Crossover Concepts

Discussion in 'Story Board Workshops' started by King Cocopuff, Jan 27, 2006.

1. King Cocopuff

King Cocopuff Member

Here is something you should know. I am kinda obsessed with crossovers. Not as obsessed as some others mind you, but with enough fascination about what would happen that I might be put in the fringes of that category.

I've read a couple of crossovers out there. There are some I like but there is something missing in a lot of them that I want them to possess. Character interaction. Unfortunetly, most of the crossover fics I read have the two or more different parties rarely interact with eachother, even if they are within conversational distance from one another.

In my opinion, crossovers should have the two or more shows/books/videogames/etc.'s casts interact with bonding moments in the story. Not neccessarily romance. I am talking about friendship moments. If you are still confused here are a couple of examples I wrote when I brought this up elsewhere...

-

Suppose all four season characters of Digimon crossovered and met eachother. How they ended up together is not what I'm thinking. I'm pondering how would they react to each other? How would the Tamers react to the Adventure, if the latter is a Show in the Tamer's Universe? How would they interact? What friendships would be made and why?

For me, it would be interesting to see Takeru and Kouichi interact. The latter is kind and gentle, but holds the power of Darkness, and the former, while also friendly, doesn't like Darkness, which might cause conflicts between the two. The brothers of Takeru and Kouichi might need to settle the difference between the two and maybe settle Takeru's grudge against darkness.

It would be cool to see Koushiro and Jenrya interact as they are the so-called brains of their respective teams and might swap information about what both dealt with.

Izumi might make good friends with Miyako and Mimi as they share the common trait of speaking their mind and while the three take a liking to shopping and beauty, they all won't take bite from pushovers and retaliate.

And speaking of Miyako, she could admire Ruki's toughnesss and strong personality, though it would be hard for me to figure how the latter would react to the former.

What do you think would happen?

-

and...

-

What would happen if Rurouni Kenshin crossed over with the [Digimon] Adventure universe?

The Kenshin gang would obviously be shocked about seeing the Present day surroundings. It they met the Chosen and saw their Digimon, they'd be obviously more shocked about the latter and it'd take sometime when the Digimon act friendly for them to warm up to the creatures. In fact, in my head, I'm picturing an amusing scene where Ayame and Suzume see Wormmon and are immediately frightened of him due to his arthropodic lineage. Wormmon would pout on the reaction and the girls would see this and reverse this decision and say he is cute, making the Digimon blush.

I could see Jyou, Megumi, and Dr. Gensai conversing about Meiji era and present day medicine.

I could see Mimi touring Misao, Kaoru, and Megumi through the aspects of 21st century fashion.

I could see bonding moments between Kaoru, Yahiko, and Kenshin with Iori as he relates what was going to happen from the Meiji era onward (Kenshin won't be pleased when they reach the World War II part) and shows them his kendo skills.

I could see a few comical moments of Sanosuke trying to work conventional technology.

I don't see much conflict going on between the two groups as they interacted. Really, when they see they are all good guys they'd form an alliance to battle whatever enemy they face.

-

That's what I'm thinking about. Friendship moments between two or more characters from different stories. It's facinating how (Character A) from (Insert Show Name Here) would interact with (Character B) from (Insert Show Name Here). Here's another example...

Suppose Law & Order SVU crossovered with...um, I don't know, Dragon Tales...you are all staring at the your computer screen in disbelief, aren't you? Anyway, what would there reaction of the former to the Dragon's presence? What situations would occur? What would happen if they had to join forces to face a common foe? What chemistry (friendships) would work and what won't?

That's my thinking. Also, a crossover should have a good excuse of how they met with each other. In my opinion I'd advise using the multiverse concept. Unless it is flately stated that these certein shows exist in the same universe (Kim Possible, The Proud Family, Lilo & Stitch, Recess and American Dragon: Jake Long are an example), I'd advise using that as that would create the least plot holes or continuity errors. And there should be a good plot. There should always be a good plot.

Anyway that's my thought on this. Tell me your opinion of crossovers and post your own crossover ideas and what interactions would happen between the crossovering shows' casts.

2. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Aaaand this belongs in the Workshop.

Personally, I like crossovers, in concept. I'd love to see what would result if, say, Samurai Jack wound up in the JL universe, or if Sephiroth wound up wandering Vana'diel, however, crossovers are a very, very tricky subject. Just like mixing two potent, volitle chemicals, it has to be handled just right, or else it'll blow up in your face.

3. Wild Goose

Wild Goose The Accidental Apprentice

It's like what one of my friends said, mix deuterium and tritium together, and you get a hydrogen bomb. ^__^

Crossovers, if done well, would be great. I can think of a number of series that could crossover well; Full Metal Panic, You're Under Arrest, just to name two. *shrugs*

Because of its sheer mind-numbing horror, Silent Hill should NEVER be crossed over with anything. Because Pyramid Head will pwn all. :p

4. EvilHomerX

EvilHomerX New Member

I like Crossovers. Personally I'm going through this whole V For Vendetta thing right now. I have a couple crossover concepts in mine. Right now I am writing a Devil May Cry V cross over. I've written the first few chaps. I might post it one day.

My other concepts would be

V for Vendetta/Blade
    " "/Batman Beyond

and what not. I just need to get the V stuff out of my system.

5. OrbotsCommander

OrbotsCommander Orbots Commander

I love crossovers, too. I have written several, and I am still writing them. Almost anything can crossover: One of mine is called Throttle of Themyscia, and tells about what would happen if Throttle (Biker Mice from Mars) ended up 3000 years ago, and the only way to get back to the present was the live on Paradise Island until he was "born" in the correct timeline.

I just choose two or more shows/books/movies/etc. --regardless of genre-- and just run with it. You never know just what will work out...

6. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

I like them as long as they make sense. The mass majority doesn't match up though; the ones I've seen anyway.

Bad crossover: Sonic the Hedgehog/Metal Gear Solid. Yes, people, there's an actual fic of said crossover. I haven't read it but judging by the summary...but hey, if you can make it work, more power. Otherwise...:sweat:

I would think of a good example, but not at the moment, as I am bonked out of my mind.

7. nld200xyz

nld200xyz Member

Here's a crossover that surprisingly worked out very well. Right now, read the ff.net/mm.org fic called "The Ultimate Cruise". It's the ultimate One Piece/Tenn Titans crossover in which, for the first time in an on-going fic, the characters stay in-character all the way through and actually works out. That's a surprise, seeing as pirates and super heroes really wouldn't be expected to go well together. Anyway, yeah, crossovers are my favorite.

8. Burdette25159

Burdette25159 Member

Here are my two ideas for a crossover:

Crossover #1: American Dragon jake Long Meets Bonkers.

Plot: Jake Long is at his usual tricks when The Huntsman kidnapps Jake's Little sister Haley, sending Jake to the scene of the crime but while he rescues Haley from Huntsman's clutches, The Huntsman not only tempoary strips Jake of his powers but sends Jake Long to Hollywood Ca. 1994 where he is unwillingly assigned a case which according to Haley Long's research of the case is unsolved: the murder of a cartoon star and most of his family (Except the teen sister who is adopted by Lucky Piquel) Now Jake, bonkers and Lucky must work together to rewrite history. Will Jake get the chance to return home? Will the case be solved. Will Lucky stay sane!

Crossover 2: Rumble in Bromwell High

Plot: When the forth grade boys from South Park mistakenly sends a e-mail which is intended to put the North Park boys to war with South Park to Kiesha's Inbox, Kiesha, Latrina and Natella challenges the south park gang to a brawl in south London.

9. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Dudes, I absolutely LOVE crossovers. My favorite one so far is the Teen Titans/Danny Phantom crossover in the World's Finest Writer's Corner Forum. Now, that story definately has some "character interaction" going on with it, and really good with that too.

My favorite crossovers on tv are the Jimmy/Timmy Power Hour movies on Nickelodeon.

Right now I'm thinking of doing a Teen Titans/Code Lyoko crossover called Virtual Realm, as you can see in my signature. Unfortunately, I won't be able to start writing it on Toon Zone until the 4th season of Code Lyoko comes out 'cause that's when the crossover will take place. (I need in-depth detail of CL season 4 in order to write my story, so to get it, I have to watch it).

10. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

Hmm...

I suppose a Metal Gear Solid / Resident Evil 4 crossover wouldn't hurt. It's been a while since I wrote a fanfic.

I'm thinking about the Las Plagas somehow survived and made a host, and mutates into a airborne virus, and it infects a storage facility were a new Gear is made and the whole base. It's been on my mind a lot. :sweat:

11. Tenka Musou

Tenka Musou Carnivorous Vulgaris

I've read a small portion of decent crossovers, but most of them are just so... out there, like having Naruto characters in high school and attending, let's say just for comic effect, Acme Looniversity. Now, if it was a crack piece, it could work, but the saddest part is when people try and make things so emotional and such -- it works for some combinations, not all.

The most absurd piece I've ever read, and was a crossover, was Inuyasha and Recess (remember that 90s Disney show on ABC One Saturday Morning?). The plot was, basically, Kagome and the Inuyasha gang are sucked into a portal, taking Naraku with them as well, and wind up in the Recess world. Here's a few things that occur:

- Sesshomaru becomes a teacher; No problem here, he just becomes a teacher of Literature, no one seems to acknowledge that he's not like the others.
    - Naraku becomes a nicotine addict, dresses in all black and listens to Fall Out Boy. The funniest scene (and I say this with tears in my eyes) was when he wanted to ask Spenelli to some Spring dance.
    - Inuyasha steals T.J.'s hat, and becomes a superb rock thrower.
    - Miroku becomes envious that Naraku asked Spenelli to the dance, so he challenges Naraku to a jump-rope contest for her hand, all the while Spenelli is crying with tears in her eyes at the "danger" facing the two men she loves.

As you can see, if done right. Cool. If not, hand me a pistol.

12. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Well, the crossover is a Transformers/Winx Club crossover; I'm still coming up with a story but I did come up with certain ideas like Starscream taking Bloom's dragonfire and kills Megatron with it, basically it was all because The Trix (Icy, Stormy and Darcy) convinced him to do it, they knew that all that Starscream desires is he wants to be leader of the Decepticons and they told him if he took the dragonfire he'll have the ability to overthrow Megatron but right now, I'm working on the characters especially how would the Winx Club characters react to the thought of giant alien robots especially when either Optimus Prime or Bumblebee transform right in front of them.

13. Xerroo

Xerroo Megas Fan

If you are gonna do a crossover. It should be done in a way where one show meets some of the characters of another show. And that they don't get to involved with each other. That's how I think it should go.

14. ldude893

ldude893 Guest

Ultimate Crossover

Many people, amature or professional, though of two of three cartoons interacting together, helping each others defeat their enemies, solving their problems, or just living with each other. That's great, but ever though of something besides that?
    Did you ever watch 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'. Its a giant cartoon crossover, a bit dark, but with many toons around. It was one of the greatest cartoon crossovers and live-action/animated movies. So here's a question to think about:

Why not another one?

Why not another gigantic cartoon crossover that involves tons of toons? Why not a crossover with the best and greatest of the history of cartoons, and the most memorable, famous, and funniest ones? Why not imagine a crossover with almost every toon you know in it?
    Think about it. Its been 20 years since 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' was made. Since then, no film was like that ever since. Most crossovers now involve cartoons in the same company ('Looney Tunes: Back in Action' film and 'Mickey's House of Mouse' TV series.) and/or just two or three cartoons ('Lilo and Stitch' the series). Now, its about time another Ultimate Crossover should be made. The film was released in a time when Looney Tunes, MGM and Disney characters charmed the world. Now, although some faded, they're still around, but new legendary cartoons popped out after 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', including Justice League, Lion King, Animaniacs and, how can we forget, The Simpsons.
    It is time for another gigantic crossover, a crossover with everyone in it, cartoons old and new, popular and faded, Funny and nasty, smart talking animals and yellow four-fingered humans, sweet little kitties and paper-like cursing kids.
    It is time for someone to make a ultimate crossover, we don't know who, but someone. It could be a lot of cartoon companies in a huge partnership, it could be someone good at drawing popular cartoons, it could be someone from MAD,
    it could be you.

Note: It could be me, too, but who knows?

15. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

The ultimate crossover would be.....all cartoon characters starring in a big movie.

16. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Whoa, that would pretty awesome. But how will the characters interact with each other? Will there be humans? Will all the studios agree? Would Spongeb ob be in it? Would Bob Spongee have a cameo? :confused:

17. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Here is the thing about crossovers and the like

It takes a skilled writer to do them. Taking characters from one universe and writing about them is tricky enough. Adding for two universes is real tricky, especially when figuring out how each character should interact with one another. Doing a whole bunch of different shows shouldn't be done unless you pretty much know what you're doing and know the shows well. Otherwise, you'll end up with one really big fanwank: a story where no one gets enough screen time and they're all 2d cut outs. The excessive mass will just cause it to implode on itself.

18. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

I wonder if a Skooby-doo crossover with Fat Albert could work?

I would wish for a OAV/tv series crossover of Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, DBZ although it was done for videogame series like Battle Stadium DON and Jump Superstars. But the ultimate crossover in videogames is Super Robot Taisen/Super Robot Wars who reunite various mecha animes (Mazinger, Getter Robot, various Gundam series, Evangelion, Nadesico, Raphexion, Voltron, etc....) and this one is more harder to wish, an animated crossover of Marvel vs DC comics.

I'd like to see a FOP crossover with Kappa Mikey and/or Wayside.

19. Jackson54

Jackson54 ^I'm with stupid^

I toyed around with your idea. Here's my concept:

Long time ago, toons suddely became real, and spread all over the world. Most of the well known toons, like The Simpsons and Mickey Mouse reside in 'Toon City', a huge area where toons reside near northern california, and made up of places in each cartoons.

Also, the crossover should be animated/live action, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, except less dark and kids should be the leading roles.

Just some ideas.

20. Atoragon

Atoragon *random sound effects*

I believe the major problem with crossovers is how the authors choose two shows/books/whatever to crossover, but they can't formulate a story that would make it WORK. Most crossovers out there (I'm not naming names) just don't work because they can't get the storylines to mesh. If you can get the two concepts to mesh, then hell, go for it.

Sometimes making it mesh is the hardest part and the solutions won't be so apparent. For example, it's not apparent from the title, by my fic "Chronicles of the Empire" actually contains elements from Galaxy Angel, Godzilla, Yu-Gi-Oh, Teen Titans, Danny Phantom, Ace Combat and probably some more I can't recall off the top of my head. You'd think it would be utter chaos, but not quite because of how I brought the separate elements together through the use the Empire.

So if you're gonna write a crossover, I don't care what you crossover, just as long as it works.