1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept art for Cid

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Captain Highwind, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

[​IMG]

I finally have something going after several rough sketches.

Go me! :anime:

2. Captain Highwind

Next:

[​IMG]

Bah, there's something missing about Cloud that I just can't think of.

#2 Captain Highwind, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  3. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

What no Tifa? No Sephiroth? (of course everyone draws him:sweat: )

4. Captain Highwind

Tifa's next.

Mandark voice: Tiiiiiiiiii......Faaaaaaa.......:eek:

5. Captain Highwind

Next:

[​IMG]

Somehow...she seems off-balance.

"Oh, I did not just go there!" [/stewie] :p

6. Brendon45

Brendon45 Manime!!!^^

I think it's that left foot but other than that great pic!

7. Captain Highwind

[​IMG]

I wasn't going to ink these, but I just discovered how to use a digital tablet the right way.

Instead of trying to make curved lines with the image at one position, keep rotating the image in positions that allow you to make upward and downward strokes only. And put a piece of paper over the tablet so that the surface isn't as slick, and make sure you use your shoulder (deltoid muscle, really) as the stabilizer muscle, not your wrist. Calligraphy classes help with practice. HUZZAH!

8. Captain Highwind

[​IMG]

I've got to stop staying up late like this. It's killing me. [​IMG]

Thanks for the tutorial on coloring, Bic!

9. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Impressive work. Your style works very well with how they looked in the game.

And you drew Cid. That's brownie points for me right there.

Nice work. I wouldn't have to use a tablet that way, simply because it seems like too much work to stop and rotate a pic every time I want to draw a curve. I'm lazy. ^^ I'm waiting for a Vincent or Sephiroth pic now. :D

10. Captain Highwind

Next:

Not sure if this is how she's supposed to look (I only used a few pictures as reference [1] [2] [3]). I haven't gotten that far at all in the game, so it's all I had to go on.

Terra from FFVI

[​IMG]

11. Captain Highwind

Next:

Not FF related, but this is a character design I had worked on...I guess it's been about a year now, and I haven't worked on it since. I'm not sure if I need to redesign the face (not too crazy about the "no eyebrows" look, and he looks too much like Gaara from Naruto). I was trying to create a main character for a web comic I was going to do, but he always looks like a "group villain" to me (i.e., a minor villain that has a cool gimmick and is eventually taken down by the hero of the story. Such characters are usually part of a group/task force supervised by the main villain of Shonen manga, such as the Juppongatana, Gung-Ho Guns, etc.)

The name I had for him is a funny story. I was going to name him something basic like "Wolf," but since there's a billion characters with that name in media, I took the easy route and translated it in Japanese (because everything sounds cooler in Japanese, right? Right :cool: ). Then "Ookami" the game came out, and well, now I feel like I should name him something else. :sweat: Oh well enough rambling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know why I was going to name him "Wolf" anyways. He looks more like a coyote. He's able to run long distances and hunt down people like a bounty hunter, using scent-tracking and other methods. (This series was intended to be in a desert setting ala Tri-Gun.) I'll probably modify the design again later (I'll give him eyebrows too, since I've gotten over the fear of drawing them :sweat: Maybe shrink his eyes somewhat too)

EDIT: Okay, I just made a quick sketch. Now that's sooooo much more eviler! ^_^

[​IMG]

EDIT: aaaand colored:

[​IMG]

#11 Captain Highwind, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  12. Brendon45

Brendon45 Manime!!!^^

Great Job! Instead of inking it you kept the pencil and gave it great detail!

Keep it up!

13. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Beautiful. I love the confident concept work - it has a rough feel to it but with an air of skill and elegance. The inkwork is very tablet and looks very technically accurate. Tablet inking is more Bic's domain than mine, personally I feel it often looks too technical for my taste, but I love what you've done with the colours on Tifa to give some earthy elements to the picture. The colouring has a very marker feel to it that gives it a little more character than the digital linework allows.

Lovely work and great to see such talented renditions of the characters I adore! Where's Laguna?

14. Captain Highwind

[​IMG]

I tried coloring it how I wanted, but I'm not satisfied with the results at all. Looks like I'm going to have to ink this one. >_<

I guess you could call this a rough color scheme. My problem is with the background. I want to set him against a black backdrop, with the green maco swirling around him, and a light glowing above his head just like you see in the ending. But the colors don't mix well with the pencil, and I just don't have the energy right now to paint the maco correctly.

#14 Captain Highwind, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  15. Captain Highwind

Another doodle

I've had this story idea in my head for awhile about how Cid finds the Shera as his new ship (After reading the short novel that covers the time between VII and Advent Children, I haven't violated any canon yet.) But here he is, during an expedition in the mountains, about to fight a monster that's guarding the ship trapped in a wall of ice.

[​IMG]

#15 Captain Highwind, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  16. Captain Highwind

Striving for page two!

[​IMG]

17. Captain Highwind

18. Captain Highwind

Rough, rough sketch, but I finally designed Link decently

[​IMG]

19. Captain Highwind

Sketched this one in Photoshop using a digital tablet. I should probably go back and fix the left arm (it looks like he doesn't have one), but I was just playing around with character-designing for the most part.

[​IMG]

20. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Love that last CID picture. The inking and colours are spot on. Has an almost European feel to it (aside from the slight Eastern undertones..). Great work.