1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Civil War" Mini-Series & Crossover Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, May 3, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

36.0%
  2. ****1/2

12.0%
  3. ****

28.0%
  4. ***1/2

4.0%
  5. ***

4.0%
  6. **1/2

4.0%
  7. **

4.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

8.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

According to Marvel, THE LANDSCAPE OF THE MARVEL U IS CHANGING AND IT’S TIME TO DECIDE: WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

CIVIL WAR #1

[​IMG]

WRITER: Mark Millar
    PENCILS: Steve McNiven

THE STORY: A conflict has been brewing in the Marvel Universe for over a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother--and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse! As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships, and families begin to fall apart. Civil War, a Marvel Comics event in seven parts, stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon! Civil War – the cross-over that rewrites the rules - begins here in this double-sized first issue!

Comments? What are your thoughts?

2. Karkull

Karkull Mod of Chaos

Is anyone else a little disturbed that, in order to make Civil War, the creative team trashed the New Warriors to do it? I know that they were recently remade with that reality TV bent, but that was last year (and was probably done in order to get them to this point). It's a sad reality of Marvel and DC that, in order to create the illusion of change, they periodically kill of their teen heroes and replace them with younger ones. I guarantee that, in about ten years, it will be the Young Avengers that get killed in that year's mega-crossover event.

3. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

I think it's just because a lot of the younger characters are B-listers as many of the younger iconic characters (Spiderman, the X-men, Dick Grayson) have already aged. They're not getting killed because they're young but because they're B/C listers, that's not much better but what ya going to do? And to be fair to Marvel, they did depower most of their mutants including Magneto, completly revamp the Avengers, kill some iconic fellows in Disassemlbedand they've been sticking to their guns with a good amount of the changes.

With New Warriors, I liked being disturbed by how they were treated. They're light characters and they we're using them to show the pro-reg side of this isn't a business where you can take things lightly. It was disturbing to see these light character be involved in this, but it wasn't a bad thing.

As for the actual book, here's my review from the weekly thread:

Civil War #1
    READ CIVIL WAR. I don't care what you think about Marvel or Mega-Events. READ CIVIL WAR. It's really, really good. A lot of it is talking heads, yes. But with that we get one really brutal attack on a popular hero and an awesome Capt. America scene. Capt jumps on a jet after beating up a bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D. gunmen and then off-panel lands the jet in a football field and then takes the pilot out for burgers and fries The only problem with this issue is that if you've read any of the Road to... stuff or use the internet then the opinions and actions of some characters won't shock you. Also, if you're worried about Millar being heavy handed with his political commentary like he is in Ultimates, don't worry. We get a very respectful Bush in this issue. Ugh, damn it, just please read this book, it's really good and not what you're expecting. Art's super-rad too. It's not a perfect or an amazing book, but my mega-event standards it's gold. House of M was pretty good by mega-event standards, this is so good that I don't consider it a mega-event. READ IT!
    A

4. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

Is it necessary to read all of the titles that precede and interlace with Civil War? I don't know if I can afford all those books, since I'm not necessarily a Marvel reader, and I'm of the mindset that any comics titles should be read starting with issue #1 and on so you don't miss any action. Besides, I don't know if I can handle Marvel's sense of "reality" that a limited series like this would bring.

I know it was recommended to me by somebody at work, but... :shrug:

5. Eddie G.

Marvel's been doing a good job at keeping their event titles rather self-contained. Last year's House of M titles didn't do much but flesh out the altered Universe. Besides Marvel is making a push for this title to bring in casual readers while still having the tie-ins to drain their regular readers. I recomend reading the New Avengers: Illuminanti isn't a must-read, but it's a nice prologue.

Beyond that, there is nothing in issue #1 that a reader with some knowledge of superheroes will have trouble with. Just remember that Tony Stark gave Spiderman a red and yelllow power suit, that's about it.

6. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

Great start for the book

7. halinar

halinar Active Member

Very solid start. It was kind of weird that no one felt much of any pitty for the dead warriors.

The whole "protesting mother" thing with the kid named Damien?!?! Hummm...:)

It hasn't prompted me to pick up any new books, although I'm giving Avengers though Civil War before I decide it's fate on my pull list.

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

For those who missed it, Joe Quesada and Paul Jenkins were on NPR talking about Civil War a few days ago. The RealAudio stream is up on the NPR website now, and Jenkins just talked about the experience at Newsarama.

I'm curious to see if he really does sound like the GEICO Gecko now. I may even attempt to shelf-read #1 when I go to Free Comic Book Day this Saturday.

-- Ed/Ace

9. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Well, it was a pretty good start, but I'm still kinda leary about this whole thing... I mean, superhuman/vigilante registration is a plot that has been done so often and so well (Watchmen, anyone?) that they'd really have to pull off something special to make it seem anything but derivative....

I am pretty interested in where Iron Man's going with all this. In the Amazing Spider-Man "Mr. Parker Goes to Washington" arc, he seemed to be coming out AGAINST the Superhuman Registration Act, making me wonder if he's playing some kind of double game here. Hey, even when the greater themes come across as perhaps a bit trite, a little plot and intrigue could go a long way toward redeeming this whole thing.

10. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Kikoutei Densetsu

Hay! Wasn`t firestrom apart of the NW? Is she....is she???:crying:

11. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Pretty good start to this series. The scene with Cap taking on all those guys was just amazing. I'm definitely interested to see where this series takes all of the heroes of the Marvel Universe, as there should be some pretty big developments going on now.

12. SpiderPunk

SpiderPunk anti-hero

I'm digging where this is going. I think that it'll be cool mini. I trust Miller, he knows what he's doing. I must admit that I'm finding myself a little more physiced about some of the spin-off, than the actual serise. Maybe it just cause I'm a Journalism major, but I'm totally looking forward to Frontline. I think that it's a very cool concept and idea.

13. Eddie G.

There hasn't really been a mainstream superhero story of this magnitude done before. Other comics have played with the concept and as you said, stuff like Watchmen has used it, but I think the level that Marvel is bringing it to is what seperates it from everything else. It's not 100% original but it's not really that cliche of a story either.

The way I've been reading it is that he doesn't want the Registration Act, he likes the way things are, but with dead children he sees the importance of the act.

14. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

But he was already in support of the act duriing "New Avengers Illuminatti", which was before the dead children came along.

15. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

so is it worth getting is my question?

16. Eddie G.

But even then, it was a different situation. He was for organizing the heroes initially because of another situation where a lot of people died. Then with Illuminati we had Hulk killing people and he was worried about what would happen to his fellow heroes like Spiderman if they didn't just go along with the act. The "It was fun while it lasted" exchange between him in Richards basically showed that he liked being this superpowered cowboy. That's why I'm really digging the Iron Man character in this whole thing, he doesn't want to support the Act but he feels that he needs to.

17. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

Ditto. I need to know by tommorow, when I'll be picking up my free comics and visiting my local store. This comic looks fascinating, and I'd really like to read it if it's as good as people are saying.

~s7

18. Eddie G.

Read it, there's great art and a lot of content that makes the price tag worth it. There's no reason not to read it, there's nothing bad about the book, I mean it could be better like all fiction can be in theory, but there is just nothing bad about the book.

19. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

i Just Read "Civil War #1 May '06" No Should i get the other issues of Civil War: X-men, Young Avengers, Frontline

CIVIL WAR VARIANT # 1 is this the same thing as Civil War #1

#19 Moto Pete, May 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2006
  20. kaine23

kaine23 Gurren Brigade member

How much is it?