1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers that never happened---but should've

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by hobbyfan, May 5, 2009.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Back in the day, SatAM cartoons didn't have much in the way of continuity. Each series stood alone, with each episode a done-in-one, and few, if any, storylines that lasted more than 2 episodes. In essence, the idea was to keep things as simple as possible for the audience.

Hanna-Barbera experimented with the 6 "2nd season" episodes of Space Ghost that aired to start the 1967-8 season. All that did was establish to the audience the new series the studio was putting out to complement SG, which would remain in reruns for the rest of the season. A marketing tool was what it really amounted to, not much more.

Filmation adopted the cliffhanger-formatted serial system when Flash Gordon debuted on NBC around 1979 or 1980. Flash got a 2nd season, but it was back to more "traditional" episodic fare.

But what if you could do crossovers with characters already familiar with each other? The ignorance of studio and/or network heads prevented the uniting of ABC's 2 SatAM franchises in 1979, Super Friends & Scooby-Doo. 7 years earlier, Batman & Robin guest-starred in 2 episodes of the New Scooby-Doo Movies on CBS, which marked the end---at the time---of DC Comics characters appearing on CBS' SatAM lineup (the live-action Shazam! came along 2 years later), as ABC picked up the Super Friends for the 1973-4 season. ABC had contributed to this in a sense, with Superman & Wonder Woman appearing on Filmation/Paramount's Brady Kids, but with H-B now holding the license to the DCU characters....! (Of course, CBS & Filmation got around that with the New Adventures of Batman, beginning in February 1977.)

It's now 1979. Scooby moved to ABC himself in '76, and went straight into a team-up with his new pal, Dynomutt. Nephew Scrappy was about to be introduced, but what if the network decided to break the familiar Scooby format, and have Scooby meet Batman one more time, but this time with the rest of the SF?

Forget the faux ghosts & monsters that Scooby & Mystery Inc. were accustomed to fighting. They'd already met Joker & Penguin, but a real test of their crime-solving skills would actually move them into the big leagues, shall we say.

My idea was this: A gang of crooks frame first Batman & Robin, then Superman, Aquaman, & Wonder Woman for a series of crimes in Gotham City. Coincidentally, the Mystery Inc. team is passing through Gotham, and happen to see the faux Dynamic Duo leaving the scene of one job, though they don't realize this until they happen across the victim, a bank manager. Understandably confused, Fred offers to help the police, and after an inevitable, chance encounter with the phony heroes, Fred & Velma trap the Dynamic Duo.

As it happens, Scooby is able to clear Batman & Robin because he picked up the scent of the fakes and doesn't get a match when the Masked Manhunters are caught. Fred & Daphne apologize profusely. Having learned of their teammates being in a similar dilemma, Batman decides to bring the gang to the Hall of Justice. There, Mystery Inc. is really starstruck, meeting Superman & Wonder Woman in particular. Batman hatches a plan to capture the real thieves.

I'm going to leave it up to you to try to guess where this is going (and where the Wonder Twins play a role, if any).

#1 hobbyfan, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Hobbyfan, you're realling good at coming up with all these Scooby related ideas, this another good one you've come up with; as i've mentioned before in several other threads, I came up with a Scooby Doo fan fiction series a while ago with the following plot: Vincent Van Ghoul casts a spell or could cast a spell to give Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby(in a few cases) the power to transform into various animals and creatures/half human half animal creatures (Werewolves, Mermaids and Mermen for example), my stories would have the gang using their new powers to continue solving mysteries and crimes like they do now and to use their new powers to fight crime kind of like the Super Friends or the Justice League. In some stories in the series I am planning to have the superpowered Scooby and the gang team up with various super heroes(Like the ones you mentioned) and face various supervillains(Lex Luthor/The Riddler, etc..). This is an excellent idea and I may borrow it for my Scooby fan fic series when I continue with it or I may not.

3. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Interesting SF/Scooby scenario.... except that it seems as if the only superheroes in Scooby's world seem to be non-superpowered ones, particularly Batman and Robin plus the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt. Which in itself might be an interesting idea far as Batman's concerned----a world where *he's* the only (Blue Falcon aside) superhero, or where there's no superpowered superheroes at least. Plus, it'd probably thematically fit Scooby's usual semi-"realistic" setup (where ghosts, monsters, etc. aren't real) pretty well that the only superhero are ones like Batman.

On the other hand, in virtually every medium (stretching back to the radio days), it seems that wherever Batman goes, Superman eventually follows (or is referenced/inferred to exist), or vice-versa. Maybe a byproduct of fans asking "where's Batman/Superman?" when seeing one of the two, or being used after decades of "World's Finest" stories to seeing both heroes coexisting in the same world. Either rate, guess there's grounds to assume Superman could exist in Scooby's world. And of course, if Superman exists, then Flash, Green Lantern, and the rest of the JLA wouldn't be out of the question (especially in a world where in some Scooby versions monsters, magic and aliens *do* exist, plus the fact that some dogs can talk).

Hmm... playing off the latter remark, here's an interesting crossover: Scooby meets Krypto the Superdog and Ace the Bat-Hound. The short-lived Krypto cartoon was animated in a Hanna-Barbera styled manner, and Ace considers himself as the world's greatest canine detective---which might make meeting a fellow canine detective (albeit a cowardly one) interesting. As for Krypto, imagine the gang would be impressed by his superpowers (maybe to the point of making Scooby jealous?)...

-B.

4. hobbyfan

Consider that I had created this keeping in mind that this should've been developed 30 years ago, around the time Scrappy debuted.

As for your idea of having Van Ghoul empower Mystery Inc. as shapeshifters..............! I'll have to read your story @ fan-fiction.net and see if I can do something along those lines.

5. hobbyfan

The whole idea is that then, as now, Scooby and the Super Friends (Justice League) are under the same creative roof. ABC let an opportunity for a monumental cross-over between their two SatAM franchises go by the boards, 7 years after Scooby had first met Batman & Robin.

Had Krypto been more of a success than it was, maybe he, Ace, & Streaky meet Scooby in a DTV movie.

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

If HB had done somethign else with the Superfriends that first season, those episodes released three or more years later could have seen Scooby and the gang easily replace Wendy, Marvin & Wonder dog (who were probably knockoffs of scooby anyway). Then those episodes (which a lot of SF fans don't like) would seem more justified!

7. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

There was at the time a crossover between WB toons Daffy Duck and Porky Pig with Filmation's Groovies Ghoulies. I find it strange they didn't go a crossover between Skooby-doo and the Groovies Ghoulies or imagine a Skooby-doo crossover with Fat Albert (imagine Sammy eating a sandwitch when he watch an episode of the Brown Hornet)

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

That special was probably a pilot for ABC and Filmation's answer to the Scooby Doo Comedy Movies, where the Groovie goolies would meet different ABC or Filmation stars every week. But Scooby Doo was neither, so there was no chance of them being paired.

9. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

It would have been interesting to have captain caveman meet up with blue falcon and dynomutt (cap already crossed over with flintstones, and BF did a crossover with scooby doo). Some other crossovers i would have liked to see would be mightor and dino boy, and the galaxy trio somehow meeting up with the fantastic four (galaxy trio were obviously inspired by the FF IMO).

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Who's Sammy? Do you mean Shaggy?

[​IMG]

11. hobbyfan

No, the Porky/Daffy/Ghoulies x-over was a Saturday Superstar Movie, and IIRC it came out a year before Super Friends. Saturday Superstar Movie was an anthology series which H-B, Filmation, WB, and others contributed to.

12. hobbyfan

As long as Cavey was in the present time (1977 was his debut), a team-up with either Scooby or Dynomutt outside of Laff-A-Lympics would've made sense, but that's something else they didn't think of.

Seeing as how Galaxy Trio (the backup to Birdman) & the FF were on separate networks (NBC & ABC, respectively), a crossover wouldn't have been able to happen then. Since Marvel has since licensed the FF to other hands, it now will never take place.

13. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

Frankly, I'm glad they didn't have the Scooby gang encounter too many superheroes. Batman and Robin were more then enough, especially since they're not as superpowered as the other JL members. The two groups are mainly detectives and it was most proper to pair the Dynamic Duo with Mysteries Inc. Any other superheroes likely wouldn't have made a good mystery which would been pretty wrapped up much too early. I had actually seen The Brady Kids (WORST CARTOON EVER!!!), which indeed had Superman and Wonder Woman in guest roles and not even they were much help to this absolutely horrible series.

Scooby and Captain Caveman would have been a good idea, but they had already done crossovers with Josie and the Pussycats, Jeannie, and Speed Buggy over the course of The New Scooby-Doo Movies (1972-73). Unfortunately, Cavey debuted in 1977, and a crossover likely wouldn't have worked unless it was a one-hour episode like the Movies were (I know SD guest starred in a few eps of Dynomutt, but I think it might have worked out better if it were a one time, one-hour double crossover with each group guest starring on the other's show).

One thing I would have liked to see would be for all of Cavey's sidekicks to meet each other. Maybe they could had a time travelling villain whose time machine would have brought the Teen Angels back to the Stone Age where they'd meet Cavey along with Wilma and Betty in Bedrock (from the CC segments of The Flintstones Frolics series), and perhaps maybe the two Daily Granite reporters go forward in time to the modern day and help Cavey and the Angels defeat the villain before returning to Bedrock. A little far-fetched, I'll admit, but it would have been a good idea.

14. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

In the French dub of Scooby-doo, Shaggy was called Sammy. Sorry for the confusion :sweat:

15. hobbyfan

I used to watch the Brady Kids pretty regularly back in the day (as a 9 year old, what did I know?), but it jumped the shark with the cast changes in season 2. Wasn't that bad.

No way does that happen without Fred & Barney also being in the mix. OBTW, the Flintstone series where Cavey joined the cast was the Flintstone Funnies, IIRC.

16. hobbyfan

Ok, I'll finish the story.

The Super Friends turn themselves in at Gotham City PD. Not surprisingly, the real crooks, unaware of this development, have pulled another job not too far from GCPD. The replica Batmobile passes GCPD HQ, and Scooby, posing as a police dog, picks up a familiar scent. Shaggy & Daphne, in police uniforms, use a GCPD patrol car to give chase. Fred, also dressed as an officer, pulls out a walkie-talkie. Velma is waiting in the Mystery Machine. Cleared of all charges, Batman & Robin, Superman, & Wonder Woman join the chase from different angles, hoping to contain the thieves within the city limits.

Just before the city line, the ersatz Batmobile is cornered by the real one, plus the police cruiser and the Mystery Machine, with Superman & Wonder Woman floating above the borderline. The thieves try to make a run for it, by splitting up, but have nowhere to run.

The phony Batman is unmasked as Johnny Witts, an otherwise obscure foe of the Caped Crusaders, whose last comics appearance was in Super Friends earlier in '79. It was all about revenge on the Dynamic Duo for putting him away.

I left the Wonder Twins out of this one because, really, there was no room to fit them into this adventure, much as I would've liked to, but it would've watered things down, I think.

17. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Yeah, but that anthology series contained pilots for new shows, such as the Brady's, Lassie and Yogi's Ark. If The Groovie Goolies one had been better and created demand, it might have been considered as a series as well, and it would have probably been the Groovie Goolies meeting different stars every week. (Just think of that "Gool Bus" as a replacement for the Mystery Machine).

As for Dynomutt, I felt that had made too many Scooby's around that time, it it would have been a better use of the gang for them simply to be in all of the Dynomutt episodes the way they were in the three where they guest starred. Then, it wouldn't have been the same old thing, and there probably would have been no need for Scrappy.

I also imagined what it would have been like for Scooby to be paired with one other HB and CBS hero: Space Ghost! But that would have never worked, because SG is in space, while Scooby was always on earth (until a few of the Scooby & Scrappy shorts). SG-Josie would have worked, because the Josie In Outer Space series made that year was in some respects like the Superadventures. (Even used a lot of the same music).
    Scooby & Moby Dick with Tom & Tub might have worked, and now you would have two Scoobies with the same voice. However, the kind of villains would have still beeen different. Then there's Scooby and Birdman, but Birdman was NBC, and that might have been similar to just having Scooby and Batman.

18. hobbyfan

You're telling me something I already know. Superstar Movie spawned 3 spinoffs, with Brady Kids launching I believe the same day or the following week. Lasse's Rescue Rangers & Yogi's Gang came as part of the freshman class of '73. Sorry, but the Goolies wouldn't have been feasible in a ripoff of the Scooby movies.

The x-overs were to help acquaint the audience, accustomed to Scooby & Mystery Inc., with a new crime-solving mutt, even if he was a cyborg. Regrettably, after Laff-A-Lympics ended, Dyno wouldn't be seen again for more than 20 years before a guest shot on Dexter's Lab.

Space Ghost & Josie? Maybe. Even though Alex Toth did the designs for Josie in Outer Space, no one at H-B thought enough to revive Space Ghost or the Galaxy Trio for this series.

Scooby & Moby Dick? Uh, no. Moby predated Scooby-Doo by two years, and as I've written before, I think there might be licensing issues as it relates to Moby (Melville estate) that would preclude his being used again.

Kenny McCall, d'ya wanna jump in?

19. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Which is probably why it never came to be. But I'm sure that was the idea being tossed out. They get in a vehicle (did they even have that in the original series? I don't think they ever left the Hall), and travel to meet Hollywood celebrities. It seems so obvious, when you look at it in that light.

I know, but I still think Scooby was being worn out at that time (and the change of voice for Velma was a big blow, IMO), so it would have probably been better to just use them in all of Dynomutt's episodes, so you would still get the new star, and you would still have just as much Scooby.

20. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Says you---agree with the above poster that this might be my choice for "worst cartoon ever" as well. ;-) (Granted, I hate "The Brady Bunch" to begin with...).

Hmm...

I vaguely recall there being a CC segment episode where they fight "Futuro", a villain from the present day who traveled back to the Stone Age to do the "use my futuristic powers to rob a more primitive time-era blind" shtick we've seen in comics a zillion times. *Think* Betty, Wilma and Cap chase him back to what I assumed was 20th century Bedrock (depicted as an ordinary modern city), but not sure---last I saw this episode was in the mid-90s on Univision (dubbed in Spanish, and my SPanish skills aren't *that* fluid). Would like to see this episode again (and in English)...

The Capt. Caveman segments mentioned featured just Betty and Wilma in adventures with Cavey as reporters for "The Daily Granite", a newspaper in Bedrock (a parody of the "Daily Planet"). Cavey also worked for the paper in a secret identity as "Chester, the copy boy". The segments probably stand out as the only series where Wilma and Betty were made the main stars (Cavey aside) having adventures (their husbands don't appear at all in the segments IIRC), and also the first series showing them consistently working outside their homes in actual jobs, which might be even more significant IMO---given some original series episodes, or even the then-recent special "Wind-up Wilma" showing Fred resistant to the idea of Wilma having a job.

As for the show's name, it debuted as "The FLintstone Comedy Show" on its network run, then was renamed/edited into half-hour episodes as "The Flintstone Funnies." When aired in Europe, it got the name "Flintstone Frolics" instead (guessing "Funnies" is an Americanism?).

-B.