1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil Week: Best Daredevil Run?

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by Stu, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey,

To celebrate the release of Marvel's Daredevil coming to Netflix this Friday, both the Comic Book Culture and Marvel Animation Forums will be started special Daredevil themed threads up until it's release on Friday.

This has always been an odd question for me, personally. When asked to name my favourite Spider-Man run, I can quickly say nothing beats the original run from Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. I can tell you off the top of my head that no Fantastic Four run has ever topped Mark Waid and the late, great Mike Wieringo's run, nor can I recall a time on a Batman book I enjoyed more than Ty Templeton, Dan Slott and Rick Burchetts.

I have never been able to come up with a straight anwser for Daredevil. There are four which stick out in my mind - Frank Miller, Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev, Ed Brubaker and Micheal Lark and finaly Mark Waid and Paolo Rivera/Chris Samme. The odd thing is that I don't think any of them work without the other. I loved them all, but Bendis wouldn't have used Daredevil unless Miller did the same thing with the book decades beforehand, Brubaker could not have followed on from Bendis' sensational run and Mark Waid's lighter take doesn't work unless you realise he's fighting his own dark demons and refusing to allow them to ruin his life, as they did before.

Perhaps you have another run that I don't rank above my own, so level with me, what's your favourite Daredevil run and why?

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm going to have to go with the Ed Brubaker run. Mostly because I was able to experience that as it was happening when it began. Before he was announced as Bendi's successor, I was still catching up with all the Bendis issues. Maybe most importantly, the Brubaker run has the memorable "team up" with the Punisher. In which he intentionally gets caught by law enforcement so he can help his "buddy" Daredevil out while he's in prison.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

From the start of Roger McKenzie run at v1#151 til the end of Born Again at issue #233.
    Fun read of fun runs by Roger McKenzie (#151-167), Frank Miller (#168-191), Dennis O'Neil (192-226), And Frank Miller's Born Again (227-233)

After that folks can skip to the start of volume 2.