1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Disney XD's Future Marvel Animation Start A New Era Of Marvel Animation For The Channel?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by SweetShop209, May 22, 2017.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I'm excited for Ant-Man (and the Wasp?) shorts.

[opens a time portal]

I couldn't resist...tee hee!

• Like Like x 1
  2. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Call me crazy but I hope something new. As popular as they are I'd hate to see the same old Avengers, Spider-Man, and GotG again and again.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. General Mike

General Mike Member

I'd like to see something new too, but I'm not sure there are a lot of good options to headline a show besides the characters they already have, if they are not gonna use the X-Men or Fantastic 4. Maybe that situation is thawing a bit though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

A shared universe has the benefit of attracting viewers some sister shows, but I don't think Disney needs to do this for Marvel animated series. For the most part, the films are already advertising the shows. If someone is a fan of the Avengers, they're likely not going to be pulled into Guardians because of a cross-over, but rather they are already aware of both series.

I think having more stand-alone series will be a good things because they can free up the restraints and allow for more random guest stars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I can't help wondering if Marvel cartoons would be a heck of a lot better if Disney takes over the production of the cartoons from Marvel Animation. I say this because I look at the new DUCK TALES series by Disney and it seems to me that they are putting a lot of effort into making this series respect both the original UNCLE SCROOGE comics and the original DUCK TALES series, while at the same time trying to do something new with the concept. Also, the art and animation looks pretty good. Heck, I'm actually more excited about and more interested in checking this series out then I am the upcoming season of AA and the new Spidey series. Which says a lot, since I was never a huge fan of DUCK TALES (or a huge fan of Disney's Duckverse in general). So do you guys think that the future of Marvel Animation might lie in letting Disney make the cartoons?

• Like Like x 1
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Do you mean giving Disney more freedom in making Marvel cartoons? I'd say yes. The Big Hero 6 movie is not connected to the theatrical Marvel movies in the same way the Big Hero 6 is not connected to the current Marvel cartoons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I will say...that I have been much more impressed by the production values and promotion for the new Ducktales cartoon, as well as the apparent respect and adherence to the source material from the creators, then I have been for the new Spider-Man cartoon from what we've seen so far.

I don't want to disparage the people working on Marvel's Spider-Man, who I know to be very talented creators with a fairly good track record (at least of those I know are part of the series), but by comparison it does kind of feel like there's more effort going into the production of Ducktales. And sometimes I feel the same way for other, in-house, Disney cartoons.

It also helps that Ducktales has a really cool intro sequence that we haven't had since Earth's Mightiest Heroes :(.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. KombatMaster94

To be fair, plenty of great creators with good track records work at and/or have worked at Marvel Animation. Eugene Son, Chris "Doc" Wyatt and Kevin Burke, Marsha Griffin, Evan Burse (I'm in his Cartoon Block Crew and he's a fantastic artist, but didn't draw for the shows), etc.

I've had similar feelings sometimes, but the writing absolutely has to be good for the new Spidey cartoon. And they need to show better looking shows at D23 this year. If they can do good with the Rocket and Groot and Ant Man shorts, they can do it for regular shows.

How does anyone know Loeb and Quesada are really meddling with the shows' quality anyway? I always thought it was mainly Man of Action's fault and they're still putting out bad work (Ben 10 2016 and Mega Man 2017), though Paul Dini worked on Justice League Action.

• Like Like x 1
    #28 KombatMaster94, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  9. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

A desperate and obsessive assumption solely founded on distaste for their creative output on earlier projects.

10. KombatMaster94

Yeah, Quesada and Loeb did make bad comics in the past but I'm not sure I wanna believe they're at fault for Marvel Animation's problems. More than anything I'd believe Man of Action derailed the studio since they still haven't done good work and wrote many episodes for the Marvel shows they made.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think Quesada really had much creative control over the cartoons, but I think Leob's on-record as advocating for simpler stories and trying to push for a "shared continuity" between the cartoons, as well as putting Man of Action in creative control.

But even if Man of Action bears some responsibility for the quality of the cartoons under their tenure, which I won't dispute, I think it's also fair to say that they were to some degree executing Loeb's vision.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the quality of the cartoons only started to improve or shift once Wacker took over from Loeb.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

They had too many cooks in the kitchen when they started creating Ultimate Spider-Man and it resulted in a big mess of ideas during the first season, which pretty much established the MAS house style, that they still seem to find hard to stray from. The best shows today have strong, singular visions but a lot of the MAS decisions still feel so "by committee."

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #32 Rick Jones, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Wrong. It's because Marvel Animation became (for the most part) garbage shortly after they started calling the shots. It was Loeb's idea and mandate to do away with long story arcs. Then you have Quesada who doesn't know the true definition of "all ages" or how to create layered all ages stories that doesn't (a) talk down to the intended young 2-11 demographic (b) have silly/campy humor and (c) is over sanitized. Just look at the "all ages" Marvel Age/Adventures line of comics that came out under Quesada's tenure as EIC and the SUPERHERO SQUAD SHOW (which Quesada was heavily involved in creating and producing) to see his definition of "all ages". Heck, you can easily see elements from both the MA comics and the SSS animated series in the previous 4 Marvel animated series. Add to the fact that neither Quesada nor Loeb has any real experience in working in animation and you end up with garbage art and animation. The only thing that I think they can't and/or shouldn't be completely blamed for is the synergy with the MCU. The synergy could be driven by people above them.

• Like Like x 3
  14. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

This whole executive meddling situation with Marvel cartoons reminds me of the executive meddling of DC cartoons in the early 2000s. For example, None of Batman's rogues gallery could appear on Justice League Unlimited due to it during at the same time as The Batman, which is not in the DCAU, as well as the Christian Bale films from the time. On a related note, nor could any of the characters in Wonder Woman or anyone in her mythos appear in shows/movies where she's not a main character, hence her absence during the Static Shock crossovers. It's like how we can't really get stuff like the X Men or The Fantastic Four in animation nowadays due to FOX having the film rights.

There's also how the 2011 Green Lantern movie used the Sinestro Corp, which the animated series couldn't due to the film already claiming sharesies.

It just seems interesting to me

• Like Like x 1
  15. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

If they ended Avengers assemble and guardians fo the galaxy with new shows with a new universe canon then yes, It will be a New Era Of Marvel Animation