book launches--and it may not launch--but I wouldn't be too surprised if Marvel (or maybe even another company) tried their hand at picking up where Boom! left off.

One reason I'm enjoying the current arc (except for the weird "Gotta find Morgana by trying to prove myself!" aspect) more than the last two is that it really feels kinda like an episode from the cartoon, including the weird plot gaps that don't hold up to real world scrutiny. Darkwing Duck having a secret identity was only ever an issue for the St. Canard public when it was relevant to the 21-minute story being told. Wasting space on exposition as to why this can be would be the book indulging itself in its worst habits (the comic series has spent way too many panels telling me about WHY this is happening like this, as if just trying to shush Internet message boards from asking these sorts of questions, and it just bogs the story down).

As for the don't-really-car Lady Mysterio or whatever, I think it's pretty clear that it's some version of Morgana (a trans-universe-morphed Morgana? NegaMorg? someone from a Crisis on Infinite Morganas) In the last issue, she went as far as to refer to D.W. as "Dark." Frankly, that more than anything has me wary of the upcoming issues in this arc.

19. DisneyBoy

Ooooh, I'm not going to like that. Good thing I stopped reading.

20. Astrolupine

To those interested, preview for #15 is up:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/previews/3189/kaboom-darkwing-duck-issue-15

Maybe the recent Ducktales controversy is affecting my brain, but even Silvani's work is starting to look a little off to me. No laughs from me here, tho I did crack a smile at the opening easter egg.

And that 'A' cover makes me so @#$%^&^ mad....