1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers that never happened---but should've

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by hobbyfan, May 5, 2009.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Can we just move back on point and stay away from fan-fic spec? Thank you. My brain hurts.

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

All this time, I didn't think of Dexter's Laff-A-Lympics.
    they did Dexter's Wacky Races, and seeing that one recently, it reminded me of the idea of a Laffalympics spoof (and I even thought of this thread before it was resurrected!)

This wouldn't necessarily be a crossover of Dexter with the classic HB stars, but like the Wacky Races spoof, use the new stars. Probably as a crossover of several of the CN shows (PPG, Bravo, Grim, Courage, etc).

Also, a new generation Laffalympics with the older stars (perhaps "graduated" to announcers, referees, etc) would be good as well.

3. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

As long as it's a "dark-lite", no problem ;)

However as a more fantasy crossover, since Disney owns actually Inspector Gadget, how about a crossover of KP with IG?

4. hobbyfan

Here's one. Even though they shared a 1 hour block in 1965, Atom Ant & Secret Squirrel never met---until a comic book story published by Archie in 1995 to mark the series' 30th anniversary.

Sticking with Atom, even though he's considered a funny animal (or in this case, insect) hero, it would've been pretty cool to see him team with some of H-B's other heroes. Only thing was, Atom & Secret were on NBC, and were replaced, IIRC, by Birdman & Young Samson in 1967. The other heroes were on CBS, and of course, the Fantastic Four, licensed from Marvel, were on ABC in '67.

But what if Atom were able to meet either Birdman or Samson? I know it can get convoluted, but.......!

5. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

It's not even as convoluted as you might think! My reasoning for this is the world of Hanna Barbera can be split into two zones:

The Funny Animal Hero Zone: A world based on the principle that many funny-animal heroes do exist (such as Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Hong Kong Phooey, The Skatebirds, Swat Kats, Road Rovers, Touche Turtle, Quick Draw McGraw, etc.). This world follows an idea that has existed since the 1950's til today, with its own idea of villainy to oppose the heroes. Then there's....

The Superhuman Hero Zone: This is a world based on the human (or humanoid) heroes and heroines (such as Shazzan and the Arabian Knights, Winsome Witch, Birdman, The Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Dino Boy, Jonny Quest, Young Samson, The Impossibles, etc.) exist, as they deal with more dangerous humans, elementals and monsters that they face every day.

And, barring network restrictions (the whole blasted ABC/NBC/CBS thing) at the time, they could cross over (Laff-A-Lympics and Wacky Races were examples of this, with the former a more plausible example and the latter a self contained universe). Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure and Space Stars pulled this off in some of their episodes (more like Space Ghost in his own five-part story in 1967, and the intermittent team-ups with the Herculoids and Teen Force in 1981-82.).

But now, with the advent of Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers Animation controlling everything, it is more possible than ever for many Hanna-Barbera characters to meet each other in their respective worlds. The same can be said for those characters from the Ruby-Spears, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, Rankin-Bass/Telepictures and Cartoon Network Studios worlds as well.

It could be a perfect world for the WB toon universe, but it would take someone with a love of that universe with the care and imagination to pull something like that off for real to make it happen, but it can be done.

Kenny E. McCall :cool:

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Dynomutt and Blue Falcon, along with Scooby and the other shows like that, would be more in an inbetween category; like a cross between Funny Animal, and Superhuman, in that it is basically normal humans, though in more serious situations, with villains not quite as dangerous as in the true superhero shows, yet with funny animal sidekicks. You could probably cal it the Human Sleuth zone. (BF is really more comedic; like a potential true superhero, who has unfortunately been "dragged down" into the position of a comedy team because of his goofy sidekick, and the villains from what I remember were basically comedic caricatures of villainy as well ("SuperThug", etc).

7. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I don't know if anyone put this down or not, I tried searching and didn't see anything. It would've been interesting if the Super Mario Bros. cartoon would've crossed over with The Legend Of Zelda cartoon.

8. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

It would have been very interesting if they did! It could be said if all of the Nintendo-related shows in the past 28 years - from the Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr. segments of Saturday Supercade, to the various shows like Captain N, Super Mario Bros, Zelda and even Kirby: Right Back at Ya! - could cross over into one big series!

9. Looneytunes

Looneytunes Active Member

They could have easily met in "Captain N: the Game Master", but unfortunately no Mario characters have ever been mentioned in that show, but I think a Mario and Zelda cartoon solely would have been much better.

Looneytunes/Disneytoons

10. hobbyfan

With Marvel now part of the Disney family, the only feasible crossover I could see happening down the line-----assuming Marvel can get the license back from the current holder---would be to have the Gargoyles introduced into the Marvel Universe. A number of possibilities exist, including the Gargoyles meeting the Fantastic Four or Avengers.

About the only way you're getting anything else out of a Disney-Marvel union, such as Mickey Mouse interacting with MU characters, would be if Marvel commissioned Mark Evanier to do for them something along the lines of the Superman-Bugs Bunny mini he did for DC a few years back.

11. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Marvel used to publish Gargoyles comics back in the 90's, I believe.

12. Christmas_Boy

Christmas_Boy Member

I want to see Mutley and Dastardly meet Mumbley and the Baron.

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This already happened in an issue of the Laff-A-Lympics comic book series. In the book, it was revealed that Dick and Dread were in fact, brothers.

14. Christmas_Boy

Christmas_Boy Member

What issue was that? I'll have to get that. I'd still like to see it in animation though.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It was the issue titled "No Laff-A-Lympics Today". Of course, this comic came out decades ago, and the Laff comics weren't in production for too long; finding a copy now won't be the easiest thing.

16. hobbyfan

Yes, it lasted exactly 1 year (12 monthly issues). Meant to be an ongoing series, I think, but it was abruptly cancelled. That was around the 1st season of the TV show, IIRC.

17. Christmas_Boy

Christmas_Boy Member

Wasn't this when Marvel was doing Didney comics on all of the films? I can't believe they couldn't make a success of comics based on the most popular animated films and characters of that time. Sad.

18. hobbyfan

Marvel did do adaptations of some, but not all, Disney films released during that brief period in the mid-90's. Then, Disney decided to move the license elsewhere, forming their own comic book company for a brief time. Now that they own Marvel, look for a fresh working agreement to bring more recent Disney titles under the Marvel banner.

19. Christmas_Boy

Christmas_Boy Member

Marvel did Littler Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, and Disney Afternoon as a series.and Lion King, Pocahontas, Toy Story, and Hunchback film adaptations. Then all of them were put under one banner series for almost a year. Collecteds never happened because Marvel claimed they weren't making money.

Disney owned their comic book company BEFORE the Marvel deal. They closed Gladstone to save money. Then was Marvel and a few other's like Dark Horse had them for a while and then Gemstone. Now Boom! I work for these people in the comic book industry, I know first hand what happened.

I too assumed Marvel would start doing Disney comics but Boom! is doing them and adding new titles so I don't think that's going to happen for a while. Disney only bought Marvel anyway to cease the frivolous lawsuits over the Fox animated series based on Marvel comics and the Pixar guys wanted them.

20. hobbyfan

Ok, thanks for clearing up the timeline. Last I knew, I believe it was Slave Labor and not Boom! Studios that was doing the Gargoyles' current book. I do know that, via a previous thread, that Boom! is bringing back Darkwing Duck, but, CB, do you know when the current contract between Disney & Boom! expires?