"Dark TV Vault: Jennifer Slept Here" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, May 15, 2017.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/darkvault/jenniferslepthere.html

EDITOR'S NOTE: This one has been planned for quite a while, and for most of that time, only seven episodes of the show could be found in tape-trading. The last time I checked YouTube (and even Dailymotion, and EVEN iOffer), only the pilot episode was online. Today I searched again to find a link to the theme song, and discovered between then and now somebody had uploaded the missing six episodes. This article is late as it is -- I couldn't tell you if anything in those shows is earth-shattering enough to make a difference in the overall review. If it is, it'll be updated later.

You also may have noticed there hasn't been a new cartoon for several months. I did take some time off, but I am working on some good scripts now and the drought will be coming to an end soon.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I don't have time to read the whole article yet, but for now I'll admit having an on-again, off-again fascination with Bewitched, dating back to when Nick at Nite showed it at or near the beginning of each block. I even bought a complete series DVD boxset, although I've yet to watch every disc in it.

3. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

The only thing I've even seen Gleen Scarpelli on is the 1983 premiere of the short-lived NBC game show The New Battlestars, as seen here:
    If you're wondering why it's the "New Battlestars", the first run of the show was on NBC from 1981-82, with a different announcer (Rod Roddy instead of Charlie Tuna), a slightly different front game, and a totally different endgame (involving a contestant picking cards to insert into a decoder that would reveal portions of a famous face; note that this had zero relevance to the front game).

And if you think it's suspiciously similar to The Hollywood Squares, both shows were produced by Merrill Heater (this was his first show after Bob Quigley retired, in fact).

4. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

You can totally thank me for the promo at the end, and for the 1983 Macy's parade in general, which wouldn't have worked its way to the tape-trading circles if I didn't get a memo out to one of the McDonald's Marching Band members from that year, who had a nearly-complete copy already converted to digital.

And speaking of which, Glenn Scarpelli is also in that parade - at the time he seemed to be trying to kickstart a singing career, and in fact he did sing in that parade. Judging by the New Battlestars thing linked earlier, he must have been on NBC's payroll. And despite having read a lot of Archie comics during my childhood, I don't remember seeing him there at all.

Also NBC's entire lineup of new shows for fall 1983 was weird - Manimal debuted during this time. Besides that, Jennifer, and Mr. Smith, there was also Boone, The Bay City Blues, For Love and Honor, We Got It Made, The Rousters, and The Yellow Rose (go ahead and look up all those shows). And none of those got any farther than their first seasons. These shows are worth an entire article to themselves.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

We Got It Made lasted longer than a season, and they actually made more episodes later on for a syndication package.

6. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Reading Wikipedia's episode guide, another episode that intrigued me apparently has Debbie Reynolds as the ghost of a stage mom, but it feels too soon for me to want to watch it myself.

7. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

This seems odd because I have a recording of a Christmas special saying "Jennifer Slept Here will not be seen tonight." And I think it was from the same year of the Pac-Man Christmas Special, so that means they must have reran it the next year (1983).

#7 Chris, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

what's it called? and has it been entered into the Misfit Christmas Special lineup yet?

9. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I think it's called "Christmas Comes to Pac-Land" and yes, it's in there.

10. pacman000

pacman000 Member

Jennifer Slept Here FX: Walking Through a Mirror.

Get a door. Cut a hole in it. Put a frame around the hole. Put a mirror in the hole.
    Get a backdrop, painted to look like a corner of the room.
    Bolt the door to the floor of the set. (Keeps the door from moving between takes.)
    Lock off the camera so it sees the door and mirror and cannot move between takes.
    Position the backdrop so it reflects off the mirror into the camera.
    Put the actor on set and call "Action!"
    Cut.
    Take the mirror out of the door.
    Move the backdrop behind the door.
    Actress stands behind the door in front of backdrop.
    Say "Action!" Actress walks through hole in the door.
    Combine these with a dissolve.
    Use a split screen, to prevent actor from appearing to jump between cuts.
    Cut to close up of actor. Replace mirror. Cut back to long shot. You can now film as normally.

Simple enough to pull off in the silent era, but hard to get right. Like any effect it's an art. It does look like they used a blue screen; Jennifer had matte lines and lacked a shadow. I'll try to write up how they may have done it with chromakey later.

11. pacman000

pacman000 Member

Jennifer Slept Here

It's a bit harder to figure out how they might've done that scene with chromakey; there's more than 1 way to do it.

Basically, it's the same as I described before, but Jennifer's actions would've been shot on a separate set, probably painted blue. The background of the mirror might've been a painting, or they might've matted it in as well. They would've had to spend some time making sure both images would line up correctly. In my opinion it would've been simpler to do everything in camera. I guess the producers had a new toy they wanted to use at every opportunity ;)