1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Constantine" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 24, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "Constantine"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

100.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Raise a little hell... Constantine airs Fridays at 10pm (ET) on NBC.

[​IMG]

Constantine
    October 24th, 2014 - "Non Est Asylum"
    TV14 V

A seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult gets pulled back into battling the worst hell has to offer in order to help the daughter of an old friend—and because there's the slightest possibility of saving his own damned soul—in the premiere of this supernatural thriller inspired by the DC comic book series "Constantine."

Comments on Constantine?

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorta meh. There are some nice ideas but it's too rushed and kind of generic looking. I had heard that the way they got rid of the girl was one of the most hilarious rewrites in TV history and it didn't disappoint. Kind of made the whole episode pointless. Hopefully it picks up but it definitely feels like a cable show that is being restrained by network standards. I mean no smoking..c'mon.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm coming in not knowing much about Constantine. This first episode didn't exactly blow me away but there is a lot going on that looks like it will be interesting so I'll stick with it.

I liked how the driver got out and opened the body bag. Stupid move if you are in a horror movie but if you assume you aren't in a horror movie you have to do that or be the one to let someone in medical need suffocate. Too bad for him he was in a horror show.

4. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching this. I'm not a huge fan of Constantine in the comics but the premise looked interesting to I figured I'd give it a chance. It was ok.

My biggest problem was how they dealt with Liv's departure. Everything about this episode just screamed "Liv will be sticking around and be an important part of this series". They introduced a supporting character for her in her Mom, special powers, her own secret base, even a subplot mystery about what happened to her Dad. Then they had an incredibly tacked on feeling ending that said "she left and ain't coming back". It was quite possibly the most awkward thing I've seen on television in a very long time. I understand they wanted to go in a different direction or something, but man, at that point they should've just reshot the pilot from scratch.

5. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

It suffered from pilot-itis in that it tried to cram way too much into a single episode, but that'll sort itself out later. I like Matt Ryan as Constantine, I think he elevates the mediocre script. The visuals looked decent. Liv being written out was hilariously ham-fisted, but I can see why she was replaced because she was definitely the weak link in the cast, and so long as the replacement is good, then it won't really matter in the long run. The network restrictions are questionable, I don't see why he can't be a chain smoker as there's plenty of smoking in other network shows, and same goes for the "paint," and this is a show on at 10 on a Friday night for crying out loud, but whatever.

It showed some promise, with a good lead and some decent style, and I'll give it a few more tries.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Well, I finally watched it On Demand.

Considering that 11 years or so ago WB fumbled with Constantine at the box office (Keanu Reeves? Big mistake!), so they finally get the character right. The nervous flicking of the lighter makes up for the lack of smoking, I get that, and I'm okay with it. Matt Ryan's Constantine is supposed to be younger than the comics version. I guess that's meant to attract the teens and college kids.

When your creative pedigree (i.e. David Goyer) already has some serious cred with comics fans (Man of Steel, Dark Knight Rises, Blade), then you've already got a leg up. I liked the opener, and I'm not a fan of Constantine. If they can find someone to play Zatanna, whom John's had a relationship with on-and-off in the books, that'll get more eyeballs tuned in. Trust me.

7. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

I really enjoyed this first episode. Hope it does well and gets picked up for a full season.

8. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"The Darkness Beneath" October 31, 2014

Constantine #2 airs tonight at 10 p.m. ET on NBC.

[​IMG]
    "The Darkness Beneath"
    Friday, October 31, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    An ancient Welsh spirit torments a small mining town in Western Pennsylvania, where John makes a powerful new ally in a mysterious young woman named Zed.

9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Devil's Vinyl" November 7, 2014

Did we run out of fans after week one? New Constantine tonight at 10 ET on NBC.

[​IMG]
    "The Devil's Vinyl"
    Friday, November 7, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    John and Zed find themselves in a dangerous confrontation with sinister forces as they try to save a family, who in desperation made a deal with the devil. Meanwhile, John confronts the darkness in his own life; and comes face-to-face with a new powerful adversary in Papa Midnite.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What hurts this show for me is the use of surrogate character. The girl and the pilot and the new girl are essentially the same thing and it begs the question of why they're here? Especially the second girl since the first one was conveniently written out. Also the monsters of the series so far have been really...lame.

10 years ago Supernatural, a similar show, came on like a house on fire this show just seems so tepid and bogged down. And for a lack of a better term too clean, this show should be more grimy and dark like SP first seasons.

11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"A Feast of Friends" November 14, 2014

Catch Constantine tonight on NBC at 10 p.m. ET/9 CT.

[​IMG]
    "A Feast of Friends"
    Friday, November 14, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    When an old friend unleashes a demon with a killer appetite, John must make a chilling sacrifice.

12. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

What I love right now is seeing all the creative ways they have John smoke cigarettes. In this episode I saw a cigarette butt on the grass while they were in the park. I know it's apparently not allowed to show someone smoking a cigarette on TV, or in a movie unless you want an R rating, but the way the show has gone out of their way to get around it and make it clear John smokes is just funny to me.

I've been enjoying the show so far, and it's better than the movie, but my main problem is that I feel you need to know so much about the character/mythos to comprehend what's going on. I have a handful of Hellblazer trades, and a majority of the Mike Carey run, but even then as I watch the show I'm seeing things that I'm not sure if it's dead on from the comics, or if it's the show taking it's own liberties. When Chas "died" in the first episode, I really thought they killed him off. Someone asked if he can come back to life in the comic, and I said "I have no idea. I know that's something I probably SHOULD know, but I don't.". I don't think Hellblazer is something "straight forward" enough to easily adapt into TV or film (unlike say, The Flash or Green Arrow).

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

How many episodes is there ordered for the first season so far? 13? I hear ratings have actually been good for the show and I'm hoping that it sticks around. It has potential to be really good. It's good and at times feel kinds mediocre but it's not too bad. I would like to see NBC give it room to grow.

14. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I don't know, I've given it a chance but I'm just not feeling the show. I was never a huge fan of the comic in the first place too. I'm seriously considering dropping it from my DVR.

15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Danse Vaudou" November 21, 2014

It's a big week for those that may be behind, tonight is Constantine #5 which means the first episode will expire from Hulu and OnDemand next week.

[​IMG]
    "Danse Vaudou"
    Friday, November 21, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    John must join forces with Papa Midnite to eliminate a deadly threat in New Orleans.

16. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Stop the presses. Call the FCC. I saw John Constantine with a cigarette in his mouth in his opening scene in this episode! I must now smoke tobacco because I saw someone on TV do it.

So we have a shared DCU in Arrow/The Flash, and now we have a shared DCU in Constantine. We've all been asking why it took so long for a live action shared DCU, but now I ask why the live action shared DCU exists first on TV (most likely two separate DCUs at the same time too)? Not that it's a bad thing. It's first appearing on TV I mean.

17. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Rage of Caliban"

If you're like me, you have about 3 hours to watch the Constantine pilot before it expires on Hulu and until midnight local time OnDemand. New episode tonight at 10 ET.

[​IMG]
    "Rage of Caliban"
    Friday, November 28, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    John is forced to put aside his misgivings about exorcising a child when a malevolent spirit takes hold of a young boy. But first, the kid's parents need to be convinced that there is an evil presence controlling their son.

18. VladDraculi

VladDraculi Member

This show is amazing and it is a shame NBC is not giving it the chance it deserves. Not only that, but they don't even seem to care about anything but Grimm. Hopefully CW will pick it up if NBC cans it because at least they will care enough to let it run an entire season before deciding its fate. If Arrow had been cut down to 13 episodes it wouldn't have made it past that because that show did not get good until its second half. It was given the time it needed to find its grounding and evolve from it. Constantine is a series that needs to be given the same opportunities. Not to mention it is unfair that a network like Fox, who is the George RR Martin of TV, orders a full season of a crappy show while Constantine gets screwed over. Did the two networks switch their executives?

19. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

The sword that Chaz picks up belongs to NIGHTMASTER.

20. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Blessed Are the Damned" December 5, 2014

Constantine wraps up this holiday night on NBC at 10 ET.

[​IMG]
    "Blessed Are the Damned"
    Friday, December 5, 2014 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on NBC
    Zed's bizarre vision of snakes leads her and John to a small town where a preacher has mysteriously gained the ability to perform miracles.