1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Bartlett Hints More Hey Arnold On The Way If His New Show Does Well

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by CartoonFreak95, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CartoonFreak95

http://apocalypstick.com/interview-hey-arnolds-craig-bartlett/[​IMG]

Now I know that the idea of bringing back a classic Nicktoon here is mixed, but according to an interview with the man himself, Craig intends to resurrect the Arnold legacy to finish it off if his new show and revived relationship with Nickelodeon goes well.

I think this sounds like a pretty good opportunity. Craig has talked about the possibility of autotuning some of the voices of the male kids if it gets made, but according to him, the female kids remain the same voice as they did pre-cancellation.

I guess this means Hey Arnold will join SpongeBob, Rugrats (Although that's a lesser known story as the time it was cancelled was brief and it got picked up for another season at the very last minute after the Passover special aired in 1995), The Fairly Odd Parents, Invader Zim (If the 2006 leftover episodes count) and Avatar in Nicktoons that were cancelled and resurrected.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Avatar didn't get canceled, it ended. There's a difference.
    And when did Invader Zim get resurrected?

3. CartoonFreak95

That's true. It got resurrected briefly on Nicktoons in 2006 if airing unaired episodes counts as a revival though.

4. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

Butch Hartman said the same some months ago, that watching TUFF Puppy would bring Danny Phantom back. That's a way of making more people watch their current show, I wouldn't believe Nickelodeon has any plans about Hey Arnold

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It doesn't. A TV show revival by all definitions means a series that was defintely cancelled or ended and entirely stopped production for a period, and was then picked up for at least a special, or revival of new episodes. That's technically when talking about Nicktoons only happened to Spongebob, Rugrats and Fairly Oddparents. And with Rugrats and Spongebob, they either made specials or very slowly aired the remaining episodes of the season over a period of time to cover until the show could come back with new episodes. With FOP there was a two year period without any new episodes (besides a special hinting the series was coming back) but yeah, that was two year, not the even if we want to count the slow burn of Hey Arnold's last season of episodes, decade for this series.

Now to be fair Hey Arnold was a pretty big series for Nickelodeon (if it wasn't it wouldn't of lasted a 100 episodes and had it's own movie) and perhaps with the success the N had with 90's Are All That, Nick is thinking of actually trying to bring some of it's own nostalgia back to the network to get some ratings. And if the creator is all for bringing it back and bringing back the original cast, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it. Still, I also don't see this really catching on. Even if it's somehow in the contract that if this new Craig Barlett show does well on Nick he can bring back HA, that show would still have to do well first and that's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Especially for the "if you're not Spongebob and maybe FOP we really don't care that much about you and won't really show you on our network unless it's new episodes or one or two weekened spots" Nickelodeon right now. Also shows that were popular in the past trying to come back on Nick don't have the greatest track record. Planet Sheen didn't do anything on regular Nick, and if it weren't for the still massive fan following buying merch and giving the show such a big presence at conventions and ATLA's legacy, Korra wouldn't of had that four season deal. Not to mention Barlett doesn't have the super track record of Hartman when it comes to various shows, and Butch's promises didn't do much for TUFF Puppy or Danny Phantom. Still in hopes of seeing HA again (as though I had problems with it was still a solid show and worth checking out again) I do hope this does gain some traction. Since hey it has to be better giving this a chance then just depending over and over again on Spongebob right... at least in terms of quality anyway.

6. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

well, first we have to wait and see how good his new show is going to be

it is that dinosaur thing, right?

any info on that one?

7. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

I thought his new show was the one about the rat and the pigeons.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

No. Sky Rat is Craig Bartlett's new show. You may be thinking about Dinosaur Train, which airs on PBS Kids in the U.S. and has been on since 2009.

9. slicknickshady

I think Rugrats should be brought back. But that will likely never happen. But if HA get's brought back eventually...who knows.

I guess Rugrats would be complicated since they made All Grown Up but you can still have AGU be Canon.

10. Goldstar Neo

At this point, a Rugrats revival would most likely be a reboot rather than a continuation, but it would have to be animated by a different studio, since Klasky-Csupo isn't in the business of making animated series anymore.

Anyway, it's much too early to be talking about other old Nicktoons being revived in the wake of a Hey, Arnold! revival. The HA revival is itself still only speculation. That's a long way from it being a thing that's confirmed to actually happen. Like someone said earlier, There was the belief that Danny Phantom was going to be revived if enough people watched T.U.F.F. Puppy, but that didn't happen.

11. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

That was more of a desperate plea to watch one of Hartman's shows, a guy who's been with Nick for nearly a decade. We haven't even gotten as much as concept art from this new show. I think this guy is making promises WAY too soon.
    I honestly could live without HA coming back and the world today REALLY doesn't need it either. This show never had kids playing with tablets, iPhones, video games or any of the stuff this generation is playing with now. HA was very much a 90s-centric show, I don't know HOW this guy plans to bring it without making it up-to-date. I don't care whether the original voice actors come back or not and I'm sick of that phrase being slung around for cartoon revivals, as if everything is going to be the same. As we've seen with Teen Titans Go and that PPG special, having the old voice actors doesn't mean ANYTHING if the entire atmosphere and theme of the show is altered. If he's REALLY intent on bringing back the Football Head, he'd better invest in releasing it online or something because I don't feel that today's kids will 'get it' and I DO NOT want to see Arnold and the gang twiddling their thumbs on cell phones instead of playing a baseball game at Gerald Field.

12. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah. I heard that Danny was suppose to make a crossover appearance in the FOP episode "Poltergeeks", but Nick told him no.

13. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I dont think the kids are gonna need to have tablets, cell phones or any of the the technological doo daas so that todays generation is gonna connect with them, for example we barely see kick from kick butowski or any character for that matter use a computer or own a tablet, Awog and Rs tech range form late 80s to early 2000s, and Sanjay and Criag still has arcades for gods sake so yeah it doesn't matter what kind of technology the cast has as long as the characters are well rounded kids won't give a crap if they have tablets or boomboxes

14. CartoonFreak95

They did make a comeback and Arlene Klasky stated in a 2012 interview that she would bring it back if asked and states numerous times that she would love the show to come back (Under her "Splaat" Facebook page). Rugrats did come back before but was cancelled again in a similar scenario to Family Guy in which it was cancelled twice, only Family Guy was uncancelled twice and Rugrats was uncancelled once. New Rugrats episodes may do well seeing as the show has won some popularity back but I'm holding my breath on that one and this is coming from a die hard Rugrats fan.

That's true. Craig's revived relationship with Nickelodeon did come from the Hey Arnold fans sending legions of letters though.

15. Goldstar Neo

I hate to repeat myself, but a bunch of adults chatting up a show on Facebook won't bring said show back into production, and it doesn't matter if adults want to see it come back because Nickelodeon doesn't program for adults. Today's kids would have to express an interest in seeing new episodes of Rugrats in order for Nick to consider renewing it.

I remember when Rugrats was renewed. That was back in 1996, only 2 years after the series ended initially. Klasky-Csupo was still making animated series at the time and Nick decided to renew the show because of the high ratings that Rugrats received when it was being run on weekday afternoons on the network, but that was a long time ago. Rugrats has long since passed being in any way relevant.

Admittedly, however, my opinion isn't exactly an unbiased one, since I didn't like the old Rugrats and have no desire to see a new one.

#15 Goldstar Neo, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  16. CartoonFreak95

I never said that would make the show come back, I just said Arlene would as to dispute the Klasky Csupo studio being closed rumor (Which was debunked in 2012). Although I have seen Nickelodeon hint that they're interested in it, but reviving a show comes down to how well the show does ratings wise and it's unlikely that it could come back.

What I mean by that is for a while from what I've seen, the show faded into obscurity long after it was cancelled (mostly because people were sick and tired of it and SpongeBob was popular. SpongeBob still is popular despite the hate of the new episodes but Rugrats is a little more popular than it was back then) but seems to have gained an internet popularity in recent years thanks to nostalgia, enough to get referenced in shows like Workaholics. However this "internet popularity" is mostly among older teens and adults who grew up on the show and were reintroduced to it because of the 2011 reruns on Nickelodeon and The '90s Are All That (At least I was). It's not as popular as it once was, but seems to be more popular than it was than let's say, 2008 where the show faded into obscurity for the most part.

It was renewed in 1995 (I think?), shortly after the Passover special because of the reruns doing well and it was the first show to be renewed after 65 episodes. Admittedly the episodes after that are mixed between fans (I prefer the Paul Germain era myself to the later ones).

Anyway, I see your points and agree with them (Although I love Rugrats). I think we'll have to see where this goes from here.

17. Goldstar Neo

Most of the casts and crews of both Rugrats and Hey, Arnold! have moved on to other things, so the shows wouldn't be as good as they once were even if they were to be revived. Quite frankly, I wish that fans would stop trying to bring back the past and learn to appreciate the present and look forward to the future instead of trying to revive canceled/ended TV shows through online petitions, Facebook, Kickstarter or whatever. Sometimes, I just think that it's best to just let shows end. I say leave it alone and enjoy what we had.

18. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Amen, right now, I'm much more interested in the man's Sky Rat project

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I do like Hey Arnold, I don't really know how it could work out if it did get revived. There would be more changes to make it fit with current technology, but that wouldn't really fit with the series' tone either. Plus, I don't see how he could try to get the original voice cast back or if that would be so much of a appeal for those who watched the series before. Besides all that, it's way too soon to throw a hint like this and all it will do will get fans' hopes up way too high. Honestly, I'd be fine with just a direct to DVD movie of Arnold and his friends finding his parents rather than a new series.

20. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Please don't do it, Craig - You'll never win. Hey Arnold ended when it did and I'd rather that this new show of yours, I don't know - try to be as good, if not better than your "magnum opus", if you will... Though knowing its negative reception BEFORE this show even aired one episode... Internet *shakes fist at Internet*!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.