1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Disney Make Adult Animation?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SweetShop209, Nov 29, 2016.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

When it comes to the Big 3 networks, Disney is the only network to not produce or even consider making adult animation. Cartoon Network has the Adult Swim block. Nickelodeon made Glenn Martin DDS for Nick At Nite, Ren And Stimpy Adult Cartoon for Spike TV (both of which are panned, but you still get the point) and considered making an adult reboot of SpongeBob for Spike TV and a more mature Hey Arnold show called "The Patakis".

While Disney does have more adult oriented live action content on Freeform and ABC as well as the Marvel and Star Wars theatrical films and their Touchstone Pictures films, their animated fare based on Marvel and Star Wars are still for general audiences (meaning they include kids) and their animation in general is no higher than TV-Y7 (cartoons) and PG (films). Notice how Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior all air kids content 24/7 while the main Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network channels have adult blocks starting around 9-10 pm.

I'm not asking for Disney to make adult oriented animation (heck, I actually like that their animation in general entertains both kids and adults), but do you think that Disney could make adult oriented animation in the future? Share your thoughts below.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I think the main reason they don't do adult animated material is because they don't have their own adult orientated channel. Relatively speaking CN and Nick have had a place to make cartoons for adults while Disney hasn't. Because of that I don't think they would think about making an adult animated show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If they do, they won't use the Disney TVA logo, for branding purposes.
    Also, the show would end up airing on Freeform, which is a general audience channel. I doubt it would air on ABC, as I think broadcast networks have given up with competing with FOX in that regard.
    Third option, the show would be sold to FOX or FX as a third party acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I think Disney has a reputation of making stuff for the whole family. So making an adult-animation would be something they wouldn't consider making. Whatever comes out of their Marvel and Star Wars shows would probably be the closest to adult animation we would get from them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArizonaKid

ArizonaKid New Member

I agree and even with Marvel and Star Wars, even though they own them I think they keep them ran pretty separately so it's not under the "Disney" label publicly really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Disney likes to keep their image family friendly. They have the Touchstone label for more mature movies and don't slap the Disney name on Marvel or Star Wars. If they make a adult animated series it would come on Freeform or ABC and it would be made under another label.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tonyr6

tonyr6 Member

I hope not. CN got ruined by AS and Nick got ruined by NaN. As 95% of the other channels have adult shows we don't need the only true 24/7 kids network to start airing adult junk when every other channel does.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

No, because it's Disney. I think it's self explanatory...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PiotrGT

PiotrGT Member

I just can't imagine Disney doing this kind of stuff. I feel like they are hm, "too classy" (?) to make this kind of content (not saying anything bad about adult cartoons, it's just very different than what I'm used to from Disney). Altrough some of their efforts like "Pickle and Peanut" seem like they could. I don't know, just like person above said, I think it's self explanatory.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Master C

The Master C Member

I think that Disney could make adult animation. Of course, it would have to be under the ABC Studios name, and air on a non-Disney network (TBS, [adult swim], and FXX come to mind) or on Netflix or Hulu. They can even leverage the talent at Maker Studios (which Disney bought not too long ago), which thrives on creator-driven content, and that could work well in production of adult animation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

I doubt they would because well yea it's Disney, but if they ever did it would likely most definitely air on Freeform/ABC Spark or Netflix.

#11 jfoley85, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  12. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cosmo

Cosmo New Poster. Old Lurker.

The highest Disney has gone is teens I think. Disney is a very family friendly company and I think they want to stay that way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Disney wouldn't produce animation aimed at teens under their brand, so I can't really picture them doing stuff aimed at adults. The only kind of somewhat recent adult series I can remember being on any of their channels were Slacker Cats on ABC Family and Goode Family on ABC which were both not produced by Disney or long-lasting. XD aired stuff like Planet Hulk and Naruto Shippuden that were more for teens but heavily edited.

I think animation aimed at an early teen demo on XD could do great if promoted or scheduled well but I don't think it's happening soon.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I might argue that Disney is making more "adult" animation than they ever did before. I'm thinking specifically of how death is a prominent plot element in both Big Hero 6 and Moana, in ways that I don't think they ever really broached in earlier movies. There's also the whole racial harmony parable that drives Zootopia, which is expressed in ways that children can understand but which I think you really need to be an adult to fully appreciate.

But all that said, I agree with the consensus that Disney is unlikely to go much further than what they're already doing, and that a true "adult-themed" (think PG-13 or higher) rated animation would almost certainly be released under a corporate subsidiary or a different banner. I could conceive that Lucasfilm might try for a Star Wars animated feature, and I'd also argue that Star Wars Rebels is also pushing much further in adult-oriented themes and sophistication than Disney would on one of their own shows. But I think it highly unlikely that Disney would launch a separate subsidiary specifically to do more grown-up animation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Heeroyuy_Batman

Could they, yes but probably not in the near future and most likely under their Touchstone label. Should they, no. I believe that they should do things that are for the family and all ages for the most part with the most adult any animation be is something for teens.

17. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

I think it would be interesting for them to try. Of course, it won't be airing on a Disney branded network, and obviously, Disney's name won't be anywhere near it. But Disney TVA producing a mature geared animated series under a different production label ala TouchStone for Freeform or something would be interesting.

18. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

They have used Touchstone Television to make adult animation like Clone High. They also had Capitol Critters and The Critic which were produced by Hanna Barbera and 20th Century Fox respectively.

So they probably would make adult animation, just under a different brand.

19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I don't see why not

If Disney can do PG-13 and R-rated movies (sometimes even under their own label) then what's stopping them from producing mature animation?

It would be a nice change from all the derivative formulaic shows currently plauging adult TV

In other words more adult cartoons less adult dramas!

#makeadulttelevisiongreatagain

EDIT:
    also Disney isn't as family-friendly as people think they are...

• Funny Funny x 1
    #19 Mikurotoro92, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  20. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

If they did make adult animation nowadays, it certainly wouldn't air on their main networks. They would have to air it on ABC or somewhere that's not associated with Disney's family-friendly brand.