1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

D*sney

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Psycho Fox, May 8, 2001.

1. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

I'll just continue the Disney discussion from the Sylvester & Penny's Possible "Club" on this new thread since it was getting kinda of the topic of the orginal post.

I do repect Disney they are a good studio and they have made some great works but more important is that without them there would be no underground scene since most of those guys went underground couse they where sick of cute Disney style animation. Plus without Dinsey there would be no Bambi thus no Bambi meets Godzilla the 30 second short featuring Gozillia's foot squishing Bambi done in 1969 that sparked the underground scene.

2. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Okay, I have to ask. What's Dinsey? =X

3. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> Animation Quality: Yes Disney does good hi-quality animation but they are not the best Richard Williams was going to blow Disney away with Arabian Knight but went
    bankrupted. There are others that have tried yes all have failed but one of these days
    someone is gona succeed at this goal. <

One of these days, prehaps, but I'm speaking in the present tense.

> Story: Ok here I have to say that at thier best they are really really good but still some have blowen Disney away in this are too but they usally sacrifice animation quality. <

Can you give me an example? I've seen some animated movies with story-quality *comperable* to the best Disney ('Watership Down', and 'Chicken Run' spring to mind), but none that inarguably surpassed it.

4. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Sorry typo that should be Disney

Plauge Dogs.... Watch it, I was in tears afterwords it shock me more then Bambi when the relization that after all the dogs went through and the fox getting torn by attack dogs to buy them some time the dogs just drowned with high hopes till the end.

I don't see Disney as the best they don't experiment. NFB's shorts is a good example of experimentation since they experimented like mad since the goverment already gave them a pathetic budget so wellfair would have been a step up. They made some deep stuff and controversial like Spinnolio (a take on Pinocchio) about a puppet that gets the good life while he is a puppet (love the fact he got promoted yet did nothing) but when the fairy came to bring him to life he became a homless bum. Then my fav was this short of a E and everyone saing E then the kind came in and said B the doctor gave him glasses so to fix his eyes the king thanked the doctor through the glasses away then ordered his guards to beat everyone till they saw the E as a B. Plus NFB even had the guts to do a sex ed film in a cartoony style but natch the church had something to say about that (Chuck Jones bought the story board). I could go on and on about deep shorts done by NFB and other studios

5. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

I have not seen 'Plague Dogs'- I did start to read the book once, but found it too depressing to finish. One awful happening right after another...

> I don't see Disney as the best they don't experiment. <

Oh, but they do! A good recent example is 'Mulan'- many of the graphics are in the style of classic Chinese painting. I've never seen any other cartoon try to do that; it's one of several reasons why I greatly enjoyed that movie (I'm very partial to Asian art.)

6. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

7. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Back up. It's great that you talk about obscure animation houses, but give us deprived people a little context. What the heck is NFB?

And if you're talking about animation techniques, Disney DOES experiment... obviously you missed the short John Henry, where they animated cloth.

Ummm... are you sure about that? Pretty much everyone gives Disney's The Great Mouse Detective credit as the first cel film with computerized elements (the gears in the clock tower), and that came out in the early 80s...

8. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

9. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

National Film Board would be my guess.

10. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

You're so honest! :)

My boyfriend would have come up with a definition for Dinsey. :)

11. Craig Marinaro

Craig Marinaro The Feast of 1,000 Beasts

Well, be glad Will isn't your boyfriend, then. And Will will be glad that Keeper isn't his boyfriend. And I'll be glad that Hatter isn't my boyfriend. And Sharklady will be sorry she ever got involved in this thread to begin with!

-C
    Official ToonZone Whittler of Little Pine Ducks.

12. Nftnat

As for me, I'm glad I'm not anyone's boyfriend. Altho Belch did threaten to kiss me once. Not to mention those who wanted to eat me.

13. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Hmm I can't think up a difinition of Dinsey

14. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> NFB's first short that was 100% done on a computer was Medadata and that was 1970 second was Hunger in 1974 <

I *have* seen 'Hunger.' It was included in the 'International Animation Festival' series on PBS- a series long since off the air, alas, but prehaps some of it's eps are available on video. You would've enjoyed that series, Will- it specialized in showcasing experimental animation styles (including some that never caught on in the US, and it's no mystery why.)

For example: remember that 'Simpsons' ep, when the 'Crusty the Clown Show' lost it's right to broadcast 'Itchy and Scratchy', so they tried to substitute a very weird cat-and-mouse cartoon from Eastern Europe?
    Guess what: some Eastern European studios really *do* make cartoons like that (or at least *did.*) I saw some very similar examples on that aforementioned Animation series, so instantly recognized the 'Simpsons' clip.

15. Nftnat

Shades of the Deitch-era Tom & Jerrys. I never did really get the eastern Europe toons myself, but that's just me.

16. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

17. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Oh, I never meant to imply that *all* Eastern Euro animation was like that. I was just mentioning that the example we saw on 'Simpsons' was authentic.

I'll bet a lot of viewers thought it was something Matt Groening made up, possibly while under the influence of a controlled substance. Not this time!

That is, Groening wasn't involved. The controlled substances may have been.

18. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Well I have to admit the NFB did some werid a*s stuff too but not that many. Anyway you might be right it is knowen that some NFB animators used controled subtances and you can still animate if you use soft drugs but heavy drugs can distroy your fine motor skill and hand eye coordination meaning you could lose the ablility to draw meaning if they did it was either soft drugs or they were not animators for long.

#18 Psycho Fox, May 10, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2001
  19. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

oye!

And you're making me wish I hadn't brought that up. :p

20. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Um, no comment!

So there. :p