1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Disney XD's Future Marvel Animation Start A New Era Of Marvel Animation For The Channel?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by SweetShop209, May 22, 2017.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Let me try to explain this way the best way I can. The current Marvel cartoons set in the same universe (the ones produced after Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes but before the upcoming Spiderman cartoon) have, to put it lightly, an interesting reception. Putting aside my own opinions , general consensus is all over the place, ranging from bad shows to flawed yet still good shows (I’m in this camp) to decent shows that have wasted potential, and everything in between. Even after improvements, the stigma still stands. With the upcoming Marvel animated projects on Disney XD, could it be the start of a brand new era of Marvel Animation for the channel, to have quality you’d get from pre-Disney acquisition Marvel cartoons (granted, I haven't seen
    A lot of Marvel animation)? Let me break it down.

1. The upcoming Spiderman cartoon, while it has some similarities to Ultimate Spiderman and some crew members, is otherwise its own show not set in the continuity of USM or the other current shows. What few images we’ve seen of the show shows that the animation is not like that of the current cartoons, hinting that the show will be its own thing. If I’m wrong, correct me on that.

2. Big Hero 6, unlike the current Marvel cartoons, is developed by Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle, who had no experience in Marvel animation as opposed to those like Man Of Action, Paul Dini, Henry Gilroy, and so forth. The theatrical film, while it had some Marvel crew members involved like Joe Quesada and Jeph Loeb, is produced solely by Walt Disney Animation Studios and not Marvel Animation Studios, just like how the cartoon is not done by MAS.

3. The only Marvel cartoons currently running are Guardians Of The Galaxy and Avengers Assemble. Presumably, when those shows end, so does the current Marvel animated universe. The upcoming cartoons, which aren’t set in the current universe, could borrow from each other, and maybe even reference/crossover and have similar actors like the current ones, but are otherwise in their own continuities.

4. Think of the DC Animated Universe (composed of shows like Justice League and Batman: The Animated Series from 1992-2006, not shows like Teen Titans and The Batman) in that regard, where the DC cartoons produced after 2006 are set in their own universe.

With this in mind, could we see a new era of Marvel animation for the channel? I hope I made my points clear.

• Like Like x 2
    #1 SweetShop209, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I wish folks would stop treating Internet reception as if it's important to an already successful franchise...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #2 TheLemsterPju, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

And I wish people like you should stop acting like you speak on the majority of fans. We can agree to disagree on that, thank you very much.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #3 AdrenalineRush1996, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Yeah I do hope so, I believe it's the best course of action for the company.

New animated show, just like with their new video game franchises, semi rebooted comic books.

It will definitely bring even more new fans, current fans and the old fans together in one happy place and Marvel can be great again.

The Movies and video games are in the Thriple A cartigory of outstanding films and incredible video games starting with the new Spider-Man video game. It's time for Marvel animations with the new bloods (Wacker and co) to bring the new era.

I mean if the new crew could turn a show I thought was Nonsense to decent and sometimes very interesting show, just think what they can do with their own, starting fresh.

I also hope that Marvel Animations use Disney's resources and add more budget to their shows especially for their colouring and rendering sections by bringing in more staff and turn it to Triple A production like Woner Brothers DC animation projects.

• Like Like x 2
  5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Do you have any ratings info that backs up your claim that these shows are "successful"? And yes, I know that these shows are kept around because toy sales are good, so I don't want to see that touted around as proof that the shows are "successful". What I want to see is ratings info that prove these shows are "successful".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 spyke, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  6. TheLemsterPju

There's episode list pages for the shows on Wikipedia that have sections on the side source to official US rating sites. Those are for when the episode air for the first time. All Disney XD shows ratings rarely get above 500,000 viewers unless it is a series premiere. Even then, that's US television station ratings.

What you need to keep in mind is that there are various mediums for people to watch these shows, not just in the US. There's Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, etc. But if you want a more accurate way of telling a show's success, toy sells do matter.

#6 TheLemsterPju, May 23, 2017
  7. AdrenalineRush1996

Excuse me but I don't see you doing that to fans who don't like Teen Titans Go!

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 AdrenalineRush1996, May 23, 2017
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No offense, but I don't think you're contributing much at this point either. Your recent posts have been only complaints that not enough people talk about the shows you like or trying to prove how fans are harassed online for liking some Marvel cartoons the majority dislikes. It's not a very productive discussion.

You can't help it if not too many people talk about these shows, or if they have a different opinion than yours. There's no reason to get so worked up over something like this. And the harassing you keep mentioning might be true, but it has not happened on these forums so there's really nothing to be gained by bringing it up here. And you have no right to tell people to leave because they don't share your opinions. Please tone it down.

I think a decent enough and civilized discussion can come out of this topic, so no more personal attacks or off-topic posts. This goes for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

Agreed.

10. TheLemsterPju

I highly disagree.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. AdrenalineRush1996

Sorry but I agree with RoyalRubble on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheLemsterPju

I wasn't talking to you dude.

13. AdrenalineRush1996

Yes but RoyalRubble told you to tone down your attitude in this thread and that you shouldn't have told people to leave if they disagree with your opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #13 AdrenalineRush1996, May 23, 2017
  14. TheLemsterPju

I see no problem with my attitude, in my opinion.

15. AdrenalineRush1996

Then you clearly have a problem with what he said. He's right, you know.

#15 AdrenalineRush1996, May 23, 2017
  16. TheLemsterPju

So my opinion is wrong?

17. AdrenalineRush1996

It's not that. It's that you're missing the point of what he's saying.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think we're starting to stray pretty far from the topic of this thread folks, so let's get back to discussing whether we're seeing a new era of Marvel Animation unfold before us.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. AdrenalineRush1996

Agreed.

20. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

That's the same lame spin excuse that Marvel's publishing division throws out there whenever people point out how low their comic book sales are.

Also, I NEVER said that toy sales didn't matter. However, I was/am saying that I want to see ratings info that proves these shows are a success in regards to being on TV. The last time I checked, ratings and toy sales aren't interchangeable and that toy sales do not tell you how many people are watching the actual show.

• Like Like x 1
    #20 spyke, May 24, 2017