1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Daredevil" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

[​IMG]
    Series Talkback
    Friday, March 18, 2016 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix
    Just when Matt thinks he is bringing order back to the city, new forces are rising in Hell’s Kitchen. Now the Man Without Fear must take on a new adversary in Frank Castle and face an old flame – Elektra Natchios.

Bigger problems emerge when Frank Castle, a man looking for vengeance, is reborn as The Punisher, a man who takes justice into his own hands in Matt’s neighborhood. Meanwhile, Matt must balance his duty to his community as a lawyer and his dangerous life as the Devil of Hell’s Kitchen, facing a life-altering choice that forces him to truly understand what it means to be a hero.

Produced By: Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez
    Starring: Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Rosario Dawson, Jon Bernthal, Elodie Yung, and Stephen Rider
    Filming: July to December 2015
    Release Date: March 18, 2016
    Social Media: Twitter,
    Sources: DeKnight 11/30/14, Marvel 4/21/15, Empire 4/23, Marvel 5/8, CB 5/27, CBM 6/4, CBM 6/5, Marvel 6/9, CBR 6/18, CB 6/21, Nerdist 6/26, Marvel 7/7, DD 7/23, /Film 7/28, CBR 7/30, CBM 8/18, DD Tweet 8/19, Bernthal Tweet 9/3, Deadline 9/3, Collider 9/14, Bernthal Tweet 9/16, DD Tweet 9/16, IGN 10/10, CBM 10/10, CBR 10/11, CBM 12/5, CBM 12/28, CBR 12/29, CBR 12/29, EW 12/29, CB 1/2/16, CBR 1/4, CBR 1/7, CBR 1/14, CB 1/16, CBM 1/17, CBR 1/18, CBR 1/18, CB 1/22, CBR 1/29, Collider 2/2, CBR 2/3, CBR 2/17, CBR 2/22, CBR 2/23, CBR 3/10, AOL Build 3/11, CBR 3/15, CBR 3/16, CBR 3/16, CBR 3/17, CBR 3/18, CBR 3/18, CBR 3/18, EW 3/20, CBR 3/21, CBR 3/21, CBR 3/21, CBR 3/22, CBR 3/22, THR 3/22, CBR 3/25, CBR 3/31,
    Poster: CBR 10/6, CBR 3/4, CBR 3/8, CB 3/18,
    Filming: CBR 7/615, Tweet 7/10, CBM 8/8, CBM 8/28, CBR 12/11,
    Teasers: CBR 10/12, CBR 11/17, CBR 1/7/16, CBR 2/7, CBR 2/14, CBR 2/15, CBR 2/18, CBR 2/19, CBR 2/24, Netflix YT 2/25, CBR 3/8, CBR 3/10, CBR 3/15, CBR 3/17, CBR 3/18,
    This episode is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once. If you want to only talk about an episode in particular and not be spoiled on the rest of the season:
    #1.01: "Bang"
    #1.02: "Dogs to a Gunfight"
    #1.03: "New York's Finest"
    #1.04: "Penny and Dime"
    #1.05: "Kinbaku"
    #1.06: "Regrets Only"
    #1.07: "Semper Fidelis"
    #1.08: "Guilty as Sin"
    #1.09: "Seven Minutes in Heaven"
    #1.10: "The Man in The Box"
    #1.11: ".380"
    #1.12: "The Dark at the End of the Tunnel"
    #1.13: "A Cold Day in Hell's Kitchen"

*Special thanks to RoyalRubble for transcribing the episode titles and loglines!

#1 Yojimbo, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I still haven't found time to watch Season One. 9_9

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

There's at least one Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. connection this season.

4. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Decent start.

I missed it. Please spoil.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The Dogs of Hell biker gang in the first episode. They first appeared in AOS Season 1 "Yes Men" The Asgardian Lorelei brainwashed the Nevada chapter.

And lot's of Roxxon.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #5 Yojimbo, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I'm going to be honest, The Punisher is one of my least favorite comic book characters, so seeing him here acting the way he does only makes me wonder "Where's Captain America when you need him? Shield bash some sense into this guy!"

Also, I felt as the show progresses Matt's crime fighting is getting more and more brusk, severely damaging his opponents in a way that would even have Batman shaking his head in disapproval... Then again Batman is a pretty brusk fighter himself, so both these guys kind'a need to take some anger management sessions.

7. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

What a show. Arguably better than the first season while juggling so much more.

The show pretty much nailed it from the get go, the dynamic being Daredevil has on Nelson and Murdock, his relationships and his Catholasism.

The fight scenes are still the best around, and incredibly, the second episode managed top the hallway fight from last season with this fight down the stairs.

Everything I expected and so much more. Arguably Marvel's finest translation ever.

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the best scene I've seen so far( Im only up to episode 6 ) was Frank and Matt sitting at the graveyard. Their relationship had changed a lot since the earlier encounter from the previous episode. Jon Berenthal really knocked it out of the park with that monologue.

9. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

That was one of mine too, until something came up later in the season, but I won't spoil it for you.

What did everyone think to the suit this time around? I'm not sure how much it was modified from season one, but I thought it looked a lot more impressive here.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I, for one, think the suit is very impressive.

I know at least one TV critic who disliked the modified suit because it took the "danger" out of the fights. I thought it was a silly complaint; obviously, Matt is going to take measures to make his costume stronger, but also, did he miss how Punisher took out Daredevil in episode 1? The suit is durable, but he's still far from Iron Man. :p

11. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

The mask and the gloves are different as Melvin explicitly stated. His helmet goes over the ears this time and they got rid of the pentagon on his forehead.

It's just an odd decision for the so-called Man Without Fear to be decked out in body armor visually reminiscent of Nolan Batman regardless of the clear-cut reasoning. From the episodes I have seen this season he hasn't been taking on blunt objects or bullet holes to the degree this suit would necessitate. His helmet has been the most useful line of defense.

12. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the change in the mask since it seems the red is more vibrant and I can see his red eyes a little more clearly. Just looked a little closer to his comics mask.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

#13 Yojimbo, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  14. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I finally finnished the second season. It wasn't as good as the first season (which in my opinion is the best live-action superhero stuff on tv ever), but it was still worthy continuation of the story.

One of the best things about the first season was that it only had one main plotline and the whole season was focused on developing said plot and brinning it to satisfying conclusion. The second season has two plotlines, the rise of the Punisher and The Hand/Elektra - conflict, constantly fighting over each other, which leads to neither getting the full attention they deserved. Throughout the whole season, I was expecting them to connect the two storylines in some clever way, but it never happens. Kinda feels like that the showrunners really wanted to tell a big Hand - story, but were forced to add in Punisher and do the groundwork for his own Netflix - series. Like other people have already said, a lot of plot points are introduced and then forgotten, just so they can be potentially picked up later in season 3 and/or The Defenders. The lack of villain as strong as Wilson Fisk also really hurts all the attempts to create suspense.

Despite all these problems, the season still held my interest during all the episodes. Even though the stories didn't get enough room to fully grow, they were still well written and compelling. The best moments easily were Daredevil debating moral issues with other characters. All the action scenes were as brutal as they were in previous season and acting was perfect (even though some Miller purists are going to hate this show's take on Elektra). Plus, all the suprise characters (both from season 1 and Jessica Jones) were great and got me excited to see what they have in store for the future.

Lastly, I have to give credit where credit is due and compliment the pleasent suprise of the season. I'm of course talking about the Punisher. I have never liked comic-Punisher, because in all his grim and grittiness, he is just really immature teenage boy power fantasy, who has nothing to offer that you can't get from some cheap direct-to-video action movie from the 80's. Even the universally praised Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis, I couldn't read beoynd the first seven issues. This show, however, managed to make Punisher into a compelling character. Mostly because they focused on showcasing him as psychopath who has understandable and sympathetic motive, rather than tried to make him look "cool." I would honestly watch Jon Bernthal's Punisher Netflix - show.

tl;dr Despise some of its flaws, Daredevil season 2 is thrilling ride and I'm still excited to see what Marvel/Netflix has in store for next.

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Concluded the season yesterday. There BETTER be a Punisher show. Or a Netflix Punisher movie. I wish/hope Netflix (or a fan) makes a Punisher only cut of the entire season. I would prefer that for repeat viewings over watching a bunch of key episodes again and again.

16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Finally finished the season. I have to say I have mixed emotions about it. It was an okay followup, but I felt like either Elektra or Frank Castle could've been shown sparingly. Frank really didn't need to be in the entire season, and Elektra could of (probably should of) had as much screentime as Diana did in BvS. The ending felt forced. I was really disappointed toward the climax episodes.

This Punisher was absolutely perfect. I have always imagined a Deniro-esque Scorcese directed Punisher. Thats what we got here with exception of better dialogue and direction. Elektra was okay, but not all that impressive to me overall. Loved Fisk coming into his Kingpin role, and William Forsythe made me LOL when I saw him. You can't have a bigger name for an evil character actor than him. They clearly set up 'Born Again', which is why this is disappointing. Also, do all superhero love interests show up as pretty damsels in distress and graduate to a position they clearly are not qualified for (*ahem Iris West)?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It will release in the U.K. on May 15, 2017. No word on a U.S. release (I'm not waiting).
    *Listing on Zavvi. Zavvi once again has the exclusive Steelbook version.
    *Listing on Amazon U.K.