1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Could there be a renaissance?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by MikeDodgers, May 13, 2016.

1. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

You know what I've noticed since the turn of the 2010s? It's that networks and companies have a habit of remaking/rebooting things from the past after a certain period of time (sometimes as few as 5 years after cancellation, sometimes upwards of 20-30 years after). That has me thinking - could this happen to Saturday morning cartoons on broadcast TV? I now know why the blocks were voted off the island to begin with - the dollars weren't there anymore. I'm not faulting anyone anymore. I'm not saying that something like this is going to happen. I'm thinking that it MIGHT happen. However, the future has a way of surprising all of us. We could be forced to scour the Internet for our favorite shows for all eternity while the Saturday Morning blocks serve a life sentence in TV prison with no chance of parole, for all we know!

All I'm asking is that could we see animation return to Saturday Morning broadcast (Meaning the Big 5 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX) after a generation skip?

If so, when do you see it happening? If not, then why?

Debate away, everyone!

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

At this point in time no, mainly because of Litton taking over the Sat morning business and people relying more on streaming these days, that really has taken the power away of the Sat morning industry and most Kids channels are seeing difficulty as is in ratings, like Vortexx did in its first couple of weeks, so at this point of time it is hard to see a return of Sat morning blocks.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's true that there have been quite a few reboots and remakes during the past few years, but that's not really the same thing as bringing back a block. Reviving a block doesn't happen nearly that often and the successful cases are even rarer. It's easier to get a show or movie rebooted in some format than a whole block since the shows made the block in the first place, not the other way around. In some cases, the shows would have more brand recognition on their own than the block itself.

I could see some of the shows on the old school Saturday morning blocks getting revived. I'm still waiting on reboots for Static Shock and Batman Beyond for example. But in terms of getting those blocks back on those networks, I don't see it happening. There just wouldn't be enough money involved to make it worthwhile for them and the shows themselves could be potentially revived/rebooted for other channels or through online like Hulu or Netflix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

There is one final network that airs cartoons for kids : ION Television. I really hope they dont give into Litton though I doubt it.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I currently don't believe in any renaissance of Saturday morning cartoons the old way.

6. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

Aegis, Ion hasn't let Litton take over because they space out their cartoons in hour blocks Monday-Friday. Granted, it's not much. But at least it's better than nothing.

The TV biz is all one big chess game and Ion has played it well.

7. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I know right? It warms my heart.

8. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

I watched Ion a lot when it was Pax TV....and that was because it had 2 of my favorite game shows - Supermarket Sweep and Shop 'Til You Drop (Note: I want those 2 shows back because I would go on both of them in a heartbeat!). I loved seeing people make fools of themselves on a nationwide scale and I still do. Once those shows went off the air, I kinda distanced myself from Ion aside from another old show called 'Diagnosis Murder'. It starred Dick Van Dyke, a legend in his own right, as a doctor turned private investigator. Kinda set the scene for my love of crime drama shows today.

Anyway, I thought Pax/Ion would go downhill after they ditched Supermarket Sweep, Shop 'Til You Drop and Diagnosis Murder. They did....but not as much as I expected. They're smarter than I expected, smarter than any of us expected. They're playing the TV business like Bobby Fischer and Garry Kasparov. Just puts a smile on my face to see a network outsmart media conglomerates like Litton.