1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Darkwing Duck (General Comic)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Knightmare, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Hey, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it was just recently announced that starting this June Boom Studios will be bringing the "Terror that Flaps in the Night" back in a new 4 issue mini-series.

I'm a huge Darkwing Duck fan and I can't wait to get to read this series. It sounds like the creators that are working on this book have put a lot of time into their research and are going to give us an excellent series, I really hope that this series will do well enough to get an ongoing and maybe allow Boom Studios to go after other Disney Afternoon properties like Rescue Rangers and Gargoyles.

For more information check out this link: http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25219

Mod Edit: Discussions on the older Darkwing Duck stories are allowed on this thread.

#1 Knightmare, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  2. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

This is pretty cool news. I was bitterly disappointed back in 1991/92 when the Disney Afternoon-based comics published by Disney were all cancelled, as many of them still had many stories to tell. Here's hoping that Rescue Rangers and Tale Spin will also be ressurected.

3. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Cover B made me lol big time!

One the one hand I'm beyond excited about this. It will be the first time in years I've actually bought a comic book. On the other hand I'm somewhat concerned about the writer going a little deeper with the subject matter. I'm cautiously optimistic.

4. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Active Member

His beak looks a bit too big on the second cover. He resembles a pelican more than he does a duck.

Just an observation.

5. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Sounds like they know what they're doing, and it's especially good that they're going to be continuing the series from where it left off instead of just adapting old stories from the show.

The big question is, though, how well will it sell? Its adult fanbase who grew up with the show isn't nearly as big as, say, Gargoyles' was, and Darkwing Duck doesn't seem like the type of action-esque series that the kids of this generation would really get into. The people behind it don't seem too worried, but I think it may be a legitimate concern.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Sweet, this looks great. A comic is a perfect fit for DW, too.

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I can't begin to say how excited I am about this.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, this is a dream come true. Bully for Boom!

9. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Well if Disney actually aired the series it would help a lot. I know that at my local comic book shop there are always parents and grandparents looking for comics for their kids and there really isn't much out there any more.

I think for something like Darkwing Duck, you need to make it a real family friendly book, by that I mean something that is engaging and enjoyable for the adults that grew up with the series and may now be parents themselves and at the same time is safe enough for the little kids to read without "warping their fragile minds".

10. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

I've seen some of the Disney related comics from Boom Studios, and they look quite good. I've often wonder if Marvel will eventually purchase Boom Studios, or publish future editions of Boom's Disney based titles.

11. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Funny how they can start a comic series but releasing the rest of the actual show on DVD is out of the question.

Disney needs to pull it's head out of it's butt.

12. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

It may not be that big, but it is probably big enough to support a four-issue miniseries, which is all they're doing with it for now.

What would be cool is if this somehow led to other Disney Afternoon inspired minis. DuckTales might be redundant seeing as they're already publishing Uncle Scrooge, but Talespin and Rescue Rangers might work. Or maybe a Goof Troop comic that could pull together elements of the show and A Goofy Movie.

Comic books, particularly miniseries, are lower cost and lower investment. They already play to a niche audience and in general people are more willing to splurge on things like comic books than on DVDs. For example, I'm pretty cautious about what DVDs I buy. They take up a lot of space and cost a fair chunk of change. Not to mention the fact that I live in my folks house and all the DVDs take up space in their family room. However, the comics are just mine and reside in my room. Plus, they're relatively cheap and easy to store. I haven't bought any of the Darkwing DVDs, but I'm all over this miniseries.

Also, the cost is paid by Boom Studios for the comics. They're the ones licensing the characters.

13. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Also, someone at Home Theater Forum made a rather compelling argument that the reason not many catalog TV shows are released on DVD is perhaps due to the entertainment industry turning towards digital downloads. If so, we can only help that Disney releases its older TV cartoons via iTunes, etc. in the not-too-distant future.

Nah, it's MUCH cheaper for Disney to license their characters to a third party Boom as opposed to publishing it themselves through Marvel.

14. launchpad20

That could explain why Disney has stopped producing more DVD sets, and decided to move towards digital distribution. I guess that way, people won't have to worry about how much money they spend, or mow much space they have in their room for so many DVDs. Instead, you'll have to worry about how big your hard drive is to store your media.
    Really? That's a new one. I guess by comparison, Warner Bros. doesn't have a problem publishing their Looney Tunes, and Cartoon Network properties through DC.

15. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

The Looney Tunes and Cartoon Network thing happened after Warner Bros. already took over DC Comics. The Boom Studios deal happened before the merge of Marvel and Disney.

As I understand it, the purchase of Marvel was really more of a business decision than a creative decision. It gives Disney a cut of the money made from the use of Marvel's intellectual property while giving Marvel more of a financial safety net should something happen. The idea was never "Hey, let's buy Marvel so they can publish Uncle Scrooge." Heck, I remember hearing not long ago that Disney's actually starting its own small comic publishing company called Kingdom Comics to make comics based on their old live action properties.

16. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

This. I understand that doing the comic costs less money, but still... not everyone will be able to get their hands on the comic.:sad: And them not releasing the rest of Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, and Talespin onto DVD as well is a bit disappointing.

17. launchpad20

It's a shame that these shows have fallen into a niche market isolated from the mainstream. Seems like the internet, and game consoles are the only remaining outlets left for them to thrive somehow. :sad:

18. WaggonerCartoons

WaggonerCartoons Bouncing Bunny

Words can not describe how excited I am.

19. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Phenomenal news as Darkwing is too good of a series to let rot in the vault; which Disney has done unfortunately.

Coincidentally, next year will be Darkwing's 20th anniversary so this should be a nice tie-in. Hopefully this will be the start of someting big for all of the classic Disney Afternoon properties.

20. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

I did a wild take after I saw the title...I am excited about this. I wonder if this would be a sign of Disney considering to bring back some good old disney afternoon stuff from our past. I know it probably wont happen but its just a thought.