1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Media should release the Jackson 5 cartoon on DVD!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by JabarR, Aug 7, 2009.

1. JabarR

JabarR Member

Ever since Michael Jackson's passing I was hoping (before that actually happened) that Classic Media would release the Jackson 5 cartoon show on DVD. And with everything going on right now, they should do it right now! Who here agrees with me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Optimus81

Optimus81 Member

Wow, I had no idea they even made a Jackson 5 cartoon. Who made it? Was it Filmation?

3. JabarR

JabarR Member

4. Doyng

Doyng Member

I don't know......

It will be a problem to have this released for some of the following reasons:

Rankin/Bass (distributed by Classic Media) only owns part of the series, the characters outside of the J5 and materials. Motown (now distributed by Universal Music) only owns the J5 name, and music catalogue. Universal would have to distribute this series on DVD if they really want to cash in on the J5/early Michael craze.

In it's syndication history, Worldvision distributed the series. I am not sure if CBS Television Distribution (who owns Worldvision) would still have some rights to still distribute this series (maybe, I could be wrong on this)

The estate of Michael Jackson may (or not) own the entire series.
    Maybe his family may (or not) want to have this released on DVD.

If (AND IF) this does get released officially, who's to say that ALL of the J5 and Michael Jackson songs will be on the episodes? Remember, some classic TV shows that were released on DVD were edited for legal reasons
    (courtesy of the property holders who have the legal rights to distrubute your favorite TV shows. They want $$$$ just to put it out there). One might say, it's better than nothing. I would rather see it all, that would be a wonderful, nostalgic experience.

A perfect example is the Ruby-Spears version of Alvin and The Chipmunks.
    Although some of their covers of famous pop songs are intact on the DVD's, there's still some song substitutions heard in some episodes. For fans, it ruins the experience of what they remembered about the episodes.

Hope that shed some truth on this subject. RIP MJ

5. ikey2

ikey2 Member

I would like to see it, but as said before due to legal issue it wont happen sad to say.

6. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

While Rankin-Bass were the producers of the show, much of it's production was sent to the Halas & Batchelor studios in England for completion.

7. JabarR

JabarR Member

That doesn't mean there can't be a compromise. They can have Jermaine ro the rest of the guys do interviews and and have Donald Fullilove (who did the voice of the animated Michael) do an interview too. Classic Media can talk to Universal about even adding the J5's lost specials on the DVD set, "Goin' Back To Indiana" and "The Jackson 5 Show".

8. stargirl

stargirl Active Member

I saw the first episode of this cartoon, and it was too enjoyable! Michael Jackson did love cartoons, so releasing the cartoon on DVD would be a great way to pay tribute. :)

9. ecprod

ecprod Member

Classic Media

Classic Media will do only what they feel, will bring them the most money. Take Rudolph The Rednosed Reindeer, the most watched Christmas Special of all time. There is never before seen or heard material out there but they won't purchase it, why? Because they would have to spend some money. That program has generated millions, The voices on the Toy products don't even get paid. Travesty!!!

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

If Classic Media and/or NBC Universal/Motown can't settle the red tape and song/music rights to release the Jackson 5ive cartoon series on DVD, how come Capitol Records/EMI and King Features and Classic Media never released as of yet the 1960's Beatles Cartoons on DVD? Same reasons?

BCI did release the complete Mission Magic series on DVD after clearing the rights to all the Rick Springfield songs in the series some years ago. But it would also be costing an arm and a leg to get the cartoon series and song/music rights on DVD for each of these musical cartoon stars:
    The Osmonds (ownership between NBC Universal/Polydor and Classic Media)
    New Kids on the Block (ownership between DIC/Cookie Jar and Sony Music/Sony Pictures Television)
    Hammerman (ownership between DIC/Cookie Jar and M.C. Hammer's music royalties whether or not Capitol/EMI still owns Hammer's music library)
    Kid 'n Play (ownership between Saban/Disney and Kid 'n Play's music royalties)

#10 dth1971, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
  11. JabarR

JabarR Member

Eagle Vision (who handles all the Universal Music stuff) could do a deal with Classic Media and put out the cartoon series, you know.

[​IMG]

12. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

Considering that Michael Jackson was the greatest entertainer of all time (in my opinion, and most people agree), this would make Classic Media TONS of money!! They can even have his family provide the bonus coverage. I don't see why they wouldn't release the J5 cartoon. The legal red tape pales in comparions to the almighty green dollar bills!

As much money as Michael made when he was alive, he made even MORE after he passed, so this would be an EXCELLENT idea! I liked the cartoon personally, and would definitely buy it if it ever gets released. I hope it does.

13. Mark The Shark

King Features/Hearst was still distributing the Beatles cartoon series into the 1990s (it aired on MTV and Disney Channel at various times). But in the late 1990s, Apple and King Features made a deal to get the Yellow Submarine film (also produced by King Features) out on DVD -- and depending on which version of the story one believes, either (1) Apple negotiated to get the rights to The Beatles cartoon series as part of the deal, or (2) King Features just "threw in" the cartoon series when they sold the rights to the Yellow Submarine movie to Apple. Either way, the cartoons now belong to Apple (i.e. Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the estates of George Harrison and John Lennon). The way Apple operates is, in order for any project concerning the Beatles to proceed, all four have to unanimously approve it and sign off on it. Given that the Beatles' original UK albums are only just now being remastered/upgraded on CD for the first time since the late 1980s, the cartoon series certainly is not high on their list of priorities. Would be great to have it out there, though.

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But how could all 4 Beatles approve the rights to get the Beatles cartoons on DVD? Only Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are still alive while John Lennon died in 1980 and George Harrison died in 2001!

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Nice imaginaton of a J5 DVD set!

16. Mark The Shark

For legal purposes, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the estates of George Harrison (Olivia and Dhani Harrison) and John Lennon (Yoko Ono) have to sign off on any Beatles-related projects. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

17. ecprod

ecprod Member

Mj

Money always talks, unfortunately its only one way with Classic. As far as MJ, I disagree, he was not the greatest entertainer of all time. Though we are all entitled to our opinion.

18. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

Would be nice if the cartoon series got released anyway despite how long it may take (rather they didn't approve Robert Zemeckis' nightmare project).

19. Cartoon-Buffoon

Who would want this on dvd? Is'nt it to risky seeing as how he was accused of doing things with young boys? I highly doubt parents would buy this dvd for kids or even them selfs if they think he did things like that. A lot of people will stand by what they think and not put money towards something like this just to stand by what they think is true. I think he did what he did and there is no way i would buy this dvd if it came out.

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Lots of people would want The Jackson 5ive cartoons on DVD. Believe it. (The OP created an entire thread requesting it, so obviously people do.)

For every person who feels the way you do, there are an equal amount of people who don't believe that MJ did anything wrong or just plain don't care what he did. For whatever reason we haven't gotten The Jackson 5ive on DVD yet, I can assure you that's not the reason.