Countdown: 3 Months till the 2018 Winter Olympics!

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 7, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

The Winter Olympics return in 3 months! Consider this a countdown thread (as was done for previous Olympics), to document what's unfolding in the weeks leading up to the start of the games.

Here's a little summary of what to expect.

Dates: February 8th to February 25th, 2018. Technically the opening ceremony is February 9th.

Broadcast: Supposedly (I'll believe it when I see it) all events will be broadcast live. South Korea is 13 hours ahead of New York City (Eastern Time Zone), 14 hours ahead of Chicago (Central Time Zone) and 16 hours ahead of Los Angeles (Pacific Time Zone).

So when it's prime time hours here in America on the East Coast (7 pm to 11 pm) it will be 8 am to 12 am in South Korea. So hopefully they have some good morning events lined up. An evening hockey match in South Korea (like a game that starts at 7 pm local time) would air at 6 am on the East Coast of America. Not ideal...but we'll see how it goes.

In other news, that Russian doping scandal is still hurting the Russians. It looks like the KHL league (the Russian version of the NHL) may withdraw it's players from participating in the games in protest of the sanctions against Russia. I'm kind of surprised Russia isn't talking about pulling out of the Winter Olympics completely (which would be tragic, because the Olympics work best if all the major nations participate).

2. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Here they'll air on Eurosport. I don't know if RTP will air some of the events. The time difference here is of nine hours. Eurosport channels have already put up countdown bugs.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Morning competition will make the best of most teams, look forward to these games.

4. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I don't know if I'm interested, especially because in the last Winter Olympics I barely catched a thing since they aired on SPORT.TV and I'm not subscribed to it.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've always kind of loved the Winter Olympics and I've always been able to follow it easier than the Summer games. I can't believe it's been four years already though.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I've always personally preferred the Winter Games over the Summer ones, though there's one thing that's seriously hampering my anticipation of these Games. Yes, I know that this is going to be the most stereotypically Canadian statement ever, but I'm finding it hard to be excited now that the NHL players are not going to the Games. These will be the first time since 1994 when NHL players didn't go, and I was four months back then. I understand why the NHL doesn't want to go, and I kind of side with them, but the tournament will suffer. Olympic hockey with NHL players is one of the best tournaments you're going to see in all of sports. The level of play is at another level from anything you'd ever see in pretty much any league anywhere. I've seen some of the players that may be going instead of the NHLers and yeah.... it's going to be a rough tournament. At least we still have women's hockey, which is always thrilling to watch. I'm just really going to miss NHLers at the Games, and wish the league would stop trying to shove this World Cup of Hockey thing down our throats.