CN Talkback: Pokemon The Series: XY: "A Battle By Any Other Name!" [7/12]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Light Lucario, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel through the Kalos region, making new friends and catch more Pokemon along the way.

Recently:

Jessie captures a Pumpkaboo
    Froakie learns Double Team in an attempt to learn Quick Attack.
    Ash participate at the Battle Chateau where he meets Grant, the Cyllage City Gym Leader.
    Fennekin somehow knows Hidden Power and learned Flamethrower.
    Ash defeats Grant to earn his second Kalos Gym badge.

Last Time:
    "Climbing Up The Walls!"

Ash and his friends have finally arrive in Cyllage City. Of course, Ash heads straight to the Gym to face Grant. Before Grant accepts his challenge, Ash must first perform a daunting physical feat and once he reaches Grant, the challenge truly begins. Will Ash be able to reach Grant and defeat him in battle for his second Kalos Gym Badge?

This Time:
    "A Battle By Any Other Name!"
    Saturday, July, 12th, 8:00am Eastern

Encore: Sunday, July, 20th, 8:00am Eastern

As Ash and his friends continue on their journey, they find out about a baking contest to see who can make the best Poke Puffs. Serena wants to enter and comes across a trainer named Miette. The two of them develop a rivalry over their baking skills. Team Rocket comes by to steal the berries. Will they get the berries back and will Serena win the contest?​

Notes:

The 17th season of Pokemon is officially here to promote the sixth generation.
    Hoenn Confirmed! Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be released on November 21st.
    More new designs, including some Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members and the Pokedex, and Mega Metagross have been revealed.
    Different Pikachu have been revealed in relation to Contests with Pokemon Amie returning as well.
    Pokemon X and Y are available worldwide!
    The Fancy Pattern Vivillon is available for download until July 31st.
    The Mega Evolution Special I is available on Pokemon.com
    Pokemon XY premieres are now at 8AM instead of 8:30AM.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW Adventures in Unova are now on weekdays at 8:00am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please avoid using spoilers, including vague ones, in these talkbacks. Thank you.

2. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

Is Serena going to be relegated as the eccentric character who has no real goals? It's nice that she decided to travel with the group but it would be nice for her to have a reason beyond liking Ash. Oh, and the writers seem to be really pushing the relationship thing this episode. It was odd that Miette liked Ash after only knowing him for a few minutes. I didn't really see the connection. Since Ash remains clueless I doubt much will happen though.

What could have been a redeeming moment for Serena turned out to be another fault to her character. She waited until after she was attacked to tell Fennekin to do something and, right after that, flamethrower was enough to scare the Swirlix away. I was hoping that Serena would have taken some initiative rather than be in need of rescue again.

In the latter part of the episode the Swirlix dispatched of Team Rocket in a couple of seconds. It's odd that they spent so much time running away from Team Rocket rather than attacking. The rest of the episode is typical filler.

I really want Serena to be a better character but right now it seems like Bonnie has contributed more than Serena has.

I was bothered by the language used to describe Serena's relationship with Ash. Miette used the words "take care of Ash" in the English dub, but I wonder what phrase the Japanese dub used. I personally disagree with the use of "take care of" as a synonym for marry - especially since that language usually only comes from females - but I guess there aren't many neutral ways to say that in English. 'Dating' and 'marry' sound too serious for children and 'love' doesn't necessarily mean date. I'm kind of being a hypocrite though because I find it cute when Bonny tries to marry off her brother using the same words.

3. NovelleX

NovelleX Destroyer of Threads

I believe the original version went with the literal "wife" route.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty decent. Even though Serena has shown an interest in baking, I wasn't expecting her to make Poke Puffs. Miette kind of had a condescending attitude right off the bat. She didn't have a problem with her Slurpuff stealing Serena's Poke Puffs, but she had a bit of an attitude about it on top of it by saying that they were just decent.

The Poke Puff contest was a bit unexpected. Bonnie's whole gag with asking the chef to take care of her brother felt weird, although Miette asking Ash if he had someone to take care of him was even stranger. The tension Serena felt about making it to the final round reminded me of the tension of getting past the appeal round in Contests. Man, I really miss Contests.

While I didn't mind Serena getting upset at Miette so quickly after they met, I thought that accusing her of getting all of the berries was pretty stupid. She was running up to them asking if they had found a store with berries, so she obviously wouldn't have all of the berries. Serena's screams when the Swirlix attacked her was insanely loud. She did try to get Fennekin to attack them before it was tied up.

Team Rocket's machine getting all of the berries in the forest made me wonder if they used it in the town's store. That's mainly because none of the store owners acted like their merchandise had been stolen and I doubt that Team Rocket would buy up all of the berries in the town either. Ash's attempt to stop the machine was pretty reckless, but that goes with his character.

I should have realized that neither Serena or Miette would win the Poke Puff Contest. At least they seemed to be on better terms near the end. Although, Miette telling Serena to tell Ash how she feels about him or else she will was really stupid. Why would Miette suddenly develop feelings for Ash when they barely interacted in the episode? More importantly, why are the writers giving Ash two female characters who have crushes on him when the romance isn't going to go anywhere?

Overall, I still thought that this was a pretty decent episode. It was better focus on Serena than I think the last episode was. I wonder if becoming a Poke Puff chef could be her goal. I think it would be a lame goal, but that would at least be something for her to do. I think that Serena is an okay character, but I definitely think that she could be so much better if they focused on her more and gave her more development. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch too.

5. NovelleX

NovelleX Destroyer of Threads

I thought it was pretty evident that she wasn't being serious, only pushing for Serena to make a move since it's so blatant that she's interested in him, and thus thought a taunting threat would be the best way of carrying out said push.

In additional news: After considering suicide, Miette's Japanese VA has withdrawn from voice acting, so it's doubtful that we'll even see her anymore.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That would make more sense, but it still came out of nowhere. Sure, Serena's crush on Ash is pretty obvious, but aside from that line about if Ash has someone to take care of him, there wasn't much focus on that detail to make her taunting threat not feel like it came out of nowhere.

I'm glad that she didn't commit suicide. They could easily just give her a different voice actor. If they had future plans for her character, they could just get a different voice actor. Giovanni's original Japanses voice actor dying didn't prevent them from using him in BW. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Miette didn't appear again since I didn't care that much for her, but if they plan on having Serena be into baking Poke Puffs as her goal, then she'll probably appear again. I wouldn't really be that happy if that was her goal since that would be pretty weak and make it even less likely for her to do something with Fennekin, but it would be a goal and that would be the main reason why Miette would come back.

7. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

I really wish Bonnie would stop embarrassing Clemont by getting a girl to marry him. Has that ever been annoying? I think yes.

Anyway, it's a good thing Miette didn't stay a thorn on Serena's side. Her attitude at the beginning sure was disturbing.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

It's a long running gag, so that's unfortunately not going to stop anytime soon. I wish that she would at least focus on the characters' personalities and not just their looks or that they can cook. At least that would be something kind of nice instead of focusing on superficial elements. Besides that, I still don't really see why Bonnie would want to get someone to marry Clemont. I know that it's suppose to be cute, but it just seems odd since Clemont hasn't really come off as someone who needs someone to depend on. He lacks in self confidence a bit, at least in his skills as a trainer, but that's about it.

I think her attitude was more rude and condescending than rude, especially when she didn't have much of a problem with her Slurpuff stealing Serena's Poke Puffs.

9. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Comrades,

after this episode i'm convinced nothing substantial is going to be done with serena. she'll get some filler type focus episodes every once and a while, take part in some minor battles, and catch 2 or 3 other pokemon but beyond that, nothing much. same goes for clemont other than a gym match with ash in the future. and to be honest i'm okay with that. i would love to see a another character with major storylines similar to may and dawn but at least this cast is much more likeable than the one in black and white so i can't complain too much.

i think the gag with bonnie finding a wife for clemont is cute. clemont seems like he could be a workaholic type. if he wasn't on an adventure with ash and didn't have bonnie to take care of he would probably be in the gym all day battling trainers and building his inventions. maybe bonnie feels that once she is old enough to go on her very own journey clemont would neglect his health and be lonely at the gym. its mostly just a gag but its sweet that shes trying to look out for her brother.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I don't know if I'd write her off completely like that. While she hasn't done much and she definitely could be handled so much better, I don't know if I'd say that they won't do anything substantial with Serena. This is episode twenty-six out of a hundred plus series that will go on for at least another couple of years, depending on how long the sixth generation lasts. It just feels a bit too early to say that they won't do anything substantial with her character. It's pretty unlikely that they'd give her something like Contests, although I'd love that since I really miss Contests, but I imagine that they'll give her a goal at some point. Clemont is the secondary male character and they usually don't really do much in general. He has more potential for personal growth due to his self-confidence issues in his skills as a trainer and traveling with Ash to become stronger, but that's about it aside from his future Gym battle with Ash.

Despite Serena's wasted potential, I would still easily take her over Iris. At least she isn't annoying and unlikable on top of having wasted potential like Iris. I liked Clain, but writing wise, he was in the same boat as Iris in that he had no development over the course of the series.

I can kind of see where you'd get the workaholic vibe from Clemont, but based on what we've seen of him, including the flashback to what happened at the Gym with his robot, I doubt that he would neglect his health. Maybe he'd be lonely with Bonnie traveling on her own, but even then he'd have his father to visit and his Pokemon to keep him company, so it wouldn't be like he'd be all alone with no one at all. I can see why it would be considered cute and sweet, but it just comes off as weird when Clemont really hasn't come off as the type who needs someone to take care of him. He really isn't that dependent on others to the point where he would fall apart if it wasn't for Bonnie being there.

11. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

It is way too soon to write Serena off right now. Yes, she hasn't done much, but even Ash has only captured 2 pokemon with neither of them evolved. Perhaps if Serena still hasn't done anything by episode 50 she won't play a large role in any events, but give her a chance.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

To be fair, starter Pokemon in the main cast never evolve this early in the series, although I think both Starly and Pidove had evolved by this point in their respective series, but I agree that it's too soon to write her off completely. If she hasn't made any progress with exploring different options for a goal, found a goal or did any kind of training with Fennekin after the first year's worth episodes, then I'd be more willing to say that she wouldn't do anything substantial in the series.

13. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

I saw it more as teasing her rival Serena than actually having feelings for him. She may find him attractive, which she wouldn't have to know him for, and was perceptive enough to sense how Serena really felt.

Bonnie's catch phrase in the Japanese version is "Have my brother, s'il-vous-plait" (at least that's how the fansubbers interpret it). So it's not all that different, though in that particular scence, Miette actually asked Ash if he had a "promised bride", in other words someone he was already arranged to. Which is somewhat common in Japan, not so much here, thus why she just mirrored Bonnie's line in the dub. Also, Bonnie has occasionally used the word "wife" in the dub, so it's not like they're trying to hide anything.

14. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Compatriots,

you have a lot more faith in the staff than i do. i would love to be proven wrong but i feel like if they had bigger plans for serena they would have hinted at something by now. the ryhorn racing, pokevison, and pokepuff episodes seem like big indicators that they don't have a clear vision on what the character should be doing. even some of those scenes in the early episodes before she joined ash seemed a bit directionless.

maybe the writers creative juices will start flowing once enough time has passed.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

In their defense, it's not like they have much of anything from the games to work with. There isn't really anything to do in X/Y besides collecting Gym badges, so there's nothing like Contests to where they could work in a battle driven goal into her journey. They could definitely have her explore more options to look into for a goal, train her Fennekin or try to capture a Pokemon, which at this point has only happened once with that Corsola a few weeks ago, but they sadly haven't done that. Those episodes seem more like they're just not giving Serena a specific goal right now, rather than they don't know what she should be doing. For all we know, becoming a good Poke Puff chef could be her goal since she likes to bake so much. I don't think I'd like that since it would be a boring goal and not one that she could use her Pokemon as anything more than decoration, but it would be something. I never thought that she would be into Ryhorn Racing either since she clearly didn't like it, even though her mother's lessons sunk into her.

One theory I've heard about is that they might be saving her goal for some new feature in the third version/sequels to X/Y, but considering how that probably won't happen until next year if the rate of one or two new main series games coming out a year keeps up, I'm not sure if they're going that route. Serena obviously wouldn't get something like Contests at this point since something like that would have been introduced by now if they were going for a big sidequest goal for her. It didn't even take May that long to get into Contests when AG started. She'll most likely have some kind of goal later on. If we're still at this point in the second season of XY where she hasn't made any attempts at finding a goal, hasn't trained Fennekin and/or hasn't captured a new Pokemon, then I'd be more willing to write her off. At this point, it still feels a bit too early, especially when XY will run for at least another couple of years.