1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

World's Finest Writer's Corner CONTEST: Batman - Dark Knight Adventures WRITE-OFF! (UPDATED 10/3)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by The Flash, Aug 18, 2004.

1. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

The World's Finest hit comic book series, Batman: Dark Knight Adventures and the World's Finest Writer's Corner have teamed up for an exciting story contest!

[​IMG]

Are you an aspiring writer? Maybe you just enjoy writing? If you want your work to be viewed by thousands, then now is the time to get your pen out! Dark Knight Adventures is looking for a good story, from YOU! You pick the characters. You pick the setting. You pick the plot. You write the story. We draw it. We publish it. You win. Make sure you enter this, you don't want to miss out on this opportunity!

Discuss any questions or comments below!
    You MUST READ THE RULES!

-​
    -​
    -​
    -​
    -​

CONTEST NEWS FOR September 21st!

[​IMG]

As we all know, entry submission for our Write-Off Story Contest are now closed! The Dark Knight Adventures team has narrowed down all entries to just four finalists! The process was a long one, as nearly 20 quality entires were submitted and carefully read. Thus far, the four best fitting the Batman - Dark Knight Adventures premise were choosen! The Four Finalists will be announced on October 3, 2004!

Remember, the winning entry will be announced on October 10, 2004! The winners entry will be featured in an upcoming issue of Batman - Dark Knight Adventures.

CONTEST NEWS FOR October 3rd!

[​IMG]
    Finalists are... (in order of arival)

Roger Smith (Somedayscharm)
    V. Moore (Bic)
    Chris Matz (Reirden)
    Tim Leighton (Tim Two-Face)

We would like to send a big thank you to everybody who took their time to write a story and enter it. We had to screen through a lot of good stories. In the end the best ones that fit our book were picked. The FINAL winner will be announced one week from today! October 10, 2004!

2. Batman's Biggest Fan

I might enter, even though I'd probably want to be write my own little arc one day or a filler issue although this is probably my chance. So, I'll get to work. Although we won't see this for a while now won't we? BTW can it be like a two issue type story, or does it have to be single issue?

3. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Click the link for more details - Ian has put them all in there. It is a one issue story.

Everyone, please read the rules and conditions so you are totally cool with what this event requires and what it offers.

We expect all entrants to read these details and we will assume have all done so when the submissions are recieived.

If you have not, and the entry does not conform to the requirements then it will be scrapped, simple as that. Furthermore, make sure you are cool with our arrangement as editors on the comic. There's nothing hidden in there, but it does clarify the arrangement (what we expect of you, what you can expect of us).

Thanks.

4. BeastBoyWonder

BeastBoyWonder Teen Titans Go!

Really glad to see that you guys are doing this, and even more pleased that its for DKA and not "World's Finest Presents"! Good luck to all of the entrants!

5. The Flash

The contest deadline is that drawn out, allowing more people a chance to enter. I want to get as many entries as I can. When you read the rules, that will answer your next question. :)

Make sure you read the rules, folks. If you don't you might enter something completally incorrect, voiding your entry! I do not want to reject a good story, because it was either too long or too short. You also have to read them, in order to know how to enter!

Yup! Speaking of WF Presents, there is a story ready to be posted. Just need to find the time to post it. This is a DKA contest, because DKA always gets the interest! :D

6. Grimlock

Grimlock Active Member

Ok, well i read the rules and i still have a question. It says "three pages, no more no less."

So am i supposed to write this like a novel with 3 full pages of text? Or is it three pages of:

panel 1: batman watches criminals enter bank.

panel 2: criminal #1: did you cut the alarm?

criminal #2: yeah

Panel 3: batman swoops down to the entrance.

Because there's a huge difference between those two options.

Thanks for any help.

7. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

The final product - when published - will be 3 pages. A 3 page comic story. How you approach this really depends on the individual just make sure it falls in the presented guidelines.

Have a look at Salvor's Batman Vs Toaster in #7 - a three page short story.

As for writing - script form with stage details is what we recommend. If you've not done one before I'm sure people here could give you pointers. If there isn't a workshop for script writing at either here or The Storyboard, maybe that would be a good suggestion....

In the meantime I recommend you look at Silverknights style HERE. This is not to say this is perfect. Some writers give their artists a lot of artistic slack. Some are very specific with each panel. In the example with Silverknight, we'd been working together for a year so we both kind of knew what the other wanted. We are more interested in a good flowing short story than a perfect looking script. The more legiable and easy to visualise, the better your chances - nothing turns off editors than a story which is hard to read in any format.

Hope that helps! :)

8. Kylewayne

Kylewayne Mrs. Outlander00

Neat! I'll probably enter this contest. :)

9. Storm

Storm Active Member

I'll give it a shot because a certain Brit asked me too ;)

- Storm

10. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Sounds like a fun idea. Count me in!

-Tim

11. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just to confirm as we've had several people ask, the end result is 3 pages (the final printed story will be three pages long). The script is as long as it needs be to accomdate that final result. The script itself doesn't have to be 3 pages, it just has to be concise and fluid enough that we can draw from it. :)

12. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

The results from this are going to be soooo awesome, I can't wait :D
    I may or may not enter, I'll see how my school workload goes first. I have ideas, it's just a matter of picking one and making it fuller.

~Barb

13. TimTwoFace

Yeah, same here. I'll have enough time to do SOMETHING but usually my ideas are so grandiose that three pages would not be enough.

It IS tougher to write things that are shorter, more succinct, and more concise. So my english teachers WERE right after all these years...

-Tim

14. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep, 3 pages is pretty hard. You have to look at a beginning middle end closley, keep it tight and keep it relevant. Not an easy task. Considering we need to do the art for it, 3 pages was about as much as we could offer. :)

Good luck guys!

15. The Flash

Just to further elaborate on the 3 page length ordeal. I know it's hard to write short stories, I apologize about that. Not only is the DKA crew "arting" this story, but we also have to sit and read every entry. I wasn't too thrilled about sitting through twenty to thirty 20 page stories. We've grown well over 20x in popularity since our cover contest, so I know we're going to get lots of entries. Sorry if that messes everybody up, but we're pushing a tight ship as it is. :)

16. TimTwoFace

Don't worry about it. It can be possible - everyone submitting is just going to have to write something very simple. I've never written a full story this short - the shortest I've seen done exceedingly well was Bruce Timm's "Two of a Kind" in the BATMAN BLACK & WHITE miniseries, and I've tried to follow that formula since, whenever a shorter back-up story is what I'm aiming for.

Now to find a good idea...*PONDERS*

-Tim

17. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

Hey! I am really interested in entering this. I'll have to come up with a good, no, great Batman story, though.

Quick question, I didn't see anything on this in the rules.. maybe I missed it.. are collaborative efforts allowed?

#17 Nick K., Sep 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2004
  18. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would say, for simplicities sake and fairness, keep this to one persons story and no collaborations. Apologies for the delay in reply, I've been away and Flash is stuck in airports!

19. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

That's cool! I sent mine in already. =P

20. TimTwoFace

Eeeep, I need to get right on this! Think, Timbo, think...*GOES TO THINKING SPOT TO THINK*

-Tim