Cunning Condor's Cartoon Carnival

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Cunning Condor, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

What makes a cartoonist popular on the internet? I've yet to figure that out.

2. Cunning Condor

Cunning Condor Unfriendly Cartoonist

Pandering to the lowest common denominator, from what I've observed.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I'm going to be poor forever.

4. Cunning Condor

If it's money you're after, a career in art shouldn't even cross your mind.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That was a joke, good sir. I am not compromising my artistic principles for any reason, even if it means I can't sell it. I agree with you.

6. Cunning Condor

Good on ya.

7. Cunning Condor

Messing round in Illustrator some more.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I like how expressive the fingers are.

9. Cunning Condor

Yeah I've always been lucky enough to be good with drawing hands. I understand most artists struggle with em. It can be especially frustrating for cartoonists given how hands are ultra expressive ergo ultra essential. Guess it just comes naturally for me.

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You definitely have a skill there. I personally use hands much less than I should. Not because I particularly suck at them, but because my comic book stories are more dialogue than action oriented, and the co-lead has Asperger's, and the lead relates to him as such. Gilda and Meek is NOT a great fit for a comic. I'm abusing the medium a bit by not using it to its fullest potential the way you are here. I'll cop to that. I tend to think of The Un-Iverse as sort of a screenplay with illustrations (the Narrator even gives stage directions!). But I admire cartoonists who use the medium appropriately immensely. I wouldn't have an avatar by Jeff Smith and a sig by Bill Watterson if I didn't.

11. Cunning Condor

Keeping a dialogue-heavy visual story interesting may require expressiveness, if not dynamic art (I.E. various angles and suchlike). Otherwise it may work best as a novel. It is accurate that us Aspies don't emote that much compared to other people. I recommend reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime if you haven't already.

And yes, Smith and Waterson are terrific role models for any cartoonist. They are two of my biggest inspirations as well.

As for comics, while I'd certainly enjoy making some here n there, my focus in primarily on animation so I'm currently more oriented to having my world in motion instead of panels. Still, I've done some comics in the past and will likely make more as time goes on but for now I'm focusing on gettin' em movin'.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

With my story, it's more about the dialogue itself than the expressions on the faces. That's how heavy and important the dialogue is. I can have a character have a different expression on the same line reading and I'd still be able to get across what I wanted to get across. Many of my expressions are based upon multiple choices for what would work with the scene. My characters are not particularly expressive for the most part, but I am able to get what they are thinking and doing across due to the dialogue.

It's not a great fit for a comic. But I cannot write a linear novel for crap, so a screenplay is the best I can do. Gilda and Meek is pretty much a screenplay with pictures and I treat it as such. I don't overthink it beyond that.

I love animation. I use the comic format because it is something I can actually do myself. The comics I post on the board are crude, but I'm hoping if somebody really likes them, I could be paired with a better artist who can do my art style, but draw objects, vehicles, and action scenes, which I cannot. But if I had an animation budget for 90 episodes I'd tell the story that way. Comics I can do myself for free.

13. Cunning Condor

More brush messabouts.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Badass expression.

15. Cunning Condor

Facial expressions have always been a strength of mine for as long as I can remember. Though as I ease into a variety of more realistic styles with my art, it becomes more challenging, particularly with shaping the eyes.

16. Cunning Condor

Sharpening up for classes starting next week.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    #36 Cunning Condor, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Out of curiosity, do you have a story to go with your characters?

18. Cunning Condor

Kate in particular? No. This was just a character practice. Been tryna stay sharp for classes starting next week so I've been throwing around random character designs n sketchin em in Ai.
    [​IMG]
    As for stories with characters, I do have several ideas but I've yet to bring them to full fruition, given how I'm still a kid, pretty much.

• Like Like x 1
    #38 Cunning Condor, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  19. Gatordragon

Gatordragon "In the end, I will reign supreme"

I like the sketchiness of your lines. Did these take long?

20. Cunning Condor

Not particularly. These are just practice sketches to warm up for classes next week.

As for the sketchy look, that's mainly due to my tendency to prefer traditional art methods over digital at the moment as I'm still learning how digital art works. I'd like to give my art some digital sparkle but at the moment, I'm still figuring out how that works.