Crunchyroll's New Direction - Streaming Anime with Support of Japanese Companies

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Over the course of the past few days, we have seen news about Crunchyroll's new direction by getting support directly from anime companies based in Japan to stream their shows. I will list the number of anime titles announced by anime companies to be streamed by Crunchyroll in this post.

The first sign of this was in March when GDH and Gonzo announced that they would be streaming the following anime series on Crunchyroll:

1. The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk
    2. Blassreiter

The next sign of this was on October 3 when GDH and Gonzo allowed Linebarrels of Iron to be streamed shortly after its initial Japanese airing. So we have:

3. Linebarrels of Iron

After that, on October 27, Toei Animation allowed the following shows to be streamed on Crunchyroll:

4. Digimon Adventure Zero Two
    5. Fist of the North Star
    6. Pretty Cure
    7. Slam Dunk

On November 17, Crunchyroll announced that they will be streaming Naruto Shippuden, shortly after its Japan airing. There were two news announcements regarding this on ANN, this one and an update:

8. Naruto Shippunden

On November 20, TV Tokyo and Crunchyroll announced two more anime series for streaming:

9. Shugo Chara!
    10. Skip Beat!

Also, according to BB Watch, another anime not announced in the English press releases is scheduled for Crunchyroll streaming:

11. Gintama

So that's ten titles we know for sure will be streamed by Crunchyroll, and the eleventh one will likely get an English press release in the near future. I believe there will be more anime series announced for streaming on CR in the future. As more titles are announced, it should be reflected in this thread.

So what do you of Crunchyroll getting these deals with anime companies? Will it be good for the industry, or will it end up becoming a failed experiment? I personally think it will be good for the industry, since there are Western-created animated shows that were created with international markets in mind with multiple language recordings while they were in production. One example I can think of is when Disney localized W.I.T.C.H. for all the countries in Europe with even the theme song recorded in different languages, so to do the same for anime while it is in production would be a good step for the industry IMO.

[11/22/2008 Update: Added Info from March 2008 to list from other TZ members. I found the original news on ANN for it, and updated the numbers accordingly. Thanks.]

2. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

I'm not sure if anyone also knows this, but Crunchyroll will stop submitting User Videos in January 2009 (I think the 8th, don't quote me), which I find is a good direction. It's just one step closer for them to becoming legit. They've actually been recently removing many fansub videos that were posted online on the site as of recent, so it does seem that they are seriously trying to go all legal.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Okay, this is more like it. I'll give this a try at the turn of the year. Hulu too probably, I keep hearing good things about it.

4. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Crunchyroll started long before Linebarrels of Iron. They had Blassreiter and The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk back in March as the first titles in Gonzo's streaming agreement with Crunchyroll.

As far as the companies go, I believe they've basically accepted that Americans are going to watch the shows they want to watch by any means necessary. Getting an American company to show them legit, like Crunchyroll, is the first step to doing away with fansubs all together, which in turn also stops illegal copyrighted material from being published.

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Gintama? Interesting. I wonder who is making that happen.

On another note... paying to see subbed Naruto shortly after the broadcast? Yeah that's not going to stop piracy as well as it would if it was free to the visitors and paid for via ad buys. I for one wont bother joining CR's pay service to get something I'll be able to enjoy for free shortly thereafter.

I'm so behind on Shippudden anyway... I could enjoy it more probably just by watching the subs on Naruto.com from episode 1.

6. creativerealms

creativerealms New Member

Simply the best way to stop anime pirating is to match the Pirates moves. Sure it will never truely stop them but it's the right step.

They also have titles from ADV and media Blasters up there legally.

7. Beat

Beat Retired

The anime industry is doing what people have been asking them to do to stop fansubs. Namely, create a legal alternative which cuts the timelag to zero, and incorporating the fansubbing channels into the legal alternative. This is progress. Not friviolous lawsuits, legal methods of accomplishing the same goal.

8. Baby Naruto

Baby Naruto New Member

Does Crunchyroll have (any) english dubbed anime (at all)?

9. bigddan11

As Creative Realms said, they have shows from ADV and Media Blasters.

10. Baby Naruto

Baby Naruto New Member

But are the episodes on CrunchyRoll english dubbed? That's what i wanna know, cuz I dont watch subs, legal or illegal.

11. bigddan11

ADV and Media Blasters only release dubbed programming. On the DVD's they have dubbed and subbed, but online they only release dubbed.

12. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I think its a great idea.

If I had a portable video player (and a credit card >.> ) I'd totally buy HQ download episodes of my favorites shows from TOEI and others.

I'm also really happy to see that they're not stalling and really cranking out those episodes in a timely fashion. Can't wait to see what else they'll put up.

Com'on Disney...follow the example and give us some of Saban's back catalog!! (Flint, Mon Colle Knight, Samurai Pizza Cats!!!).

13. Baby Naruto

Baby Naruto New Member

Oh, ok, just thought I should check first before going on over to Crunchyroll.

14. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Previous statement:
    Correction: For that sort of thing, Crunchyroll is the new TV.

15. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Didn't CR also stream Blassreiter and Tower of Druaga (Season 1) literally right after (or around the time of) it's airing? If so, you missed them in your list, Tommy.

Either way, their site is okay... but it's way cluttered on there. Hulu and Joost are somewhat smoother for me in terms of a clean screen, but I don't maximize videos on streaming sites anyway, so eh.

16. Zack

Zack stuff

Actually, ADV and Media Blasters have released subtitled versions of their shows on Crunchyroll. ADV, however, has released only dubbed versions of their shows on Joost.com.

17. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

I'm curious about that too, since no US companies have even hinted at having it. It's insanely popular in Japan but only has a cult following everywhere else. Not to mention the anime is supposedly ending in April, which would only put 13 officaly subbed episodes on Crunchyroll.

Are they leaving the fansubbed vids? Are they going to replace them with offical transations? Are they yanking them altogether? Guess we'll find out.

18. Baby Naruto

Baby Naruto New Member

I hope that there is a Gin Tama english dub made sometime during 2009 :D.

19. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I wouldn't expect there will be. If it goes directly to CR then it'll be sub only.

20. Baby Naruto

Baby Naruto New Member

I wasnt really talking about Crunchyroll lol ;).