1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil Week: Did Mark Waid's revamp work?

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by Stu, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey,

To celebrate the release of Marvel's Daredevil coming to Netflix this Friday, both the Comic Book Culture and Marvel Animation Forums will be started special Daredevil themed threads up until it's release on Friday.

At the time of it's announcement, the news that Mark Waid's run on Daredevil would return the character to his swashbuckling roots was met with skeptical by many fans, who had come to except Daredevil as a dark book. Recent years had seen the death of his girlfriend Karen Page, the outing of his secret identity, the failure of his marriage and his law firm, many felt it would make a mockery of years worth of stories and it was too later for a lighter Matt Murdock.

I was personally torn... I didn't see that Daredevil needed the throwback, but Mark Waid is the industries greatest writer in my opinion. Since his relaunch, he has turned the book into a lighter. Arm fake by having Matt refuse to be beaten by his past, move to San Franciso away from his home in Hell's Kitchen and even publically out his secret identity again.

It has draw. It's fair share of fans and critics, many of whom are unhappy the the thrilling crime noir has been replaced by a superhero book.

What's your take? Do you wish to see the book return to its dark roots or is a happier Matt Murdock your preferred taste?

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I heard so many great things about Mark Waid's Daredevil when the first series was happening that I was disappointed that I somehow missed it. I got the first issue and trade of his run. I wasn't really too impressed with the debut issue, so I wasn't (and currently not) in a hurry to read the rest of his series. I honestly don't think I will. Because I wasn't really impressed with that ONE issue I read, I wasn't even going to bother when the series recently got relaunched (again). I didn't even know that the whole point of Waid's run was to make it a lighter take on the character, which I have no problem with, and not the specific reason why I wasn't impressed with it. I guess the Bendis and Brubaker runs set the bar high for anything that would follow (regardless if it was lighter or darker).