1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comic contradictions

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Supermon, May 1, 2001.

1. Supermon

Supermon Member

Wouldnt it be awesome if the animated comics and the tv episodes were able to coordinate more (i realize this is logistically impossible). Nothing turned me off of the comics more than when the issues were later contradicted by the show.
    Two issues especially come to mind for me.

Batman Adventures #12, when Batgirl's origin is explained and then later totally changed in the show.

The Batman and Robin Adventures #16 when Catman is introduced and then later appears on the series totally different.

Can any of you guys think of any more instances of this sort of thing happening in the comics?

2. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

Superman Adventures 21, where Supergirl mentioned Aquaman who hadn't appeared on the show yet.

3. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Catman appeared on the show???

4. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

i think he meant catwoman.......hopefully.

5. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

i don't get the comics :( .....so i wouldn't know:eek:

6. Bud 'n Lou

Bud 'n Lou Let me dirty up your mind

I think he means Tygrus from the episode "Tyger, Tyger". I don't think he was really meant to be like the Catman character though. Oh, and I just remembered that "Tyger, Tyger" was a B:TAS episode, and the Catman issue was from The Batman & Robin Adventures comic, which came out to coincide with the revamped B:TAS. So, the two characters are definately separate.
    Oh, and Batman Adventures #12, with the different Batgirl origin WAS a contradiction of the cartoon, but I thought it was an OK issue anyway. And it certainly wasn't enough to turn me off to the comics. The Batman Adventures was a REALLY good series, and I highly recommend it.
    Other than issue 12, I can't think of anything from the comic that went against the cartoon...I'll think about it though. :D

7. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

The last story arc from that series was great, too. It was about Hugo Strange and Rupert Thorne. I remember reading that and thinking "Whoa, I need the rest of this series, now!" That arc even used the word HELL, and also, it had a nice Kid Batman type thing goin' for it.

Templeton ruled on the series, tho, I must admit. His stories were some of the best. I really liked his Two-Face issues, too.

8. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

I think the Cat Cult leader on TNBA was meant to be a reworked Catman....

9. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Yep, RockItShipper is right - the Cat Cult leader was indeed a rework of the Catman character.

10. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Ah, now everything is revealed. Thanks.

11. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

More inconguities

Lest we forget the origins of Joker and Two-Face. In the comics the Joker was a minor crook called the Red Hood who survived his toxic dip thanks to his crimson headgear--though he was mutated into a hideous clown. In "Mask of the Phantasm" and "Beware the Creeper" we see him as Jack Napier, the driver for some crime kingpin; though his disfigurement at Ace is discussed more in-depth and is relatively similar to the original story.
    Two-Face, in the comics, had half his face burned off by acid thrown by a mobster during a trial; in the series, a foundry explosion left half his body covered in scar tissue. BTW, that was an excellent two-parter, but it always bothered me that at the end of part one his right arm, hand, and leg looked smooth and unburned, but at the beginning of the second half it's evident it wasn't just his face that was scarred.

12. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

I believe you're a bit confused, Dr. Belch.

We're talking about the Batman Adventures comic, and it's sequels, not the DCU comics, such as Batman, Detective Comics, etc.

But the discussion is welcome nonetheless.

13. Supermon

Supermon Member

Yeah, it was the TNBA episode, Cult of the Cat. They didnt call him "Catman" but he led a cult obsessed with cats and his name was Thomas Blake just like comic's Catman.

14. Fish

Fish Danish Dynamite

Re: More inconguities

Was the Joker ever referred to as Jack Napier in the animated series??

<>< F I S H ><>

15. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

They mentioned Jack Napier once, in a very early episode. I think Dreams in Darkness. But it was that one time, and since then, they've taken that out.

16. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

comic contridictions (harley quinn)

The one instance that i can think of is how harley quinn appeared in no mans land in the comics. But, in the show they did not evan have a no mans land.
    Bob grey

17. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Again, that's comparing the mainstream comics, or the DCU comics, to the cartoon. The contradictions that Superman meant were the ones between the show and the comic Batman Adventures (and Batman & Robin Adventures and Batman: Gotham Adventures).

But yes, Harley's origin was different in normal comic continuity (she also appeared in 1999, 7 years after she was in the cartoon). It just worked out that way. I don't know why. Paul Dini wrote the book, though, and he created Harley Quinn.