1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers that never happened---but should've

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by hobbyfan, May 5, 2009.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Not feasible. DIC no longer owns Gadget (Disney does) or has a license for WWF/E and the C.O.P.S. toys. Once again, we're veering into fanfic.

2. hobbyfan

10 years ago, Cartoon Network decided to parody "The Blair Witch Project" with "The Scooby-Doo Project". If it was their idea to mark Scooby's 30th anniversary, they were way, way off base.

At the time, Scooby reruns were flooding Cartoon Network's schedule big time. Every hole in the schedule was filled with Scooby, instead of giving the other mystery series (i.e. Clue Club, Goober, Chan Clan) some premium airspace.

See, what I had in mind was to have Scoob & the Mystery Inc. team "disappear" for a few weeks while CN & Warners began laying the groundwork for promoting "Scooby-Doo & the Witch's Ghost", the 2nd DTV in the current series. You'd pre-empt Scooby in favor a Clue Club here, a Butch Cassidy there, and so on for about 4-6 weeks until "Witch's Ghost" could have a "World Premiere" on CN before going to stores in time for the Christmas rush. Unfortunately, the idiots at CN couldn't think of anything that complex.

Fast forward to the What's New series (2002-05). I get that WB preferred to have celebrity guest stars (i.e. Mike Piazza) interact with the MI team, a la the 1972 movie series, but if you really wanted to go in that direction, why not bring in updated versions of the Clue Club, Funky Phantom, et al, reimagined for a modern day audience? While fans are split on What's New, I think we can all agree it was much better than the series that followed (Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue, 2006-8).

I'd previously laid out a scenario that set up Fred & Daphne's seemingly inevitable wedding (and there are tons of fanfics that do have them getting married), with the Clue Club and others among the guests, which also sets up the return of a reformed Scrappy-Doo. I believe that if WB wants to finally pull the trigger on this, they can't make the movie without acknowledging "what Scooby hath wrought", as the saying goes. If Scooby-Doo Where Are You wasn't a hit when it debuted 40 years ago (come September), we wouldn't have had Clue Club, Chan Clan, Funky Phantom, et al. If they could stop insulting the intelligence of the older fans and pay heed to, say, Santayana, they could still get it right.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

I say ditch the wedding (would mess up the group dynamic to pair two together like that; it's bad enough they want to do it on Archie, and it really started out as a joke on the Johnny Bravo spoof), and Scrappy would not be "reformed"; the movie was either not canonical, or it should be undone as fake.

4. hobbyfan

The movie is not part of the canon. It was written to appease the Scrappy-haters on the web with no regard to the vast majority of fans who've followed Scooby from day 1. The wedding of Fred & Daphne is almost inevitable, but if you feel it's a jump the shark moment waiting to happen, I wouldn't argue that point.

The wedding arc in Archie may be nothing more than a sales ploy, IMPO.

5. cyde

cyde Active Member

Like milking the cash cow. You got to admit, Freddy and the D-gal WERE meant for each other......

6. Looneytunes

Looneytunes Active Member

That is right, but gander this amazing fact. In the pilot episode, "Kevin in Videoland", Lana tells Kevin, "Why, you are in Videoland. The Ultimate Warp Zone brought you here." Kevin replies, "You mean like Warp Zone 4 in "Super Mario Bros."? Lana then replies, "Something like that. The legend foretold of your coming to help restore freedom to our world." Knowing this, the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the episodes, but it is most certainly not impossible that they could still exist in Videoland. They might very well be considering these quotes, but possibly were just never seen. That is good enough of a reason if any. Additionally, I think this was Jeffrey Scott's way of trying to tell us that even though the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the "Captain N" episodes, they still literally have a place in Videoland. I still wish they were seen, though, that would have been awesome.

Looneytunes/Disneytoons

7. Radical-X

Radical-X Member

I'd like to see an Inch High Private Eye/Hong Kong Phooey crossover.

A Pink Panther/Anteater crossover.

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not the one you have to convince. It was Nintendo's decision to keep Mario out Captain N's adventures, not mine. I'm guessing they felt it was a billing thing; they must've only wanted Mario to be the star and not just one member of "the team".

9. cyde

cyde Active Member

Crossovers suck. Who needs tham?

10. Looneytunes

Looneytunes Active Member

You do have a point, but why would Nintendo want to keep the "Super Mario Bros." world out of Videoland, if Princess Lana replied with "Something like that. The legend foretold of your coming to help restore freedom to our world.", in response to Kevin asking, "You mean like Warp Zone 4 in "Super Mario Bros."? I think Nintendo wanted the "Super Mario Bros." universe to exist in Videoland, but they probably just did not want Mario to make Luigi and the gang to look bad. I don't know.

Additionally, some crossovers suck, but not all of them. Some could also be quite good, but unfortunately are not, but hey at least we have "the Flintstones to the Jetsons" to remember.

Looneytunes/Disneytoons

#170 Looneytunes, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  11. PF9

PF9 Member

Not to mention WB owns Marvel competitor DC Comics

12. thesmurfsfan

thesmurfsfan Member

Smurfs meets gummy bears (although they were produced by different companies (If Time Warner/Disney were have merged).

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

A Disney/Time Warner merger is about as likely to happen as DC and Marvel comics merging to become 1 über company, which is to say, very unlikely.

14. thesmurfsfan

thesmurfsfan Member

Actually that would be interesting

I Would love to still see a crossover of The Smurfs & Gummi Bears both set in Medieval times.

15. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

Can I mention more modern cartoons?

Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls
    Dee Dee + Bubbles = CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

16. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

Wacky Races + Birdman

I dont know it just sounds cool.

Mario Bros. + Sonic The Hedgehog

Bowser finds a pipe leading to Sonic's unverse then Robotnik and Bowser team-up.

Smurfs + Snorks

The Smurfs search for an underwater treasure and meet the Snorks

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This has already happened, if one counts the comics and the FusionFall manga.

There have already been 2 Mario/Sonic team-ups (3 if one counts Super Smash Bros. Brawl), but this admittedly sounds more intriguing than another Olympic sports themed title.

Robot Chicken already covered this. ;)

#177 Silverstar, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  18. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Okay, speaking of Disney owning Inspector Gadget. What if Inspector Gadget joined forces with Kim Possible to stop an alliance between Dr. Drakken and Doctor Claw, only to find Shego has taken over Doctor Claw's MAD organization.

(yeah, yeah, I'm tired, that's all I can think of right now)

19. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

That's a very good idea. And since Disney acquired Marvel, I could imagine Kim Possible joinning her forces with Nick Fury of SHIELD or other superheroes from Marvel depending with which Marvel vilain Dr. Drakken had teamed (Magneto, Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Mandarin,etc...).

Another interesting crossover would be Inspector Gadget with Bonkers, with a mix of the Lucky Piqwel and Miranda eras.

20. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

I'm thinking that Nick Fury absorbs Global Justice into SHIELD, recruits Kim, Ron Stoppable and Wade into the organization. That's after they recruit Kim's parents into a position in SHIELD's science and technology department.

Inspector Gadget on the other hand gets rebuilt with Stark's Iron Man technology, making him less bumbling and bringing a whole new meaning to the battle cry "Go Go Gadget!"

And, Shego joins Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, only to get her butt kicked by Polaris and Scarlet Witch, not to mention Quicksilver in the process, leading up to a battle between Team Go and the House of Magnus, not to mention Magneto's other lackeys and the X-Men in the process!

Spider-Man, Black Cat, Prowler, Rocket Racer, Punisher and Daredevil join forces with David Xanatos and the Manhattan Clan to take down the Kingpin, Green Goblin, Venom, Demona and the Sinister Six.

Fantastic Four versus the Incredibles, 'Nuff Said!

Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner, and Princess Ariel, the Little Mermaid: Enchantment under the sea, monkeys!

Avengers/Power Rangers: If they can make an animated movie where Earth Mightiest Heroes team up with every damn incarnation of Power Rangers (Mighty Morphin to RPM) to deal with the time villain Kang, who brings every known Marvel and Power Rangers villain to destroy the two teams, then I'm in, dawg!

X-Men/Disney Fairies: When En Sabah Nur, the being known as Apocalypse, sends his Horsemen to lay waste to the Pixie Village, Queen Clarion has no choice but to send Tinker Bell and Iridessa to the 616 Marvel Universe to meet Charles Xavier and the X-Men. The Merry Mutants, under the leadership of Wolverine, travel to the 818 Disney Universe to help the Disney Fairies take down Apocalypse and the Horsemen before their attacks spread to every Disney Universe sector (even the Wizards of Waverly Place and Halloweentown sectors would be affected, Alex Russo and Agatha Cromwell, watch your back)!

Let me stop before I go into a much darker place, please!

Kenny :sweat: