1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Daleks top 10 scariest PBS idents

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Lord Dalek, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I'm bored, let's have some fun!

• WGBH Boston “Flash of Doom” (1978+) The annoying music predates the logo by at least four years but the dark nature and flashing make it truly terrifying. The more recent endcap version isn’t as bad though. Found on episodes of Mystery, Masterpiece Theater, Nova, Zoom, and until just recently Antiques Roadshow
    • WNET New York “Clapping Clockwise” (1993-?) This used to be on Charley Rose and Nature in the mid-90s. I seem to recall something it having to do a circle of light gradually revealing the WNET box logo while an avant guard clapping sound was heard. Pretty freaky stuff when you’re a seven year old.
    • Children’s Television Workshop “Sparks” (1982-1995?) See here. Despite what you might have heard this was never on Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact did have it though.
    • Oregon Public Broadcasting “OEPBS”, “Rising Trees” (1971? - 1981) Good golly miss molly. It seems somebody at what was then OEPBS decided the Screen Gems S From Hell was really cool and decided to rip it off. If the bad animation and cheesy jingle don’t get to you than I don’t know what will, but don’t take my word for it.
    • Childeren’s Television Workshop “Snake” (1978-1981) Butt ugly and the music is dreadful. Good animation though
    • The Annenberg CPB Project “Parallelograms” (1984 - ?) Three raising parallelograms on a dark blue gradiant background + weird music = business as usual on weekday afternoons in the early 90’s. Since PBS doesn’t carry schools and colleges programs anymore you’ll have to live in a college town to see it.

#1 Lord Dalek, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a tape with the Annenberg CPB Project logo on it. You've used my OEPBS video here; maybe I should make an Annenberg wmv as well.

3. Lord Dalek

Well it is probably the only copy in existence. :anime:

4. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Dude! I remember the Sparks one back when we used to watch '3-2-1 Contact' in school. XD

Not so creepy anymore, but I do like the font used. ^^

5. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

I had this conversation not too long ago...

I'd utterly forgotten the horror these logos struck in my heart 'til that thread. The fears were so long ago, I'd forgotten them by time I hit double digits. I can't imagine how people managed to remember those.

The 70's had some truely horrid ones I think were meant to strike fear in the hearts of children and take away all their hope.

The P-Head.... what in the hell was that thing???

While we're on the topic, I remember one commercial that was like touching a live wire, the fear shocked me so hard to the bone.

It was this construction guy and he was using a pick-axe on some dirt. The music started quietly.... then built... and buildt... and built 'til it was near deafening and---- WHAM!!!! The music blares and this explosion of electricity bursts across the screen.

You just knew this guy had met the worst deat imaginable. O___O

I couldn't really comprehend the commercial at the time... all I knew was someone had just made a commercial for us to watch someone die horribly for no apparent reason.

Gorram....

6. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Interesting. I've watched PBS all my life, and I don't recall ever finding any of their idents frightening. It must be a difference in sensibilities.

> It was this construction guy and he was using a pick-axe on some dirt. The music started quietly.... then built... and buildt... and built 'til it was near deafening and---- WHAM!!!! The music blares and this explosion of electricity bursts across the screen. <

Was this something on PBS, or are we talking about commercials in general? Because there have been a couple of those that scared me.

One in particular. It was an anti-smoking spot, showing this woman tearing her house apart searching for a cigarette. "All I wanted was one cigarette. Just one.
    Just one!
    JUST ONE!!"
    Finally she digs a half-smoked butt out of an ash tray, and for a moment looks triumphant.
    Then... her face changes. She's staring at the cigarette as though it were tinged with ebola.
    "That's when it hit me... My moment of truth..."

Brrrrrr!!

#6 Sharklady, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  7. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

How is any of that scary? Lilium is scarier than that!

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

All we need now is a topic of the Top 10 scariest home video idents (number 1: Children's Video Library).

9. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

It's scary when you're younger than saaaay four or so? Like I said, these are oooollllllld memories of terror.

10. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

What 'Lilium' do you refer to?

When I Googled it, all I founds was refs to the lilly-flower's genus.

11. Lord Dalek

I don't know, Simitar is hard to top.

12. Lord Dalek

I believe Cloud is referring to Elfen Lied.

13. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

^ Then I'm unclear on Cloud's point. To judge from the online images, 'Elfen Lied' is *quite* scary.

14. Rolling Cloud

The theme Song for Elfen Lied: Lilium is really scary when you listen to it the very first time. The church bells and the weird voice is just enough to put a scare right through you.

15. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

^ Well, then it's not saying too much, to assert something is less scary than 'Lilium'. It sounds like it must be more frightening than anything on PBS (except those 'Frontline' documentaries about the possibility of terrorists launching nuclear/ chemical/ biological attacks.)

16. Rolling Cloud

OK! Stop! That's where my fear meter goes right out the door.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Okay, then; back to scary commercials.

As I recall, the ones that most frightened me as a kid were all Public Service spots. I suppose that's because they were trying to draw attention to possible threats, not project positive images for products.

I remember a particularly nightmarish one, advocating seatbelt use, which featured a young mother and very cute little girl being killed in a collision. It began with the aftermath- ambulance lights flashing and the girl's broken doll on the street- and backtracked to when they were happily getting into the car.

Voiceover: "Janie Richards and her mother weren't wearing their seatbelts that day- they were only going to the park. But any excuse for not wearing seatbelts may be the beginning of your end."

I believe they now call this a 'Scared Straight' tactic.

More to come...

18. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Here's another PSA (public service announcement) that made me duck under the covers at night:

It starts with an ironic listing of all the things the drunk driver has done for us, recited by an understated, almost whispery voice-over (imagine a very somber Truman Capote):

"He brings families together." Clip of crying people gathered at a burial.

"He creates job openings." Clip of workers in a factory regretfully glancing at an empty work station.

"He prevents overcrowding in our schools." Clip of a third-grade classroom centered on one vacant desk.

Then, POV footage of an impared person driving at speed, meandering all over the road. This is accompanied by a gradually rising 'Whoo-oo' sound effect, like a pulsing alarm.

"After all he's done for us, we should do something for him."

The POV vehicle careens into the left lane. Directly ahead, a second car appears.

"If he's sick, let's help him."

The other car, in a vain attempt to avoid collision, veers onto the shoulder.

"But first, let's get him off the road."

The POV car speeds straight towards the other. Just before it hits, the alarm gets very loud, and the visual cuts to blackscreen with the words

SCREAM BLOODY MURDER!!

#18 Sharklady, Mar 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006
  19. Lord Dalek

Some honorable mentions...

1. Maryland Public Television "Globe" (Late 90's to present) - Gah! Ugly font!

2. BBC Worldwide Americas "Eileen Donan Castle, BBC America version" - This is a modified version of a 1997 BBC 1 ident with an extra unexpected pop of hot air

3. American Public Television (both versions, 1996+) - Nasty synthesized music that jars with the quite serene OPB ident at the end of episodes of Mustard Pancakes.

4. Lionheart Television "Flipping Lion" (Early 1980's) - I've never seen this but according to KRS Logos it's very frightening

5. Time-Life Television (1974-1981) - Dark with rough animation. The jingle may also upset some but I love it.

20. Lord Dalek

Bumped with an update as the legendary CTW Snake is finally available in a copy that looks watchable.