Could A Toonami channel save Cartoon Network's action lineup

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by The Watcher, May 16, 2014.

1. The Watcher

The Watcher New Member

This idea might sound crazy,but with how they have been treating their action cartoons recently this might possibly work. Regular Cartoon Network could focus on comedy shows while a Toonami channel could show action show.

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I think what's more likely is Boomerang's rebrand having a bigger action focus, like Nicktoons and Disney XD are now.

3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, CN does have a seperate Toonami channel in Asia... but that's a different market.

Toonami is already on Adult Swim. If CN had Toonami as well, it'd be confusing and likely counterproductive.

Personally, as much as I love Toonami, I have to say no.

CN doesn't deserve to have a Toonami block, let alone an entire channel.

However, an action block of some kind (for ex. reviving the Power Zone) wouldn't hurt.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching Comedy Central for kids.

4. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

For me, it could save CN. It could be like Toonami Asia only with a better schedule and the features of the Toonami block on [as].

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Cartoon Network already focuses on comedy, and Toonami already runs on Adult Swim. I don't think that Turner/Williams Street have any desire to launch a third CN channel.

Actually, according to Nick and More, the new Boomerang is supposed to focus on younger audiences, girls and families. The new Boom sounds like it will more closely resemble Cartoonito, Pop Girl or The Hub than Disney XD or Nicktoons.

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Cartoon Network could use an action oriented program block out side of Adult Swim, but I don't think it needs an entire channel devoted to action. Taking Toonami away from AS wouldn't help either the block or the channel. A new channel would be in fewer homes and would mean reduced viewers for the block, at least initially. Realistically speaking, Turner isn't going to launch a 3rd cartoon channel in the U.S.. They just need to make better use of the 2 channels that they have now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  7. Darissa Townes

Darissa Townes Active Member

Not to mention that it'd be difficult for Toonami to get more shows, NEW shows, lest it'll just be an action-orientated Boomerang with a bajillion reruns. I'd much rather have Toonami just take over the ENTIRE Saturday night AS block. A few extra hours is better than a whole risky channel.

8. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

I have to agree with this, as much as I want to see more action and better treatment of it on CN in general (they have to be GOOD shows, however!). Sorry.

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

They did say that. However, there's quite a few hours dedicated to action cartoons on Boomerang compared to CN. They may very well continue to dedicate some significant portion of their rebranded channel to action animation. What's one show that meets nearly all the angles they hope to achieve with their rebrand? Sailor Moon. Totally Spies comes to mind as well.

Their attempts to focus on those demographics may end up being short-lived as well.

Back to the core topic:

Toonami wont likely ever be something outside of Adult Swim again. That may be for the best because I don't like to trust the brand with anyone but the people currently in charge of it.

There isn't enough demand for CN to make an action cartoon afternoon block much less a whole network. Though I wish there was.

10. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't see Boom dropping Ben 10, Pokémon, or Teen Titans so soon. Secret Saturdays and Samurai Jack maybe, but not the other three.

Some of the older classics may go soon (like Captain Planet and Jonny Quest), but I also don't them stopping the Earth Day tradition with the former.

11. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Playing it Cool, bro!

i don't see a need for toonami make channel
    if anything they should bring you are here again if there needing a action block again but thats there probably gonna do

12. RegularCapital

RegularCapital TVS: Portakabin TV Part of Fox Kids/Disney History

We had a Toonami channel between 2003-2007 in the UK (formally CNX), it performed okay but it was probably below Turner's expectations. They started to focus more on their younger audiences, having launching CN Too the year before Toonami closed.

13. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

Um, Vortexx, anyone?

If Toonami got moved to Vortexx, as well as Adult Swim got moved to TBS, that would be amazing.

Then CN can be all about contemporary family fun (shows that are 15 years and younger) and Boomerang be all about nostalgic family fun (shows that are 30 years and older as well as the 15 year gap, that gets a separate block).

Too old stuff (60 years and older) can get a block on TCM.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  14. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I have to say I really like this idea. Though part of me wishes CN would just stop being really really lame for a change and remember how great and big their Toonami block was in 1999-2003... and have that back on Saturday nights for their "action shows." I want that only because I am not sure that Vortexx would get enough viewers for Toonami... or if they would even add a new block for action shows when the channel itself is pretty action-y already.
    Wait what is Vortexx's line-up? I'll be honest I don't watch that channel, I just remember some of the commercials that showcased JLU, some anime show, and some WWE advertising. So the channel seemed pretty action-y. lol
    Again though I do like your idea Lemanic. :)

D.

15. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I really want to see the Toonami channel launch but I do like [MENTION=39659]Lemanic[/MENTION]'s ideas.

16. Goldstar Neo

Toonami isn't a TV show; it's a programming block. A program block can't air as part of another program block. That makes no sense. Also, the current Toonami is geared toward the Adult Swim audience (18 and over). If Turner wanted to launch an action block for kids, they could just do that on their own. There'd be no reason for CN to merge with Vortexx. But said block would most likely not be called Toonami because that's an AS property now.

Adult Swim being moved to TBS might not be a bad idea, but the AS block is doing better ratings-wise than anything on Cartoon Network right now. The sad truth is that AS is doing too well on CN for Turner to want to move it, and that Turner clearly doesn't want to program 24 hours of CN.

How is that different from what those channels are doing now?

17. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Why can't they expand Toonami to Friday nights as well?

18. Goldstar Neo

Turner could certainly do that. They just don't want to for some reason. Most likely it's because CN's previous attempts to have action cartoons on Friday nights (Night of Action and You Are Here) were ratings failures. If you mean for Turner to expand Adult Swim Toonami to Friday nights, then I don't see why not.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Turner isn't going to do either of those things. They have no reason to. Toonami and Adult Swim aren't moving anywhere, and Turner doesn't need Vortexx for anything.

The flaw in that plan is that the current Toonami caters to the Adult Swim audience of 18+ year old viewers, whereas Vortexx is aimed at kids aged 8-14, not to mention the point that Goldstar raised earlier: that AS is the highest rated thing on CN currently, so Turner won't be taking anything from AS off of CN right now, Toonami will likely never be anything outside of Adult Swim again (if Turner/Williams Street had any desire to program an action cartoon block for kids, they could just put Toonami or a Toonami-like block on Cartoon Network, they don't need Vortexx) and Turner clearly has no desire to make Cartoon Network a 24/7 channel again. Heck, the current CN is little more than boot camp for grooming the viewers who will one day become Adult Swim's future audience.

20. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Why not overnight?