1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Avengers - blazing Logos

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Lucho, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Lucho

Lucho 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?

When a dark avenger leaves a flaming logo as warning an omen/calling card. An announcement that he's been there, watching or coming after you. It's become a common and recognizable trope in movies, but I'm wondering how common.
    Here's the ones I could find so far...

Zorro leaves his mark in- Zorro's Fighting Legion (1939)
    Lighting up a hill side with a giant "Z' as warning to his enemies he's coming after them, and as a sort of signal for Zorro or the "Legion" to assemble (yes it predates the Bat-Signal.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Crow leaves his mark (1994)
    [​IMG]

The Mask of Zorro leaves his mark (1998). An homage scene to the (1939) Zorro's Fighting Legion.
    [​IMG]

Also used extensively in the opening credits and in The Legend of Zorro (2005) promos -
    [​IMG]

Dare Devil leaves his mark (2003)
    [​IMG]

The Punisher leaves his mark (2004)
    [​IMG]

FF leave their mark (2005) Not really dark avengers, but definitely follows the same trope. (Anyone know when it first appeared in the comic?)
    [​IMG]

The Dark Knight leaves his mark (2008) Not in the movie, but they used the idea for the add campaign and poster.
    [​IMG]

#1 Lucho, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Lucho

Any others?

Was there one in the 94 Corman FF film? X-Men did Phoenix ever make a flaming symbol? Ghost Rider?

#2 Lucho, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Lucho

Theme used extensively through the Zorro promos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another one, and he definitely fits the Dark Avenger category

In the opening credits a flaming V logo is used.V for Vendetta (2005)
    [​IMG]

And in the classic scene where he introduces himself to Evey, he slashes a "V" into a street poster, homage to Zorro's classic "Z" mark.
    Then at the end recreates the V with fireworks.
    [​IMG]

#3 Lucho, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. Lucho

I honestly though this thread was done, but hey ....they keep pulling me back!

You don't really think of Superman when you think of Dark Avenger by night vigilante type, like many of the above, yet Smallville in it's latest season is doing its utmost to try an disassociate itself from the brightly clad, hero by day, sunny powered Superman, and trying to invoke something or someone else, a little ...darker.

One way to do that is instead of bright colors, dress him in black by night and have him scowl and lurk in the shadows and goth rooftops.
    [​IMG]
    Another, is to have him carve a blazing letter, leaving it as a calling card or ominous reminder of his presence. Smallville season 9 (2009)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Or is it a backwards "Z" ;)

#4 Lucho, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The "Flaming Logos" were cool at first, but I felt they got overused to the point of annoyance. As much as I like the film, I think the one in The Punisher is the biggest stretch.

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Right, because he makes it with exploding cars IIRC, which have to be unpredictable, and as far as we know he had no way of sighting it or laying it out or testing it, so it's kind of hard to swallow that it would come off perfectly. It's also just dumb that he would waste the time doing it.

7. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

the costume on smallville may be dark but the season is light. The costume is an homage to the black suit he wore when he fought the Cyborg Superman after returning from the dead.

8. Lucho

And so it returns...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just watched DKR on dvd and was reminded. this trope still going strong.

Anyone know of any others since then? Or from before?

#8 Lucho, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

Plus the CGI for it looks awful, or at least I'm fairly certain it's CGI. I've never actually seen any mention about it in behind the scenes stuff but if it's actually a practical effect then it wasn't worth it.

It just gives me a mental image of Frank frantically checking the news and/or youtube to make sure people were talking about the flaming skull before he tried to kill himself.

10. Lucho

Yeah the Punisher, and the last The Dark Knight Rises were the most egregious.
    The time and level of precision control it would take to flawlessly pull those off. Not that it couldn't be done, just ..really that's what they spent your time doing? LOL!

They definitely look cool though!

Looks like the (2014) Arkham Knight game revisited it,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#10 Lucho, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017