Cybersix - Fox KIDS version / Japanese Version Inquiry

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Ashura, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Ashura

Ashura New Member

I'm working on a few things for the DVD release of this show, and I'm wondering if anyone here happens to have any information on the FoxKIDS version of Cybersix?

Specifically, which episodes managed to air, and possibly even maybe a VHS copy of the Fox Kids version of the opening that they could talk about?

I've searched through some of my own tapes from the time and only have managed to find half of a commercial, unfortunately. :( I liked this show a lot, but it went off the air fast before I could tape it, and it's only this year I've gotten to see it again.

Also, I was reading elsewhere that Cybersix aired "recently" on Japanese TV. I'm curious about information on this. The first question I have is when it was aired, which channel, and if there's a date when it was dubbed into Japanese?

Any info on the Japanese version would be great to know, really. :) I'd love to check out the credits just to see when that version was produced.

Any help would be awesome. Thank you guys very much. :)

2. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I know the Japanese version aired on a digital channel in Japan many years ago but no footage has been found of it that I can find.

3. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Here's the Fox Kids (US) info about the schedules for "Cybersix". Ten episodes aired. The show was aired on Saturday mornings at 8:30AM until October 7, 2000. On October 21, 2000, the timeslot was changed to 11:30AM.

August 19, 2000
    CX-101 Mysterious Shadow [new]

August 26, 2000
    CX-102 Data 7 & Juilan [new]

September 2, 2000
    CX-103 Terra [new]

September 9, 2000
    CX-105 Lori is Missing [new]

September 16, 2000
    CX-106 Blue Birds of Horror [new]

September 23, 2000
    CX-101 Mysterious Shadow

September 30, 2000
    CX-107 Brainwashed [new]

October 7, 2000
    CX-108 Gone with the Wings [new]

October 14, 2000
    (pre-empted)

October 21, 2000
    CX-110 The Eye [new]

October 28, 2000
    CX-109 Full Moon Fascination [new]

November 4, 2000
    CX-111 The Greatest Show in Meridiana [new] (The last airdate)

#3 Erased Paper, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  4. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Kids Station, according to the Japanese Wikipedia?

5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Cybersix aired on at least three different Japanese TV channels:

- The original run began in October 2000 on Kids Station. Kids Station page - Wikipedia page
    - In August 2006 the show ran on Tokyo MX TV. Tokyo MX TV page - Telecom Blog post
    - Most recently the show aired on TV Kanagawa in April of 2012. TV Kanagawa page - Telecom Blog post

Telecom is the Japanese animation studio that worked on the series. Here are some archived versions of their official Cybersix website:

CYBERSIX/ (Japanese)
    CYBERSIX/home (English)

The Japanese one has a credits page.

It's interesting to note that while the show was dubbed into Japanese, the opening theme song was still in English. As far as I can tell, the show was never released on any home video format in Japan.

Shouldn't TMS (Telecom's owner) be able to provide this information to you guys?

6. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I wonder if Discotek would be able to put the Japanese dub with English subtitles on the upcoming DVD set if there is enough demand.

7. Ashura

Ashura New Member

This show came out over 10 years ago, so things like 'which version was dubbed first' and things like the Fox Kids version have essentially been lost to time. I doubt many people who work there now in the licensing department worked on the show then. And even then, they weren't involved in production.

I watched this show when it aired, but I've actually found a list of edits which will be very helpful for my notes. The information on the Japanese version is super helpful too.

One thing I've been trying to ascertain is if the Japanese wrote the show and it was adapted, or if the scripts were written in English first. My research so far seems to indicate that the stories were pitched on the Japanese end, but the actual episode writing was done by the writers in Canada.

8. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I have to ask, why all the research for a DVD release? Is Discotek doing some original bonus features or something?

And yes, based on the credits list above, the original story concepts came from Japan, and then were expanded on by Canadian writers.

9. Ashura

Ashura New Member

I've been given permission to try to create some bonus features, yes. Mainly it's just liner notes, but there might be a few surprises.

If there's anything people think I should look into, please suggest it.

Also, much appreciated on any and all the help I've gotten so far. :)

#9 Ashura, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Kirben

Kirben Member

The production bible, or scripts or any notes about what was planned for next season would be good to have on DVD. Even if just in PDF format on the discs, although I expect those materials would be difficult to track down.

11. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Ashura, I'm going to send you a PM in a moment, regarding something, so check that in a bit.

Anyways, is there any guarantee you guys will be able to secure the Japanese audio track for the series? It is a co-production, and I figured like with Little Nemo, it would make sense to include it. I tried asking Discotek on their facebook a couple times, but haven't been able to get a straight answer.

12. sdp

sdp miscrave

As for special features, I read that the opening and closing theme had a full version that was made because they thought the show would be a hit but alas the show failed and the tracks never surfaced, those songs are great and if they could be included many would be so happy since this DVD which might be their only hope of ever coming out. Another special feature could be getting some info on the Live-Action Cybersix show from Argentina, maybe even some footage.

I would suggest asking any questions on the comic&cartoon section of 4chan, maybe even at different times of the day since threads die after an hour or so if it's not popular, you'll be surprised how many people there have information about shows and Cybersix has always been a popular cult show there http://boards.4chan.org/co/

13. Ashura

Ashura New Member

Thanks guys, this is all very useful and sent me on some good leads. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with the Italian comic? I've read the French one, but it doesn't go for as long as the Italian one, apparently. Does anyone know what the ending is?

14. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

The show was technically a co-production with that Canadian studio/company, and I'm sure the writing was at least done with the Canadian side at hand if they decided to animate it to English dialog by default (been told a number of European animated films tend to go that route as well in animating to an English script). Of course the series itself was also based on a Argentine comic/graphic novel of the same name, so it was quite a globe-trotted effort. I wish I knew more about this "N.O.A." company that worked on the show with TMS personally.

Kinda wonder who to blame for "Yashimoto, Private Eye", what with the way they chose the depict the character though it's interesting nobody back at TMS said nothing about it (at least he didn't sound like a stereotype).

Lord knows that was one theme song I really loved a lot and wished it was a longer version as I'm sure most of us did. Shame the show didn't go anywhere or they could've stuck out a cassette/CD single of it. Use to sing those tunes all the time! Never saw the show though on Fox Kids, bothered instead to pick up a few episodes that were released on VHS up in Canada or from Teletoon airings.

That would be interesting, if only because of how rather unknown much of that is simply because those comics hardly saw print up here.
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/4/48397/1523436-cyb_13.jpg

Then there's always TMS if they help.

15. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the French and Italian versions both completely adapted everything from the original Spanish. I could be wrong, though!

The complete versions of those opening and ending themes would probably be the ultimate holy grail of a special feature for any Cybersix release, but I can't imagine that they'd even be possible to secure. It would be great to see some in-depth character profiles that cover information that the series never touches on, or even a small glossary defining certain concepts (ie: describing the difference between "Fixed Ideas," "Technos," and "Types"). That type of feature doesn't seem to be too common with DVDs these days, but it would be perfect for something like Cybersix.

EDIT: I see that you're doing liner notes! Great, can't wait to get my hands on this!

#15 Pepperidge, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  16. wizard55

wizard55 Member

Cybersix

I am very happy to see somebody trying to put time and effort into this release.

I did have an audio file of the FOXKIDS version of the theme at one time. It was VERY hard to find, and sadly I do not believe I have it anymore. it was about 30 seconds long instead of 60 and it did have a difference in the vocals. Coral Egan, who sang it either recorded that version for Fox or it was another part of the full version which we have still yet to find.

there is also a great commercial that aired on Fox that you can find on YouTube by typing in "cyber six foxkids"

As far as japanese items go... I know a site that was online back when the show was on Fox that had the Japanese opening but sadly it went down before I was ever able to get ahold of it. I too have searched and searched online for any of the Japanese audio or Japanese themes and have yet to come across them. so besides lots of Japanese fan art and some pictures from the original TMS site....nothing.

YouTube has clips of the 90s liveaction Argentina series in all its horribly cheesy glory. .

also, you may have already found this but one of the very popular cyber 6 web sites from back in the day had a very very extensive list of all the stuff edited out of the Fox Kids versions.

I would send you a lot more links and more info if I was not on my shoddy mobile phone. Good luck and Ill check back here soon.