1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Criminal Minds" Season Six Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Sep 29, 2010.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

So Criminal Minds isn't a show I really enjoy discussing on a weekly basis even though I still watch it, but watching the "J.J." episode which is the final one for A.J. Cook and her character, I felt like we needed one. Discuss that episode and the season here.

Tonight was the second episode of the new season with the conclusion to the season five finale, "The Longest Night" airing last week.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    "J.J."
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on CBS
    While JJ attempts to reunite a family whose daughter has mysteriously disappeared, her BAU family braces for the loss of one of their own.

Season One talkback
    Season Five talkback

CBS.com - Criminal Minds

2. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

I swear, the writers seemed to take any shot they could possibly take at the decision to fire A.J. Cook. All the digs at the "Executive Branch" easily translated.

3. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

"The brass is really, really good at taking power away. It makes them feel like they're in charge."

Bah, I really hate that J.J. is leaving, but I'm glad the writers made it clear that it wasn't her [AJ Cook's] choice to go.

"Don't they understand that we're a family? That's why this works; that we're a family? Do they even care?" No, Garcia, CBS doesn't care that JJ is necessary to the cast to make Criminal Minds work. Sorry.

That was a classy exit, I will say, though.

/totally cried, not gonna lie

4. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I didn't expect this episode to get to me as much as it did. I was never happy about the show dumping J.J. and A.J. Cook, but I didn't think there would be an ending montage and voiceover that would make me want to cry.

Last season, I expressed my concern that at least for me the show as becoming too dark and was losing its focus on the actual characters, but this episode was great. Saying good-bye to J.J. reminded me that I still care about these characters even though I feel the team and their relationships have been de-emphasized recently.

All the comments about J.J. leaving both by her and the team fit perfectly in both the show universe and what I would think the real people are feeling. I still don't know if this cost-cutting has something to do with the spin-off, but I think the team really needs J.J. Even though Hotch declared they weren't going to replace her, I swear I read something the other day that the show might replace her at least on a recurring basis. I don't have the source, but I swear I'm not making it up.

"I'm thankful for my years spent with this family. For everything we shared, every chance we had to grow. I'll take the best of them with me and lead by their example wherever I go. A friend told me to be honest with you, so here it goes. This isn't what I want, but I'll take the high road. Maybe it's because I look at everything as a lesson or because I don't want to walk around angry. Or maybe it's because I finally understand, there are things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, but have to learn. And people we can't live without, but have to let go."

5. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Compromising Positions"

"Oh, I miss you, J.J."

I suppose it could have been another swipe at the decision to drop A.J. Cook, but this episode clearly showed J.J. is a needed part of the show. Garcia was going crazy trying to do both. Perhaps Garcia working from the BAU and "coordinating" with the team will be shown to work. If there is a new media liaison, there isn't a reason that would be acceptable to me that doesn't just bring J.J. back.

On a side note, the removal of Cook prompted a freshening up of the opening which was sorely needed (shame it took something so negative to do it).

The rest of the episode returned to the almost pitch black darkness I have come to expect from the last two seasons. I watch CBS all night on Wednesdays and this show makes an odd volume to the bookends that are Survivor and The Defenders.

6. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

I actually thought this was one of the better episodes lately because the focus went back to the BAU characters more than the criminals, which has been my biggest complaint from the last few seasons. The scene with Morgan and Garcia when he tosses her contacts was especially wonderful. The subject material was dark, but because the focus was where it should be, the episode worked for me.

Oh, and Hotch showing appreciation for one of his team members always makes an episode for me, so I was pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

7. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Safe Haven"

I wish stuff would quit coming up that I feel compelled to post a comment on, because I really don't have a weekly "talk back" interest in this show, but I had to post something when I looked on IMDb and found that Jeremy, actor Sterling Beaumon was also young Ben Linus from Lost! I can see it now, but I didn't recognize him!

8. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

"Reflection of Desire"

OK, this latest episode was one of the creepier, more gruesome episodes in awhile. There was only one death which is a pretty low body count for this show, but what went down... yikes.

The ending completely caught me off-guard. Looking back it makes a lot of sense, but I didn't see it coming. Ugh, another Norman Bates.

Yay for Garcia acting and the rest of the BAU going to see her play at the end, though. That was a nice touch.

9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

I felt like I should have seen it too, but I was so shocked when Rhett (good name for a guy obsessed with old movies) was carrying his mother out and... yeah. :shrug:

I was actually kind of excited about this episode because actor Robert Knepper is such an awesome bad guy. He did do a great job in his evilness. If I had quit this show like I talk about, I would have tuned in this week for him. I watched the episode of Chase he was on a few weeks ago.

10. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

6.16 "Coda"

After the last couple of episodes, I really, really enjoyed this one. The last few haven't been bad per se, but falling back into that rut of getting away from the BAU characters and the effects the cases have on them that made it so engaging originally. I loved the opening and closing montages of each BAU member, particularly Hotch with his son and Garcia interrupting Morgan with popcorn at the end.

It was great seeing Reid connect with Sammy and decode the message (via the music) he was trying to get across; the scene when Sammy grabs his hand and puts it onto the keys and shows him what to play was wonderful. I loved that the ending montage had Reid headed home with a newly purchased keyboard, too.

Also, the song Sammy was playing was gorgeous. According to the Criminal Minds Fanatic blog, it was "Brother" by Road Hawgs, which I'd never heard of but fell in love with over the course of the episode.

And it looks like Emily's story is going to take a personal turn next week.[xspoiler=Does news from the summer count as a spoiler?]I hate that Paget is having to leave the show, but it looks like they're sending her out with a good story. I'll be curious to see whether they kill her off or she leaves because she's putting the rest of the team in danger with her past... or something else completely different. Gideon, Elle, and J.J. weren't killed off when they left the show so I'm hoping Emily's not either.[/xspoiler]

11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Coda"

"Tomorrow you promise yourself will be different, yet tomorrow is too often a repetition of today." – James T. McCay

I too really liked this episode with the connection that Reid was able to make with Sammy (plus Rossi).

It's good and I don't dislike it, but all this stuff with Emily feels like it is coming out of nowhere. Perhaps a bit in retrospect, but outside of adjusting to being on the team, I've never felt like she was at all disconnected from the group or hiding some big secret. I guess I look forward to learning more as the rest of this story unfolds.

[xspoiler=How about newer news that may say where this story is going?]I read on TVLine a few weeks ago that the show recently asked her to return for the season seven, but she is allowed to keep her options open and it will depend on what those "options" present. Read it for yourself (including news on the status of other cast members) here.[/xspoiler]

12. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Lauren" March 16, 2011

This thread was started after the final episode with J.J. as a regular cast member, so it seems only right that we bring it up "properly" for the last time we see Paget Brewster's Emily Prentiss as a series regular. New episode tonight at 9 p.m. ET on CBS.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    "Lauren"
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on CBS
    Prentiss is ready to confront her nemesis, Ian Doyle, once and for all. Meanwhile, the BAU calls upon JJ to help them find Prentiss and capture Doyle before it's too late.

14. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Matthew Gray Gubler did a great job directing this episode; there was a lot going on and he nailed it. It was great seeing J.J. again, too.

I was totally not expecting the twist of Emily being involved with Ian's son, then the audience being led to think she had killed him, only to have it that she made it look like he died before hiding him from Ian's life. Wow.

And I'll admit, I cried when J.J. said Emily never made it off the table, even knowing they had written her exit so she could return if Paget wanted to in the fall... Still, the funeral scene broke my heart.

I'll also admit to being startled by J.J.'s secret keeping about Emily's fate, though I wonder if she told Hotch the truth in that silent moment behind the doors... Hm. I can't help but think back to Elle's shooting and the fallout back in season 1/2 and how that left the team reeling. Seeing how they deal with this, like back then, is going to be interesting.

15. Wounded_Dragon

They managed to really make me feel for Seaver, so good job there.

16. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Lauren"

“The secret to getting away with lying is believing with all your heart. That goes for lying to yourself even more so than lying to another.” – Author Elizabeth Bear

This was a great team-focused and driven episode. It’s episodes like this that make me wonder how I could ever consider giving up on this show.

It’s hard for me to imagine Minds without Emily Prentiss. Whether it was that character or how much I like Emily, I don’t miss Elle Greenaway at all. I’m not even sure that I liked her all that much. I am really going to miss Emily though. Some articles I’ve read say that Paget Brewster made Emily a better character than she had any right to be based on the writing and that rings pretty true for me.

After the brief moment where it seemed like Emily had killed Declan, it was such a relief to find out she had fake his and his nanny’s death. Her role was not substantial, but I liked seeing J.J. again and her new connections helped things along, and apparently gave Emily a new identity/new mission. The funeral was still really hard though. I wondered if the news on Paget being able to return was wrong.

Psychoanalyst Walter Langer wrote, “People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one. And if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.”

I thought the same thing. First time I've really cared about her.

17. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Just wanted to share that:

JJ will be back next season:
    Yay!

18. Wounded_Dragon

*snicker* All that cost cutting to make room for Suspect Behavior and it's possible the main show will have the same cast size or larger than before the spin-off.

19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

I'm excited J.J. is on her way back. I don't want to wish for Paget Brewster's pilot to not get picked up, but I would love to have Emily back too.

Based on how the last couple of episodes have gone, I really hope Hotch doesn't know Emily is alive. I just don't like the idea of him fully lying to the team, which is what he would be doing.

Maybe the vagueness of how Suspect Behavior is different just means they never had to deal with Erin Strauss? :p

I discover something kind of funny the other day, Ian Doyle, actor Timothy V. Murphy is the filthy rich guy in the DIRECTV ads. He's not quite as a evil there. ;)

20. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Supply & Demand" Season Finale May 18, 2011

Tonight is the sixth season finale of Criminal Minds at 9 p.m. ET on CBS. It was fully confirmed as renewed today at the CBS upfront and will continue in its same time slot.

The spin-off, Suspect Behavior, has been cancelled and airs its finale next week.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    "Supply & Demand" - Season Finale
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on CBS
    The bodies of two missing persons are found in a car trunk, and the BAU suspects that an interstate human trafficking ring is at work. Also, Hotch warns the team of possible changes.