CN Talkback: Pokemon The Series: XY: "Heroes--Friends And Faux Alike!" [8/2]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Light Lucario, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel through the Kalos region, making new friends and catch more Pokemon along the way.

Recently:

Jessie captures a Pumpkaboo
    Froakie learns Double Team in an attempt to learn Quick Attack.
    Ash participate at the Battle Chateau where he meets Grant, the Cyllage City Gym Leader.
    Fennekin somehow knows Hidden Power and learned Flamethrower.
    Ash defeats Grant to earn his second Kalos Gym badge.
    Ash and his friends meet the Champion of the Kalos region Diantha and learn about Mega Evolution.

Last Time:
    "The Bonds Of Evolution!"

As they continue on their journey, Ash and his friends get to me Diantha, the Champion of the Kalos region. Of course, Ash wants to battle her and Diantha agrees. However, Team Rocket shows up to kidnap Diantha's Gardevoir. Will Ash and his friends be able to rescue Gardevoir before it's too late?

This Time:
    "Heroes--Friends and Faux Alike!"
    Saturday, August, 2nd, 8:00am Eastern

Encore: Sunday, August, 10th, 8:00am Eastern

Before Ash and his friends arrive in the next town on their journey, Team Rocket comes off with a new plan. They dress up as Ash, Serena and Bonnie to create as much chaos and confusion as possible in order to capture Pikachu. Will their plan be a success and can Ash stop them before it's too late?​

Notes:

The 17th season of Pokemon is officially here to promote the sixth generation.
    Hoenn Confirmed! Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be released on November 21st.
    More new designs, including some Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members and the Pokedex, and Mega Metagross have been revealed.
    Different Pikachu have been revealed in relation to Contests with Pokemon Amie returning as well.
    Pokemon X and Y are available worldwide!
    The Mega Evolution Special I is available on Pokemon.com
    Pokemon XY premieres are now at 8AM instead of 8:30AM.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW Adventures in Unova are now on weekdays at 8:00am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please avoid using spoilers, including vague ones, in these talkbacks. Thank you.

2. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

Somehow, I can't help but think all cartoons and anime have that "Villain frames the hero" scenario. I'm sure you've seen it in episodes like Batman's "Feat of Clay" two-parter.

I'm more concerned about that than why Clemont hasn't seen through Team Rocket's disguise. That doesn't matter.

You want to know what's getting old? Team Rocket's attempts to capture Pikachu.

Not the best nor the worst. Just so-so.

3. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

Getting?

I liked James in this episode. I thought he had some good lines when he was first impersonating Ash, I kind of stopped paying attention halfway through, but I feel like it wouldn't have gotten any better from there.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Aside from you, I really haven't seen anyone make a big deal about how they can't see through Team Rocket's disguise in years. Most people just accept that they can't recognize them at this point, so there's really no point in making a big deal about it or claiming that it's a controversy.

Now that's something about Team Rocket that people still complain about. Capturing Pikachu is the main reason why they're following Ash and his friends, so of course they'd focus primarily on trying to get it.

As for the episode, I thought that it was okay. Team Rocket pretending to be Ash, Serena and Bonnie was pretty funny. James' voice for Ash actually sounded pretty good. The idea that they could fool people into thinking Pikachu could float in the air was both funny and sad in how dense people could be in this show. Constantly saying their names and where they were from to get them to get into trouble was pretty funny as well. Doing all of that to get Clemont away from the group so that they could get his help with his inventions was actually a pretty good plan. Granted, it also relied on Clemont not thinking that there was anything suspicious by going into a warehouse for these scientists, but it was pretty good for a Team Rocket plan.

I was surprised that Giovanni was actually happy to hear that they had caught two episodes. Considering how long they've probably been in Kalos, that's really not anything to brag about or get happy about. I kind of liked it when Giovanni didn't even know their names. It was more fitting than praising them, especially when they haven't done anything praiseworthy for Team Rocket. At least they still have their personalities instead of being the boring grunts they were for most of BW.

Clemont's reaction to seeing his inventions being used against them was pretty funny too. Ash trying to use Pikachu against that robot was a pretty poor decision on his part. At least Clemont was able to find Team Rocket and his invention lasted longer this time than at the beginning of the episode. Overall, it was an okay episode. There were some funny moments and some good moments for Clemont at the end. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch as well.

5. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I can understand the writers using the fact that Ash and friends never recognize Team Rocket as a crux for plot lines, but Clemont is depicted as too intelligent a person to fall for schemes like that. Team Rocket has been following them around for a long time and practically anything that happens to them is 90% likely to involve TR. Clemont shouldn't be a fool. TR's scheme even involved them proudly proclaiming their "names" as they conducted illegal activity. Who does that? Clemont should have caught on the the fact that the suspects knew their names.

I also didn't like Giavonni praising TR as if they are valuable employees. They've spent "years" trying to capture one pikachu when they could have easily captured and raised their own pikachu in that time. Giavonni being unaware of who TR is would explain a lot of the reason why TR is able to travel around using TR money.

I know Pokemon is a show targeting children, but they shouldn't be treating children as idiots.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

It is pretty rare when something bad happens to them that doesn't involve or connect back to Team Rocket. Even when they're not appearing in every episode, they still serve as one of their primarily source of conflict for a good bulk of this series thus far. Clemont is smart, but he's also naive if he didn't see anything wrong or suspicious with two scientists working in a warehouse or coming up to him out of nowhere, so the idea that he'd fall for their disguises isn't too much of a stretch or something new. Although, he should have picked up on how the suspects knew their names since that would be more suspicious.

To be fair, I think that it kind of does make sense as to why they'd focus on this one Pikachu at this point due to its previous battle experiences. Plus, Team Rocket aren't known for raising strong Pokemon. Giovanni praising them for capturing two Pokemon would have made more sense if they were rare Pokemon within the Kalos region. They're probably considered rare in other regions, until they suddenly start showing up in the other regions as that tends to happen with the new generation of Pokemon, but I kind of doubt that Inkay and Pumkaboo are considered rare Pokemon in Kalos. If they were, they would have considered sending them to Giovanni instead of keeping them for themselves.

I'm not sure if I'd say that they're treating children as idiots, but the show could certainly benefit from having better writing.

7. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I dunno, most of the reason why Ash's pikachu has so much experience is because it keeps defeating Team Rocket. Other than that there are plenty of Pokemon that have defeated Pikachu. I guess I am just venting because I wish the Pokemon writers would mix things up more with different antagonists. The Team Rocket diversions are bland. From what I can remember, Giovanni hasn't sent any other Team Rocket members in the regions that Ash has visited.

I was using hyperbole with the idiot comment, but I would still appreciate it if the writers used more intelligent writing so that the young audience is encouraged to think more.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I wouldn't say that Pikachu defeating Team Rocket gives it so much experience. Most of that just boils down to using Thunderbolt to make them blast off. This is the same Pikachu that tied with a Latios, which I don't think too many other Pikachu could pull off, and it's been in a ton of Gym battles, so that's the kind of experience that I was thinking of. There were other Team Rocket members in Unova, many of them under disguises to give the trio some package to help them grab the meteorite, but I think that was downplayed/forgotten after they had to skip the Team Plasma two parter. There was a group of Team Rocket grunts capturing the Red Gyarados in Johto as well. There was also Cassidy and Butch who were in Kanto and the Orange Islands under Giovanni's command. Although, starting with the Lugia arc in Johto, they started following orders from Professor Namba for some reason and then they became more like a carbon copy of Jessie and James starting in Chronicles instead of being their more serious versions. Still they could do something more with Team Rocket or better yet use the new evil team more often instead. Actually adapting events from the games with Team Flare could have been interesting, but I guess that they'd want to wait until any changes happen with the third version/sequels before doing that.

I certainly wouldn't mind that either. The show could benefit quite a bit with having better writing.

9. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Cohorts,

this was an awesome episode with lots of funny moments. i actually thought ash, bonnie and serena were going to be detained for most of the episode and it would be up to clemont to clear their names but it came as a shock when that didn't happen.

my only complaint is that giovanni seems to have mellowed out considerably over the past few series. he was always calling them buffons or forgetting who they were in past series but ever since black and white he's been treating them like their his best agents. it doesn't make a lick of sense.

i usually enjoy episodes that mainly center on team rocket and i usually love episodes in cartoons where the villains impersonate the heroes so it was a a win-win for me. this was one of their best plans and they almost succeeded.

10. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

I didn't watch the last series, but aren't they just telling him that they're the ones that take down regional teams?

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Yeah, they've been doing that since I think AG with saying that they're the ones who defeated Team Magma and Aqua. Honestly, it's pretty strange that Giovanni would believe them, especially when he didn't seem to remember them during AG and DP.

12. GolfDude

GolfDude Member

well considering how much they worked together in the meloetta episodes, and the trio "saving" giovanni's life.. i think him remembering their names isnt that much of a stretch anymore...

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

The problem is that they aren't competent. Even in BW, they didn't really accomplish much of anything with their missions, despite being more serious and more organized. Plus, all they've done in Kalos is capture two Pokemon for themselves rather than for Giovanni since if the latter were the case, they would have given them to him after they were captured. So, Giovanni acting like he's pleased with their progress in Kalos doesn't really make sense. Acting like he didn't even remember them would honestly make more sense and be more fitting, even with their action in BW in mind.

14. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Two small updates, just about the schedules:

- Aside from the new episodes, Pokémon repeats are now airing at 7am Sunday-Friday, including the XY encore on Sunday. That includes this very encore.