Dark City vs. The Matrix

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Starfox, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Starfox

Starfox Think Different...

2. True Noir

True Noir New Member

What in the hell? Wow.... so many comparisons. I really need to check this Dark City out. The thing is there may be a slight difference vetween them. One sucks and one is good but I don't know.

3. Spastic Minnow

Spastic Minnow bringing kawaii back

That is really neat.

and if it were a contest- Dark City wins. After watching The Matrix at the theater I went straight to a video store and bought Dark City. Not that I disliked The Matrix, but I love Dark City.

4. James

James Administrator

Interesting, people compare them for being similar, but I've always seen them as entirely different films. The feel, the story, the flow is pretty dissimilar.

That said, that was an amusing specific comparison there. I'm sure it's co-incidence, I mean a year apart is very little time to emulate a movie.

And yes, Dark City is an infinately better movie - I wish I had remember to add it to my fav movie post in the thread of the same name...

5. John6777

John6777 New Member

People always say the MAtrix is a rip but it's pretty impossible to be so. Both stories were filmed one after the other. There is no way one could have ripped it off. Also since they used the same sets it does seem possible it would look the same. For me though, Dark City was not as good as Matrix. I also see no similarities in feel or story in the two films

John

6. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Its interesting trying to compare the two but they are pretty different to me. The only thing they really share is the whole not the real world vibe Plus I thought Dark City overall wasnt that good anyway with its extreme slow pace and boring characters. Matrix was by far the more interesting movie for me.

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I think they missed the biggest ripoff of all. Dark City and Matrix lifted their concepts wholesale from Megazone 23.

8. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Yes, and the idea is probably even older than that.

9. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

Dark City was a remake of Metropolis.

Besides I always believed Matrix ripped off the idea of old school chinese kung fu movies and Dark City.

10. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal

If you ask me, they're all ripping off Plato. ::nods::

--Romey

11. John6777

John6777 New Member

I doubt it ripped off Dark City when both Scripts were done at the same time. So it's pretty impossible for it to rip off it. It's been going on for long before Metropolis. Dark City took their idea from a Twilight Zone Episode. And that Episode prolly ripped something off too.

John

12. Master Moron

Master Moron New Member

What about "The Thirteenth Floor" and "Existenz"? Both of those had similar concepts to the Matrix. I actually found more in common with the Matrix in those two films than in Dark City.

13. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

If it's the same episode of TZ that I'm thinking of, then that episode was a ripoff of another episode of the Twilight Zone.

14. Spastic Minnow

Spastic Minnow bringing kawaii back

The Evil Genius/ Brain in a Box theory of people unknowingly being controlled by an outside force is a branch of epistemology most notably developed by Rene "I Think therefore I am" Descartes in the sixteenth century. So yes, the idea has been around for awhile. :)

15. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal

Plato, darnit, Plato. :p

--Romey

16. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Existenz, wow I thought I was the only one who had seen this movie. I remember reading the box on it and it saying that it was "better than the Matrix" (right) it is by far far one of the worst movies I have ever seen and I let myself get suckered into renting it.

The Thirteenth Floor I have seen a few times. While it is no Matrix I found it more enjoyable to watch than Dark City.

17. Yuss

Yuss New Member

The direction is pretty similar, and in watching either of them you have to notice the similarities. But it's just a coincidence. Both movies are very derivative, and have apocalyptic/illusionish themes. The plots are completely different, though.

That said, they're both excellent movies. I enjoyed The Matrix more, but they're both very good.

~B+:

18. Master Moron

Master Moron New Member

Eh...it wasn't that bad. It was a neat concept, how a game could be so real that you can't tell if you're still in the game or not. But, it seemed like the production values were rather bad. And, what the hell was with that ending? Were they still in the game or not? I heard the DVD has an alternate ending, have you seen it? I'm wondering if the alternate ending makes any more sense.

19. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Well for me it was that bad. I was really disappointed. Definetly not my type of movie. Anyway its been atleast 5 years since I saw it and back then I didnt have a DVD player.