Console Failures and You

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Shawn Hopkins, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

So, I'm sitting here with a very expensive PS4 that was shipped to my house well and truly broken, waiting on the FedEx guy to arrive with a "coffin" so I can ship it back to Sony to get a new one. And that made me think back to all of the consoles I've had over the years, and how many of them have failed or broke in one way or another. My story might be a bit of a long read because it covers 30 years, but even if you don't make it through it I'd like to hear about your consoles and which ones have broken on you.

Atari 2600: Our first Atari 2600 was fried when lightning hit our trailer. My dad tried to fix it, but it didn't work. Eventually we got another one that worked great for years. We did have an issue for a while where you couldn't press up, that made certain games like E.T. completely impossible. My brother figured out a piece of metal was stuck in the controller port and fixed it. Eventually that 2600 got supplanted by NES and went into storage until my brother got it out of the closet one day and took it apart to see what was inside. I have to admit, that was fascinating.

NES: Our NES was worked like a mule. We wore out several sets of controllers, and would get old ones from neighborhood children and play them for what little life was left in them. The console also became increasingly balky about playing games, where it was a crapshoot if you would get one to work at all.

In about 2005 I got it out, took it apart, and sandpapered the contacts. Put it back together and it worked like new. I think it more recently got filled with water from a leaky roof and ruined, though.

SNES: Our SNES never actually failed. The plastic yellowed to a disgusting yellow. Games got a little balky. Controllers wore out. And one of our controllers developed a short where it would shock you in certain games. But it worked the last time I used it.

Sega Genesis: I have a number of Genesis and Sega CD consoles and a JVC X'Eye. Most of them have a bad port now and won't play cartridge games. I could probably fix them with some cleaning.

3DO: My 3DO works, as far as I know. But the two budget, off-brand controllers that came with it both broke in a hilarious 30 minutes from when I got the console. I bought an adapter and used an SNES controller with it from then on.

Atari Jaguar: Bought it at a fleamarket. Guy gave me the wrong power cord for it. Maybe that fried it of maybe it was already broken, but it never worked right.

Master System, Turbografx, Phillips CDI, maybe some others I'm forgetting: Bought all of these used years after they came out, they still work as far as I know.

Sega Saturn: Still works fine. Think I had to replace the CMOS battery, and one controller is very frayed with open wires.

Game Gear: This was my brother's, not mine, but like most Game Gears it has fallen to a leaky capacitors problem and has a washed-out, too bright screen. Still playable, just not as pretty.

Playstation: Whoo boy, Playstation. The Playstation had a flaw where it would steadily get more and more out of alignment and begin refusing to read discs. The jerry-rigged solution to this was to put the darned thing on its side, so that's where my Playstation sat for most of its life. I eventually gave it away when I got PS2. It still worked, kinda.

Dreamcast: The Dreamcast also had a frustrating laser alignment issue that kept me from playing some of its best games. Heartbreakingly, Skies of Arcadia was one it would never play. I bought another one, and took the first one apart eventually and fixed it and gave it to my brother, but I'd already moved on to PS2 by that time.

PS2: I've never given any console more work than my PS2, not even the NES. I used it as my main gaming console and my main DVD player for years, daily extended use. So after a while it did start to get out alignment and have trouble reading discs. One day I pulled it off the dresser and broke it, so I thought I had nothing to lose and took it apart to put it back together. I accidentally pulled the cover off the disc drive, but the repair worked and I was able to realign the laser. It held for a while, but went bad again so I got a slim PS2 for $5 at a yard sale and still use that.

Gamecube: My Gamecube got a lot less use than the PS2. The only thing that ever broke on it was the eject button. I had to mash that in different ways to get the lid open.

Various Gameboy Advances: I never kept the Gameboy Advance long enough for it to break on me, I've had three and gave them all away to kids I know. I do have a Gameboy Player that still works, though.

Nintendo DS: The DS I had was either defective, or its microphone failed at some point. I recently gave it away to a child who probably won't care about the microphone.

Xbox: I was one of the unlucky ones to get an Xbox with the dreaded, defective, Thompson-manufactured DVD drive. It eventually stopped reading discs and became a paperweight, before I was able to finish KOTOR 2. I later bought another one and made sure to check this one had a more reliable Samsung drive. That one got a lot of use because I discovered Morrowind. Hundreds of hours on that game alone.

Xbox 360: Yep, my 360 red-ringed. It held on for about three or four years after I got it. I was playing Fallout 3 in my apartment in the winter with the heat on and it kept freezing. I thought, "Wow, this game is glitchy!" But it wasn't that glitchy. My console wasn't under warranty any more, but they were still repairing them if you argued enough with the CSR. They fixed it and it still works, but it's balky about turning on after I first plug it in so I think there's an issue with power supply.

PS3: I bought a 40GB fat PS3 used, so no warranty. I used the crap out of that sucker, both as a media hub and a game machine. After a few years it YLOD'd on me. There was no replacing it without a warranty, so I just went out and bought a new one, which has worked fine. Better than the old one, which had a crappy wifi circuit that only used about a third of my speed.

Wii: My Wii still works like new, but I haven't used it that much.

3DS: 3DS still works great, even though I dropped it in a mud puddle. It's a tough little dealy. It's weird about internet, though. It hated the wifi at my old apartment and didn't work right with it.

PSP: My PSP has a flaw that makes it reset itself randomly in some games. If I want to avoid it I have to play with it plugged in. It sucks. And it won't work with the wifi where I live now at all.

PS4: Got the PS4 in the mail Wednesday night from Amazon. Was already worried about it because I'd heard many of the Amazon one's were defective. And mine was, too. It turned on and tried to boot but froze. After that it showed a few images, but never got through the boot process and mostly just sat with an annoying blinking blue light and a blank screen. I'm sending it back and hopefully I'll get a good one.

Wow, looking back most of the consoles I've purchased have had or developed some problem or another. And, yes, Nintendo fans, Nintendo does seem to have the best quality track record. Not perfect, but definitely the best.

So why do I keep buying these thing I know are going to break? I guess my love of video games outweighs common sense. :sweat:

2. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I've been very lucky that I haven't had any consoles fail on me, even the newer ones. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that. :sweat:

3. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

I'm on my third 360 because of the red ring. Other than that, my Genesis finally gave up the ghost about a few years ago. And I guess if you count it, my first N-Gage got the white screen of death a little after I bought it. All my other systems are still working fine. The Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, and Game Gear.

I've solidly taken the position that I will never buy a new console day one, and will wait at least a year for them to get the kinks out.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Years ago, my Nintendo 64 stopped working.

I've had at least one Wii and PlayStation 3 stop working.

I had a GameBoy Advance. While it never broke, some f the buttons got damaged.

But the biggest kick....my Wii U has stopped working lately! :(

5. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

The only system that I recall having that was defective was the GBA I first got. I only vaguely remember it altogether. I recall it being something related to the screen glitching after amounts of playing, but I don't recall that too clearly. All I know is that we were able to return it and get another one that never would give me any issues.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Back when I had a Nintendo DS Lite, things got to a point where the hinge got worn out and a small piece of black plastic had actually broken off on one side. This meant that the top half of the screen couldn't be propped up on an angle on its own, though it didn't really bother me much to have it laid out flat. My 3DS models have held up perfectly well on this count in contrast.

I've been lucky enough to have had no problems with consoles working properly until this very recent odd twist with my 3DS XL having problems reading SpotPass data on my SD card. A lot of this is because I didn't buy any home consoles with my own money until the Nintendo Wii, and never at launch until the Wii U. I'm actually pretty impressed my refurbished, PS2-compatibile "fat" Playstation 3 that I got off of eBay has lasted so long without any problems. It's been used for countless hours, left on for the majorities of weekends, been used for most of what it's supposed to be used for. That thing is a trooper.

I am duly impressed Shawn was able to keep a NES functioning through 2005. Damn!

I got an unpleasant reminder about the life span of cartridges lately. When I fired up my very worn GBA SP with the fabulous Fire Emblem for the first time in years, at first it couldn't save any data. This was fixed when I tried shutting off the system and reinserting the cartridge, but that was never a thing before.

7. macattack

macattack I see you!

My family has gone through three PS2s. One broke a week after we got it, the other started failing to read discs after about six months and soon became unable to read most of everything. One of the few games that worked by the end was Dynasty Warriors 3 which is why we got so much mileage out of that game. The third PS2 worked and it still does work. I played Black a couple of weeks ago and it operates just fine.

The Sega Genesis that was my family's first game console worked just fine as well, no issues until it was given away in 1998. AFAIK it still worked fine until it was put into storage. No idea if it works now.

The Sony Playstation and Nintendo 64 I had met the same fate. Worked wonderfully until they were given away. No idea if they still work.

Nintendo Gamecube has a broken controller but other than that it works fine.

Xbox: This one has become a brick. However, we already had the 360 by the time it became a brick, so it's not really a big loss.

Xbox 360: Red-ringed after a system update two years after we purchased it. We had an extended warranty from Best Buy (with literally a week left on the plan), so we were able to get a new 360 out of the deal. The new 360 has started to have disc drive issues (it struggles to open and close unless there's a disc inside for some reason) but other than that it continues to work. Halo 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts make the 360 sound like it's crying in pain though which makes me think the 360 will red ring sometime soon.

8. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

My Gamcube and 360 controllers have buttons that don't work and the ones that do aren't as responsive as they used to.

My 360 kept scratching all my discs, so it might as well be retired. : |

9. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Boisterous Bruja

I've only had two instances of console failure:

My first Playstation 2 died when I had it plugged in during a terrible thunderstorm. The lighting killed it. The second one is fine and my parents still have it, though I don't play it anymore.

My Xbox 360 slim never suffered the red ring of death, but a few years after I got it, it wouldn't read discs and it would show "open tray" instead. Rather than buy a new one, I figured out that the problem was that the laser reader in the disc drive was misaligned. I took the Xbox 360 apart, readjusted the laser reader, and now it works fine. It sometimes gets misaligned every now and then, but it's not a hard fix.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Atari 800XL: Got it in the late 80s and amazingly still works. Several cassette games have died over the years, but I hooked it up a few months ago and was able to run Ms. Pac-Man and Montezuma out of it. Awesome.

NES: Never failed until I sold it. Eventually I got a refurbished one off eBay which works most of the time.

SNES: Always worked, but sadly it was stolen. I got a refurbished one that sadly isn't as reliable as my refurbished NES.

N64: Bought a few months after launch. Still works. It's amazing. I've probably killed like four controllers on it, though. That terrible analog.

GBA: I have two GBA SPs, both still functional.

Gamecube: First one (the classic blue one) lasted three years until a failed disc reader no one could fix showed up. We got a second one (the Pokemon XD bundle) that to this day works.

DS: My sister accidently broke my first DS Lite, so I had it fixed and gave it to her. It ended up with a small "stain" on the top screen, but runs any game without issue. I replaced it with a DSi, which now has a barely responding R button. My brother's DS Lite has a broken hinge.

Wii: Four years until the disc reader busted. Got it repaired by a third party, and works without an issue to this day.

3DS: No complaints on my launch 3DS outside of some marks on the screen from when you close it. Fortunately I have screen protectors on it and the marks are hardly noticeable while playing.

Wii U: Outside of a couple of hard locks, no complaints.

11. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

What? There was a BLUE Gamecube?

As for me, my original Game Boy would sometimes not power on when I'd flip the switch on. There were also a few times where it would just cut off on me. It didn't matter to me anymore once I got a Game Boy Color though.

The SNES I got stopped working after a few days for some reason. Anyway I was able to get a replacement at the store since I didn't have it long enough not to be able to.

A button on my PlayStation 2's controller stopped working, and I had to get a new one. The PlayStation 2 itself seems to have a bit of an issue playing DVDs though, where they usually don't start right away.

12. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

I had this same issue as well. Ultimately I just turned the 360 to lay horizontal instead of vertical and haven't had any problems with the disc tray opening since. And I have absolutely no hard data to back this up, but I haven't gotten a scratched disc since I turned it horizontal either. Something to think about.

13. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Yeah. Pretty sure it was there at launch.

[​IMG]

No idea what the official nomenclature was, but I always called it the blue Gamecube.

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Ha. Officially it was "purple."

I take good care of my machines....the only console I've had fail on me is the PS3, which I had repaired. I've heard since the PS3 was legally classified as a "toy" it couldn't use lead in its connectors, meaning the heat trap that is the original casing ends up warping them. The repair shops fix this with a "reflow" which I understand is just blasting the chips with hot air until the connectors un-warp themselves. Then, over time, it happens again.

What it means is that I may have to buy another PS3 just to finish The Last Of Us, which works the console hard. I like being able to play PS2 games in crisp HDMI with unlimited memory card space. I want my original model to last as long as possible. I'd probably pay to have it reflowed again.

15. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I only had 3 consoles failure. The first one was the Sega Saturn which stopped spinning discs. Years later it was the my first 360 which got the RROD. Finally the controller port Game Cube stop working. At first I though it was the controller but I tested it on the Wii and it work just fine.

Btw it looks like the Xbox ONE is following it predecessor with malfuntioning hardware again.

16. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

My family used to have an NES, but it wound up getting sold because then 4-year-old and then 6-year-old older sister couldn't play with it nicely. Our mom told us repeatedly that if we didn't play nice, she would get rid of it. I was careful for the most part, but my sister (who at the time would have gotten along well with Rugrats' Angelica) ignored the warning and, one day, jumped in front of the TV screen while I played Super Mario Bros 3 and wouldn't move out of the way. I started screaming and crying, and there went the NES. :(

In 2008, we got a Wii for Christmas, but during a family gathering two days after we got it, it somehow got knocked off the TV table by some misbehaving kids. Nothing was wrong at first, except the Wii now made this obnoxious buzzing noise. Four years later, however, it wouldn't run my new copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl, and it was all downhill from there. It eventually refused to run any game, so all we could do was play the games we downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel. We eventually got rid of it and got a new one.

17. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Okay yeah, technically it was "indigo". If it came in blue, I'd have gotten that, but since black is my second favorite color, that's the one I went with.

18. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Only had one console incident, with my phat PS2. A contact in the 1P controller socket bent, and thus wouldn't connect the controller. It was way out of warranty at that point, so I whipped out the screwdriver and solved the problem myself. I ended up taking one of those third party extension cords and taping it into the socket, so now the problem is fixed (if you ignore the hot purple cord wheel taped to the top).

My 360 would probably have red ringed eventually (it was a Falcon model I believe), but I put it away and haven't played it in years.

19. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

You guys have had some awful luck. Usually I fail the hardware, like forgetting a handheld on a window sill before a rain storm, etc. The only time I've had hardware fail on me was when my 360's wireless receiver died, but that was easily fixed.

20. Neo Yi

Neo Yi :D

The only time I ever had a console failure was my PS1 which stopped working after a certain point. I got a PS2 months later. That one still works and it's kicking fairly well for a twelve year old system, but it did have problems playing DVDs for a while. We pried it open to fix it, got to work again, then it refused to play DVDs again, forcing me to get a DVD player. Then some three odd years later when my DVD player broke, I curiously slipped a movie in my PS2 one day and it...somehow worked. Somehow.

Other than that, my consoles and handhelds have never failed me.