1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Dark TV Vault: Club Mario" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, May 18, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

I'm checking out the ''Unzappables'' episode on Netflix.
    Couple tidbits:
    This version is not the complete Club Mario version. The SMBSS intro, credits and Zelda preview are intact, but only the main Club Mario bits are kept.
    This version of the episode doesn't have the licensed music during the vegetable/Snifit battle.
    The guest in the 2nd bit is Joe Piscopo.
    There's a couple of abrupt edits in the segments for some reason. There's no licensed clips either.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They cut the licensed music out of all the Super Show cartoons a long time ago; they weren't in the Shout DVDs. Anyway I don't think Netflix ever really puts up versions of any show with licensed music unless it's new.

Makes me wonder how butchered their version of Freaks and Geeks is.

4. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

I'm not too bothered with the replacements anyway.

I've also noticed other stuff too. Before I had access to Netflix, I watched some episodes at school, so that's where I noticed some things first.

The live-action segment for ''Robo Koopa'' kept the snippet of the ''Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'' song that played prior to the cartoon, like on the DVD.
    ''Mario of the Deep'' had a Domino's Pizza sponsor bumper inbetween the intro and the start of the live-action segment.
    I watched ''Koopenstein'' today. The live-action segment is on that episode, and the ''Baby Love'' song is still intact in there. As far as I know, those were the only two songs in the live-action segments, and they were both kept.
    Apparently the Viacom logo was kept on the episodes.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

That makes me wonder if the sound in the live-action segments couldn't be edited.

Some Club Mario episodes have Domino's sponsor bumpers.

6. DaffyDonaldQW93

Now that you tackled Club Mario, how about.....King Koopa's Kool Kartoons..........not only did they show Super Show cartoon episodes, but OLD BLACK-AND-WHITE 30's CARTOONS ASWELL.........Talk about false advertising (for the kiddies at least). I faintly remember the Retro Junk article about this and I want your take on that show. I mean, they were treating Bowser as a kiddie show host..........gave away free NES systems to the audience.

I'm only asking you this one time, could you please do "King Koopa's Kool Kartoons"?

And oh, by the way, isn't the fox costume reminscent of the joke towards the end of The Simpsons' "The Heartbroke Kid"?

#6 DaffyDonaldQW93, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Club Mario is all kinds of awful for the reasons you listed. I don't think I caught it when it first aired, since by that time I had moved onto other shows.

"Aside from these tapes, all episodes are lost except one. For some reason the version of the Super Show episode "The Unzappables" that's on iTunes and Amazon is the Club Mario variant instead of the original. No one knows how that happened. Odd."

The version of" The Unzappables" with the original "George Washington Slept Here" skit IS out there, but it's an example of Keep Circulating the Tapes, since it wasn't released on DVD or digital (as you said, DVD didn't have the skit at all, and the iTunes/Netflix version replaced it with the "Club Mario" wraparounds). I'll leave it at that, as per TZ rules.

8. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

One magazine from July 1990 had a brief mention of this show. It includes a picture. i.imgur.com/mKNGeCP.png