1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Cinderella Gets Weird" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I actually revisited Cinderella III myself last month-When the first movie turned 65, I had a triple feature with it, the documentary included on the Platinum DVD, and Cinderella III. Cinderella actually stands as my least favorite of the Disney Animation Studios' fairy tale adaptations, but its status as the movie that saved Walt Disney's career made me feel obligated to celebrate its anniversary.

EDIT: The brunette stepsister is Drizella.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I find it odd that I actually have this dvd. But of all the Disney DTVs maybe this is the best one to have. Seeing how you did this I thought I give it another look.

If this was meant to be a series then was the series set in an alternate reality from the movie?

Lady Tremaine with magic is Maleficent. Sleeping Beauty came out nine years after Cinderella, so maybe her first name was Maleficent and nine years after learning about magic she became an evil sorceress with her own mountain fortress. That could make Prince Phillip Cinderella's son. The problem with that is Cinderella looks like it takes place in the late 1800's and Sleeping Beauty is in the 14th century.

Hey, at least the evil step sisters still have their feet and eyes intact at the end of the original story.
    Turning back time looked pretty cool.

There were some little moments that were quite funny. The first laugh is when she is in line to get a wheel of cheese and the guy doesn't recognize her but she flashes an irresistible smile and he lets her go on. Then the next guy in line gives him a big smile.
    I also liked it when they shrink the cat to the size of a bug it still beats up the mice.

Anastasia seems too nice. It's hard to believe she has come this far and hasn't learned from her mother how to grab on to a man and drain him for all he's worth. However, this is one of the best examples of reforming an otherwise villainous character. It makes for a good story that she sees the light because she wants someone who really wants her.

By the end it almost seems like she is getting close to the king. It would be funny if they got married and she became the queen but in the paintings we see her getting courted by a baker. Another thing about the paintings, they did one of the queen stepping on the kings feet while dancing. Remarkably candid for a royal painting.

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Peter wrote that Cinderella II: Dreams Come True was originally going to be a TV show, not Cinderella III.
    On a side note, I only had a few real problems with Cinderella III when watching it so soon after the first movie:
    • With the possible exception of "More Than a Dream", the songs don't sound that great.
    • When Prince Charming and the King are discussing the search for the girl who fits the slipper, I would have liked hearing the Prince say he knew Cinderella was the one because she fell in love with him without knowing he was royalty ("I haven't met the Prince.").
    Otherwise, it felt like a solid update of Cinderella's story.

Additionally, did you ever see this ad for when Disney released both of Cinderella's sequels on the same Blu-Ray Disc? I felt amused by how the editors spent so much time glorifying the third movie, they left only a little bit of time to acknowledge the second movie's inclusion.

#4 Dsneybuf, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  5. quiteliterally

She ends up with the baker in Cinderella II (the aborted TV series). Which not only implies that II and III exist in the same canon, but II comes chronologically after III. The mind boggles.

I'm all for villain redemption stories, but the sequels' tendency to behave sympathetically toward Anastasia is actually one of the things that annoys me most about these films. Squarely, because I think it's unfair that Drizella continues to be villainised and punished while her sister doesn't, when there was absolutely nothing in the original film to suggest that Anastasia was in any shape or form the nicer of the two - there, they were equally bratty and nasty, that was it. What's so special about Anastasia that suddenly made her better and more worthy of redemption than Drizella? A friend of mine reckoned that it was because Anastasia had hair like Ariel's - it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it came down to something as stupid and arbitrary as that.

6. DaffyDonaldQW93

I liked the reference to SNL's "TV Funhouse" that was funny