Climate Change is Here -- And Worse Than We Thought

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Shawn Hopkins, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Title of an editorial in the Washington Post from James E. Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Hansen is releasing a study Monday that shows that the extreme weather effects we're seeing are caused by climate change and the severity of the problem is worse than predicted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d90-11e1-8e43-4a3c4375504a_story.html?hpid=z3

In a new analysis of the past six decades of global temperatures, which will be published Monday, my colleagues and I have revealed a stunning increase in the frequency of extremely hot summers, with deeply troubling ramifications for not only our future but also for our present.

This is not a climate model or a prediction but actual observations of weather events and temperatures that have happened. Our analysis shows that it is no longer enough to say that global warming will increase the likelihood of extreme weather and to repeat the caveat that no individual weather event can be directly linked to climate change. To the contrary, our analysis shows that, for the extreme hot weather of the recent past, there is virtually no explanation other than climate change.

So, yeah, hopefully this will be enough to get people to stop bickering over whether it even exists and actually do something about it. It's not hopeless if we act soon, Hansen says.

There is still time to act and avoid a worsening climate, but we are wasting precious time. We can solve the challenge of climate change with a gradually rising fee on carbon collected from fossil-fuel companies, with 100 percent of the money rebated to all legal residents on a per capita basis. This would stimulate innovations and create a robust clean-energy economy with millions of new jobs. It is a simple, honest and effective solution.

2. sun

sun You stay, I go

A friend of mine has been discussing climate change for more than 30 years. He has read so many scientific reports on this that he is kinda an expert.
    So much evidence exists in support of climate change, that it is undeniable. So much energy is wasted saying this is not true. I will compare it with the flat earthers.
    Many people believed the earth was flat in the 1300s. The ancient Greeks proved it was round two or three hundred years before Jesus was born. This information was known to learned people in the 1300s. But that number was small since so few people could read, and the info was mainly in places where hand written books were kept. (no printing presses then)
    And books then were only for the rich and those in religion that had time and opportunity to read and learn to read. So, many thought the earth was flat.
    They were wrong.

3. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

Two straight years where we've gone above 110... And even gone above there more than one day... in a row.

That's pretty crazy, as I personally don't remember it ever getting above 105/106 before last summer. I know it had, but it had to have been at least 12 years.

Anyway, why does it have to be Global Warming? Everything is always out to spite me. It needs to be Global Cooling. I can't stand hot weather.

4. sun

sun You stay, I go

The best term is "climate change"...extremes in climate...In Alaska, I read a couple of weeks ago, they are experiencing the coldest summer in memory....Climate Change...Rapid extremes without warning...due to man made conditions. I recall a couple of years ago, there was a hurricane that came ashore in Texas. So much rain, and the extent and depth of the storm was not predicted. It wasn't the wind, it was the amount of rain that wasn't known. It came on so fast that it wasn't expected and the downpour was awful. That is the change. Global warming is a poor term I am told..

5. Shawn Hopkins

6. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

First they say its global warming, then when that doesn't happen, they say its global cooling.

All of it is just a farce, a way to keep the American people (and the citizens of the world) in fear, I.e., under control.

7. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Try reading the material instead of listening to politicians next time.

8. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Frankly, I think that the fact that the polar ice caps are almost gone is proof enough that climate change is real. Well, that and one of the worst worldwide droughts in years that occurred this summer.

9. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

You know how leaving the windows up in your car during summer makes it into an oven? In this case, the planet is the steering wheel and the clouds are the windows.

10. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

I would say that is a pretty good illustration.

11. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

I have never, ever, seen it referred to as "Global Cooling", much less seen the terminology actually switched to it for "convenience" (or at all) like you're suggesting. I don't mean to be rude here, but I think you just don't understand what exactly "Global Warming" means/entails. It's not that simplistic.

12. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I'm of the mindset that there's just not anything we can do about it. Get every American to agree to whatever green initiatives you want, and the rest of the world will just keep on trucking. I've seen people cite China's efforts to develop green technologies, but that's miniscule compared to all of the dirty factores and power plants that they're putting up. We can't get the entire world to agree to change things overnight, and in the decades that it would take to change even a fraction of the things, the problem is just going to get far worse. May as well put all of that money in a space program and hope we get lucky with colonization.

13. Shawn Hopkins

That's extremely fatalistic. Off-planet colonization is an extremely distant proposition. And if climate change gets bad enough, it could make the world too unstable for it to ever happen. Colonization is of course the only way to truly ensure that man survives because an asteroid strike or something could wipe out the whole planet, but it's no excuse not to take care of the world while we can. As climate change effects worsen, even countries like China will be more willing to clean up their act. It just sucks that we're all going to have to feel the pain before we'll take the medicine.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I think that it would be better to try doing something about climate change as opposed to just giving up. It's true that it will take a long time for a significant change to be seen and countries coming to agreements on what to do exactly is pretty problematic unfortunately, but that still sounds more appealing to me than just thinking there's nothing we can do and letting other generations deal with the problem. It's just a matter of people and countries taking the right course of action, instead of ignoring the problem's existence.

15. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Have you seen what went on in Greenland this summer?
    I haven't, but the satellites were watching. 80% of the the ice was melting. If you ever see that again they've either doubled the human life expectancy or sell your seaside property.

Well, it'd be pretty bad if the rest of the world was holding off because they know whatever they do is useless because they'll never be able to make America go along.
    It's really no excuse for throwing in the towel.

16. Shawn Hopkins

And it's not even future generations. It's now, it's us, the damage is done and the consequences are happening in our lifetimes. If we want to start reversing the problem, we'll have to do it. If you think it's a big task for us, imagine how much tougher it would be for future generations with resources depleted by decades of climate change consequences. The worse it gets the harder it will be fix, and the less people will be able to fix it.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That's certainly true and shows why it would be much better to take action sooner rather than later. Huge results wouldn't appear for a long time, but it would be much better in the long run to put effort and make changes to help reduce the damaging effect of climate change instead of doing nothing about it.

18. Lanmanna

Lanmanna New Member

Our world has been changing since the beginning of time. I highly doubt humans have THAT much of an impact on the world. If people want the world to stop changing so bad, they better do something about those crazy volcanoes.

19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Since the Internet is a unstable place to seek knowledge, can anyone recommend a book that allows me to update the subject? One that is from a reliable and neutral source?

20. Shawn Hopkins

It's difficult to find one book that's written from an unbiased perspective that could give you a complete overview of such a complex issue. I checked Amazon and "The Rough Guide To Climate Change" looks good, though. The Rough Guide is a rather well-respected book series.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Climate...qid=1348912159&sr=8-2&keywords=climate change

I would recommend, also, going to the NOAA climate portal.

http://www.climate.gov/

NASA's climate site.

http://climate.nasa.gov/

And the IPCC's site.

http://www.ipcc.ch/

As for the "World has been changing since the beginning" argument, of course it has. It has changed for various reasons. Now it looks like we're the reason.

Here's an interesting site with some responses to global warming skepticism. I do not include this in the list of sources above, this one clearly has a viewpoint.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php